Trail braking

Buckster

3178574.thumb.jpg.8b7ae170f2413b5a8994649134e9a77f.jpg

Looking through some pictures I noticed my foot hovering over the brake pedal while riding the Tail of the Dragon in North Carolina, trail braking, using front or rear brakes or both going into a corner is a great way to stabilise the bike and increase turn in, on heavy cruisers like mine rear brake alone is best, sports bikes work best with both or front only and trail bikes definitely front only on tarmac. With longer bikes you gain some pivotal force as well as extra loading on the front, with other bikes it is more about loading the front tyre and stopping any head shake from developing. You can use it right up to the apex of the turn but you need to have fully released the brake by then. It is a technique well worth learning. Here endeth the lesson.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Steve Coogan Shrug GIF

I don't analyse what I do......in fact I can't analyse what I do.

My mind just doesn't work that way.

I just get on a bike and it goes......that's all I know!

The way I treat it is like with a car, you have a total envelope of available force to apply, or grip, and you can distribute it between applying it from the front or rear by braking or accelerating, or from side to side with cornering but not both at 100% at the same time. In this way, trailbraking is letting go of as much brake as you progressively need in order to pass that force over to the cornering side. 

I understand this might be explained in the best way but it makes sense in my mind ...

• Like 1

I always trail brake on my bikes, best way to get through a corner (as well as weighting the pegs) , works ace on gravel .  I've never ridden anything as heavy as your bike Buck, it must take some balls to get a big unit like that hauled over in a bend.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Pedro said:

The way I treat it is like with a car, you have a total envelope of available force to apply, or grip, and you can distribute it between applying it from the front or rear by braking or accelerating, or from side to side with cornering but not both at 100% at the same time. In this way, trailbraking is letting go of as much brake as you progressively need in order to pass that force over to the cornering side. 

I understand this might be explained in the best way but it makes sense in my mind ...

You've been out with me Pedro.....do I do any of that?

As far as I'm aware if I've done any braking it's before the bend and I'm then accelerating all the way through it. I think! :classic_wacko:

10 minutes ago, XTreme said:

You've been out with me Pedro.....do I do any of that?

As far as I'm aware if I've done any braking it's before the bend and I'm then accelerating all the way through it. I think! :classic_wacko:

Apparently I know as much as you do about your riding, from what I remember you do exactly what you are saying, but I thought you were trying to embarass me by suddenly accelerating into a corner, it’s like riding behind someone with motorcycling tourette’s

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Apparently I know as much as you do about your riding, from what I remember you do exactly what you are saying, but I thought you were trying to embarass me by suddenly accelerating into a corner, it’s like riding behind someone with motorcycling tourette’s

:classic_laugh:

That's the way I've always ridden.......I don't know any different. Maybe that's what disturbs others?

And I suppose always riding in the centre of the road and then veering from one side of the road to the other may be unsettling to some as well. :classic_laugh:

If anything, the way I ride is loosely based on the classic Hailwood style........where smoothness is the key, In the right gear going into the bend, taking a line to straighten it out as much as possible to minimise lean angle, and accelerating all the way through.

Minimising lean angles (without minimising speed) may sound odd......but remember that my early years were on bikes that didn't handle, didn't brake, and the tyres were fucking square things that didn't grip. Even in the dry!

So I had to be as smooth as possible to compensate for all those things, because invariably I was belting around with a load of other bikes! Not plodding by any means!

And I suppose that method of riding is still with me today. That's all I know!

I've always done it instinctively,  Interesting what you say about trail bikes though Buck cos I've always used the rear brake to sit the bike further down into a corner. I find front brake use tends to sit the bike up. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MooN said:

I've always done it instinctively,  Interesting what you say about trail bikes though Buck cos I've always used the rear brake to sit the bike further down into a corner. I find front brake use tends to sit the bike up. 

Let's face it, you are a cunt so there's that.

• Haha 1

I do alot of trail braking in to corners but as has been said all before the apex of turns but that's because my normal riding style is getting a wriggle on unless it's in town riding then I ride at normal speeds.

I think it lends itself to my track days 

Fast and smooth wins the racemotion motorcycle GIF

11 hours ago, boboneleg said:

I always trail brake on my bikes, best way to get through a corner (as well as weighting the pegs) , works ace on gravel .  I've never ridden anything as heavy as your bike Buck, it must take some balls to get a big unit like that hauled over in a bend.

Looks good though and there are few things better than harassing power rangers through the bends.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mawsley said:

I use the front brake to control the gyroscopic action of my lofted scooter wheel - which is most of the time because I am a hooligan and cool.

The SS180 I had in 71 was always wheelying.....but that was probably due to me being clumsy with the clutch cos I didn't know what the fuck I was doing! :classic_wacko:

4 minutes ago, XTreme said:

The SS180 I had in 71 was always wheelying.....but that was probably due to me being clumsy with the clutch cos I didn't know what the fuck I was doing! :classic_wacko:

Cos I don't know what the fuck im doing you meant pete?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Richzx6r said:

Cos I don't know what the fuck im doing you meant pete?

50 years in June......and still totally clueless as to WTF I'm doing! But the odd thing is I'm still here!

So despite not knowing how I ride, or one end of a spanner from another......somewhere along the line I must have got something right.

Unfortunately I don't know what that is! :classic_wacko:

I try the inject some serious content into an otherwise inane forum and all I get is some ginger twat complaining he knows nothing but he does like fluffy kittens.

Star Trek GIF

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Buckster said:

I try the inject some serious content into an otherwise inane forum and all I get is some ginger twat complaining he knows nothing but he does like fluffy kittens.

Star Trek GIF

How about a vid of you on your bike demonstrating how you do all this new age riding shit?

Maybe if I saw it done I might understand it a bit.

4 hours ago, XTreme said:

How about a vid of you on your bike demonstrating how you do all this new age riding shit?

Maybe if I saw it done I might understand it a bit.

I posted a photo of me doing this old school riding shit.

31 minutes ago, Buckster said:

And it is pretty awesome.

I do have an honest question about the Harley, does it not scare you it has such little leaning clearance?

53 minutes ago, Buckster said:

So how do I see you doing this trail braking shit from a photo?

32 minutes ago, Pedro said:

And it is pretty awesome.

I do have an honest question about the Harley, does it not scare you it has such little leaning clearance?

You just have to exaggerate the body english at time by moving off the saddle from time to time, you can scrape the floor boards fut then you have to be very careful as the floor board mounts are frame mounted and if the hit they can unload the rear wheel.

14 minutes ago, XTreme said:

So how do I see you doing this trail braking shit from a photo?

You can see where my right foot is.

1 minute ago, Buckster said:

You can see where my right foot is.

Yes.....but how can I tell the pressure you're applying and at what point in the turn?

And is the front brake being used as well?

24 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Yes.....but how can I tell the pressure you're applying and at what point in the turn?

And is the front brake being used as well?

You wouldn’t be able to tell in a video either, no front brake.

• Like 1