Fourth Weekend in March!

XTreme

11 minutes ago, Marcel said:

No not really...just parts are so expensive...maybe things are different where you live..it easily double what a normal car would be.

I've checked and the parts for mine seem reasonable, well consumables seem that way at least.

Do I need a diag for the rear brakes on it with it being an electronic handbrake?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Marcel said:

No not really...just parts are so expensive...maybe things are different where you live..it easily double what a normal car would be.

Probably difficult for you to have to figure out how to use a wrench instead of your mallet.

• Haha 7

1 minute ago, busabeast said:

I've checked and the parts for mine seem reasonable, well consumables seem that way at least.

Do I need a diag for the rear brakes on it with it being an electronic handbrake?

Not 100 % sure on your model..I've got two working diagnostic scanners at the shop..most newer model cars ..you need a scanner to put the rear brakes in service mode...you can probably dig up that info on your model on the net...imagine it does

2 minutes ago, Marcel said:

Not 100 % sure on your model..I've got two working diagnostic scanners at the shop..most newer model cars ..you need a scanner to put the rear brakes in service mode...you can probably dig up that info on your model on the net...imagine it does

Mine is the 2014 a6 (c7) model so given it had an electronic handbrake I was going to guess it does, im going to email icarsoft to see if I can get the key for audi on my handset that way I won't have to put down loads of money for something new

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Buckster said:

Probably difficult for you to have to figure out how to use a wrench instead of your mallet.

The long pins  that hold the pads in place were seized solid in the calipers..metal pins into a aluminum caliper in the salt belt..not a great combo...but with patience I managed to save the calipers...God know what those things cost..and that's if you can find some aftermarket replacement for them...pretty sure it's a dealer idem 

• Like 1

Just for reference if you guys are wondering what's the cost of a scanner these days...are oldest is a snap on model wich cost around  12 g ...and about 2 g to have it up to date every few years...we bought another one a few months ago  6 g ..sold by carquest...forget the name...but it's complicated to run and slower than the snap-on...but it cost less to have updates on it...

• Like 2

The snap on is what I have invested into it with updates...it's the third one I've bought and will be my last...they make so after a few years that you can't have them updated and your force to buy and new one...a fucking money racket if you ask me...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Marcel said:

The snap on is what I have invested into it with updates...it's the third one I've bought and will be my last...they make so after a few years that you can't have them updated and your force to buy and new one...a fucking money racket if you ask me...

I would just hack the ecm with my laptop.

28 minutes ago, Buckster said:

I would just hack the ecm with my laptop.

I wish it was that easy...I guess the way it works is that snap-on pays for a fee from every car manufacture for the info..and passes the fee to the scanner owner...wich is normal...but making a scan tool oppselete after 3 years to 4 years where they stop the updates ..is a ripped off...I would gladly pay for the updates...cause I like it...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, busabeast said:

Mine is the 2014 a6 (c7) model so given it had an electronic handbrake I was going to guess it does, im going to email icarsoft to see if I can get the key for audi on my handset that way I won't have to put down loads of money for something new

electric handbrakes, fucking stupid idea.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I've been using a snap on solus ultra for the last 8 years. Never had the £800 a year updates but now seeing cars I can touch with it.
My old place of work also have the same, (with updates at £800 twice a year), but have also got a Launch which they say is much better.

The VAG leccy brakes can be done without a diag or workshop mode. Check YouTube.

• Like 2

Just got out for a bit on the domi to see if I get any oil out of the fork seals and all seems well at the mo.
Found some abandoned shit for Pete.IMG_5737copy.thumb.jpg.a89fa4cde0e2b315eed379259ecfdf9c.jpg

IMG_5736copy.thumb.jpg.9c3207d55856c1934e1a5c11b3fafd82.jpg

Why board a door way, stick another door in said boarded door way and then someone tries to get through it.:classic_laugh:

IMG_5738copy.thumb.jpg.791e0f4a38b971c5bf67e3069680c02e.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

12 minutes ago, Catteeclan said:

Just got out for a bit on the domi to see if I get any oil out of the fork seals and all seems well at the mo.
Found some abandoned shit for Pete.IMG_5737copy.thumb.jpg.a89fa4cde0e2b315eed379259ecfdf9c.jpg

Why board a door way, stick another door in said boarded door way and then someone tries to get through it.:classic_laugh:

One of the better schools in Norfolk?

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Catteeclan said:

Nice one Dave!

Abandoned village next? :classic_laugh:

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Nice one Dave!

Abandoned village next? :classic_laugh:

Then the midgets?

dwarf GIF

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Catteeclan said:

you rode over to wales ?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Six30 said:

electric handbrakes, fucking stupid idea.

I have to agree, yes it's a cleaner interior with just having a switch but it's like they tried to reinvent the wheel and in fact they have gone backwards with it

• Like 5

1 minute ago, busabeast said:

I have to agree, yes it's a cleaner interior with just having a switch but it's like they tried to reinvent the wheel and in fact they have gone backwards with it

just some else electrical to go wrong ..and it will

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Catteeclan said:

I've been using a snap on solus ultra for the last 8 years. Never had the £800 a year updates but now seeing cars I can touch with it.
My old place of work also have the same, (with updates at £800 twice a year), but have also got a Launch which they say is much better.

The VAG leccy brakes can be done without a diag or workshop mode. Check YouTube.

I know a diag is probably worth it to have, it definitely saved me a good few callouts with the jag but I'm hoping icarsoft will be able to help me with an audi update 

• Like 2

Just had a look and a vcds is about 80 quid from a reputable place so may just get one of them, you can do most things with that 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, busabeast said:

I was in my bosses Audi which had an electronic hand brake, i pulled up to a barrier and put the handbrake on while i waited for it to be opened when it opened do you think i could turn the bloody thing off i had to phone the boss to ask him how and after i could see it on the dashboard telling me what to do i missed that in my panic :classic_laugh:

• Haha 5

21 minutes ago, busabeast said:

Once that auto brake is sorted you'll change your mind.
I was the same but now I'm used to it and like it.

Shit for handbrake turns in the snow though as it won't operate at speed.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, busabeast said:

I've had electronic handbrakes on my cars for the last 20 years, never any issue with them! Hill starts are a doddle! I've had Stop/start on my cars for probably 15 years too. No issues with that either.

The car I use mostly now is an Audi Q2 1.6 Tdi. Mandy got it as her company car when it was about 3 months old, ex-demo. It's a 2017 model and has 140000km on it now, although it does fewer miles now, since she got her new car. This last year has been the most expensive,  as it needed tyres and brakes all round and the battery died a couple of weeks ago! Other than that, it's just needed routine servicing. It's a damned sight  more comfortable than the Toyota Yaris Cross that she's got now! 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Marcel said:

Did a front brake job on a 2018 Q 50 think it was.last week.equipped with brembo brakes..put it this way...glad I wasn't paying for it..

I had the disks and pads replaced on all 4 wheels of a VW Toureg on Friday. It was painfully expensive. I’ve had it for the last 52k and this is the first set of pads I’ve put on it…I don’t use the brakes much 🙂

• Like 4