Welcome Tango

Admin

@Tango

Great to see you Bob!

@Clive and @Mawsley........look who's turned up now!

For the rest of you, I've known Bob for some years through another forum.......he's a Brit (and yet another oldie) who recently escaped to France.

@MooN.......Bob will need some advice from you about buying a bike in France at some point.

And it's OK, I haven't mentioned what you are! Hopefully @Buckster doesn't let it slip!

• Thanks 1

Thanks, Pete.

Hi guys, newbie here. 

I'm currently bikeless, having had to sell my beloved Speed Triple when I moved to the South of France recently. Being of the older persuasion, I'm looking at something more sensible, but with some mild off-road capability, as there is a forest with a network of fire tracks near our new home, which I'd like to explore.

For those that don't know me, I've ridden bikes for 45 years now and feel like a fish out of water currently!

Anyway, enough waffling. Looking forward to conversing and maybe meeting up with you guys as things improve 

Cheers, Tango

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, XTreme said:

I think everybody here is an old lifer Bob....... @Lone Amigo was even riding in the 1950's. :classic_ohmy:

Yes, I guess those of a certain age grew up around bikes more than some of the younger generations. Fair play to @Lone Amigo, long may he continue to ride.

2 minutes ago, Mawsley said:

Welcome Tango, hope you get sorted with machine soon.

Thanks @Mawsley. Like a kid in a sweet shop at the moment! The only restriction is being a pensioner now.??

25 minutes ago, Tango said:

Thanks, Clive.

In case you didn't know Bob.....you know Clive as Fred!

Turns out that Fred wasn't actually his name anyway........he was just as shocked as I was when he found that out last year! :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Clive said:

It as from waaaay before that time.

Chinese where sailing in junks then.......now they sell the 2 wheeled version.

OK.....you gave a bird one in the dark on top of the bins behind the chippy and you claimed to be your mate Fred cos she fancied him?

Hey.....we've all done it! No shame in that!

• Haha 2

Welcome Bob from another Bob ?

I just had a look at your location, you're not that far from the Pyrenees.  There should be heeps of good stuff to ride around there if you go for a dual-sport type of bike.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lone Amigo said:

Pete is the cause of all the insanity, wildness, and weirdness you will find here.

Absolutely true! 

@Tym was a completely sane, well balanced individual till he came under my Svengali type influence back in 2002.

Then he changed into.......

rambo GIF

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Buckster said:

Welcome, if you are going to ask Moon for advice keep in mind he is a cunt.

Well yes there is that of course......but in his defence, he is a cunt that knows about France!

Thanks for the welcome, all. The research into my need bike continues, but, due to being a wimp, I'll probably wait until it's possible to go out without freezing my nads off! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tango said:

Thanks for the welcome, all. The research into my need bike continues, but, due to being a wimp, I'll probably wait until it's possible to go out without freezing my nads off! 

Just do your research Bob......price levels, good dealers etc.

Something like a Strom would be a good fit for you.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tango said:

Do you have a certain style of bike in mind?  I have been researching bikes as I am thinking of getting a second one to fill in the blanks when my Himalayan is broken.

23 hours ago, Grasshopper's Ride said:

Do you have a certain style of bike in mind?  I have been researching bikes as I am thinking of getting a second one to fill in the blanks when my Himalayan is broken.

My ideal bike would be a Triumph Tiger 800, but I've also been considering the Honda NC750X and the CB500X. So, a mid range adventure style bike. Another alternative is a more road orientated bike for distance riding and a small off-road bike for the fire tracks through the woods. Still plenty to think about. 

• Like 3

Just now, Tango said:

My ideal bike would be a Triumph Tiger 800, but I've also been considering the Honda NC750X and the CB500X. So, a mid range adventure style bike. Another alternative is a more road orientated bike for distance riding and a small off-road bike for the fire tracks through the woods. Still plenty to think about. 

Something like the Honda NC750 is what i'll be looking at when i can no longer get my leg over the taller adventure bikes. I took a DCT one out as a courtesy bike when mine went in for a service and it was so easy to ride on any road or track in any weather the only complaint was the rear shock but this was on an early model and not the X. It was ridiculously good on fuel and i must have enjoyed it because when i took it back i had put 250 miles on it just bumming around. It was also good at killing Pheasants i had two on my trip the girl at the service centre wasn't impressed by the giblets hanging off it when i took it back LOL

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Something like the Honda NC750 is what i'll be looking at when i can no longer get my leg over the taller adventure bikes.

Bloody heavy though.......around 220kg I think!

28 minutes ago, Tango said:

I looked at the CB500X but for some reason I don't like it.  I am also wanting to get something around 650cc - 800cc.  The NC750X beside the Triumph just looks cheap.  The Triumph is sexy and the BASE one is not TOO much more then the Honda.  But would the Honda last forever??

But for some reason I think a Japanese bike will have better reliability, only from past experience, but that is maybe not so true today.  Anything should need less work than my Himalayan does.....lol

Happy Shopping, let us know what you get in the end. ?

• Like 1