Trail braking

Buckster

54 minutes ago, Buckster said:

You just have to exaggerate the body english at time by moving off the saddle from time to time, you can scrape the floor boards fut then you have to be very careful as the floor board mounts are frame mounted and if the hit they can unload the rear wheel.

I didn’t enjoy one bit any of the times a hard part of a bike has grounded against hard tarmac. The fear it’ll unload any wheel is real!

On my bike I can do whatever I want on tarmac and it’ll never scrape unless it’s indeed a crash, I wouldn’t like if scraping was a weekly thing.

And @XTreme, troll a little less!

2 minutes ago, Pedro said:

And @XTreme, troll a little less!

I'm not......I'm genuinely curious about this!

I can't get my head round this concept of braking when leaning over......cos if I'm going to do any braking it's been done way before that point.

8 minutes ago, XTreme said:

I can't get my head round this concept of braking when leaning over......cos if I'm going to do any braking it's been done way before that point.

i was always told finish your braking before you start cornering

2 minutes ago, skyrider said:

i was always told finish your braking before you start cornering

Nobody ever told me.....I just found out the hard way that hitting the brakes when you're keeled over doesn't end well.

6 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Nobody ever told me.....I just found out the hard way that hitting the brakes when you're keeled over doesn't end well.

no and especially when its wet

• Like 1

On 22/04/2021 at 22:20, XTreme said:

The idea is that once you're leaned over at speed in a bend, applying a little rear brake will a) compress the rear suspenders slightly and b) slow the forward momentum slightly, both of which will ( unless countered by steering or throttle input) tend to push the bike further over into the corner, which is useful to know if you've gone in too hot. incorporating this information and technique proactively rather than reactively, allows you to corner faster or tighter than if not using the technique.   

I don't use the front brake in a corner as this tends to sit my bike up, out of the corner. ( slowing the front end will transfer mass forward and outwards).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MooN said:

The idea is that once you're leaned over at speed in a bend, applying a little rear brake will a) compress the rear suspenders slightly and b) slow the forward momentum slightly, both of which will ( unless countered by steering or throttle input) tend to push the bike further over into the corner, which is useful to know if you've gone in too hot. incorporating this information and technique proactively rather than reactively, allows you to corner faster or tighter than if not using the technique.   

I don't use the front brake in a corner as this tends to sit my bike up, out of the corner. ( slowing the front end will transfer mass forward and outwards).

The ginger twat will never work it out, anyway his Kymco can’t go fast enough to get him into trouble.

• Haha 1

The concept of trailbraking is letting go off brakes as you are entering a corner.

You not “hitting the brakes” leaning over or starting to brake when starting to lean...!

9 hours ago, Pedro said:

The concept of trailbraking is letting go off brakes as you are entering a corner.

You not “hitting the brakes” leaning over or starting to brake when starting to lean...!

Actually you don’t generally release the brake until you hit the apex of the bend.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Buckster said:

Actually you don’t generally release the brake until you hit the apex of the bend.

Release the brake? I don't even apply it because I'm not belting along the straight and then need to make adjustments.

I like to maintain the same speed on straights and bends......so all I'm doing approaching it is decelerating and dropping down the box.

Unless I'm in town traffic or coming to a complete stop I rarely touch the brakes.

9 hours ago, Pedro said:

you don't want to "hit" anything once you're beyond a certain angle, The clue is in the title " Trail" braking, you're just feathering the trailing (rear) brake into the corner, allowing the use of the brake as a further control of angle and speed ( in conjunction with throttle and bar inputs), usually only releasing it completely, as Buck says, at the apex as the bike then needs to sit back up and accelerate out of the corner. 

( some sort of disclaimer here about not confusing road and circuit, safety ahould be first consideration etc etc and that I am in no way affiliated or accredited by the california highway patol or anyother competant or incompetant organisation)

5 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Release the brake? I don't even apply it because I'm not belting along the straight and then need to make adjustments.

I like to maintain the same speed on straights and bends......so all I'm doing approaching it is decelerating and dropping down the box.

Unless I'm in town traffic or coming to a complete stop I rarely touch the brakes.

it's not a "right" or "correct" way of riding Pete, it's just "another" way of cornering, I use it either when I've misjudged  a corner and gone in too fast and need to correct, ( backing off the throttle will sit the bike up and make it run wide) or am trying to keep up with faster bikes / riders and need to carry more speed through the corners.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, XTreme said:

This thread isn’t for you Pete, over in general chat there is something about quilting that would suit you better.

• Haha 3

As one of my racing friends said....hold it wfo into the corner until you see God then back it off.

But what the hell do I know? I just jump on the silly things and ride the piss out of them. 

That's why I like 450 cc motard so much. I can ride them balls to the wall and not exceed my skill set.