Getting my bike back on the road again.

9 hours ago, Buckster said:

Only 28,000 km past the recommended interval.

It takes that long to get the tank off.

• Haha 2

You need to take the tank off to change the filter? Shit design!

I suppose it’s extra hard to do while moving, hence taking 28k

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Marcel le Moose Fondler said:

Is the tank made the same way has the old 950 adventure..two halfs  ?

No, it's a one piece that has the fuel pump mounted in a cavity and it has two tongs that slide onto a couple of rubbers, it takes two people to get the damn thing off.

• Like 1

More on the brakes, here are the calipers that are ready for piston removal, the pistons are numbered but you can't see that, after much searching I have found the method of getting them out with compressed air, put a G Clamp on one piston and wrap an old rag around the other, pop one out and then reverse the procedure, sounds easy on paper but should work without damage or injury.

I have found a bearing supply company in the area (100k's away) that has seals so I hope that they can match up the ones in the calipers, the KTM parts fiche says no stock so here's hoping that they are not a special size.

20240422_101032.jpg

• Like 6

While waiting for someone with a compressor to be available I removed the SAS and the EPC fittings from the bike, cleans up the look without all those hoses going everywhere and doing nothing, was very satisfying, tell you what though, its rather cool on the garage, bloody 17C, I am writing a stern letter to the Prime Minister about it.

Found a pic of the garage before I tidied it up, looks much better now.

And a bonus moose of a size that Marcel can probably handle withoput to much assistance from Billy Bob.

Why would I disable the EPC system?

The EPC system reduces engine performance in 2nd/3rd gear and is only there to meet emissions requirements.

Why would I disable the SAS?

The SAS works together with the catalytic converter in the exhaust cans, also to reduce emissions. If you have aftermarket cans it is pointless and can cause problems.

Removing the SAS is not recommended with standard cans.

Why would I remove all of this stuff rather than just disable it?

Because it is unnecessary, ugly, messy, restricts access to the engine, and because it is something else to go wrong, something else you won't have to consider if you do have problems.

The repair manual actually warns that the EPC valves will malfunction if they are exposed to vibration.

20240425_104358.jpg

018.jpg

Early_Velvet.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 22/04/2024 at 04:13, zzzak said:

More on the brakes, here are the calipers that are ready for piston removal, the pistons are numbered but you can't see that, after much searching I have found the method of getting them out with compressed air, put a G Clamp on one piston and wrap an old rag around the other, pop one out and then reverse the procedure, sounds easy on paper but should work without damage or injury.

I have found a bearing supply company in the area (100k's away) that has seals so I hope that they can match up the ones in the calipers, the KTM parts fiche says no stock so here's hoping that they are not a special size.

20240422_101032.jpg

What make are those calipers? There's a possibility that they're used by other bike manufacturers on their bikes? I found that the front calipers on an old CB750F2N that I had were exactly the same as used on the early model Triumph Street Triple 675! Ones from the Honda were as rare as rocking horse shit, but there were plenty of the Triumph ones around! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tango said:

What make are those calipers? There's a possibility that they're used by other bike manufacturers on their bikes? I found that the front calipers on an old CB750F2N that I had were exactly the same as used on the early model Triumph Street Triple 675! Ones from the Honda were as rare as rocking horse shit, but there were plenty of the Triumph ones around! 

Brembos.

51 minutes ago, zzzak said:

Brembos.

So, there's a good chance that they're used on other bikes, just a case of working out which ones and then seeing if rebuild kits are available for them if you can't get them from KTM. 👍

2 minutes ago, Tango said:

So, there's a good chance that they're used on other bikes, just a case of working out which ones and then seeing if rebuild kits are available for them if you can't get them from KTM. 👍

You're not just a pretty face are you, here's the YouTube of the exact one being rebuilt but sadly its on an MV so I don't think that I'll like the prices.

1 minute ago, zzzak said:

You're not just a pretty face are you, here's the YouTube of the exact one being rebuilt but sadly its on an MV so I don't think that I'll like the prices.

Obviously Brembo's are top-end brakes, but you never know, those ones may have been used on a more mainstream bike? Have they got a model type or number? If so, a search on eBay may throw up some possibilities.  👍

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tango said:

Obviously Brembo's are top-end brakes, but you never know, those ones may have been used on a more mainstream bike? Have they got a model type or number? If so, a search on eBay may throw up some possibilities.  👍

I've just been searching for the model number of them, do you know how many calipers they make, effing hundreds and they all have tiny differences, nevertheless I have managed to get four of the pistons out from the passive side of the units and will be updating my tale soon.

Cheers.

• Like 2

So here are the photos of the pistons and calipers, the little marks are baffling me as they have never been out before and they weren't dropped when I removed them.

You can see a build up of matter around the pad ends but that scrapes off with a fingernail, maybe a light sand will sort them out, they aren't at a crititcal spot and the seals look OK so I think I'll reassemble them and see if they leak.

I'll be doing the other side ones soon, the air gun I used didn't have a rubber sealing tip so I may try and use a rubber glove with a pinhole in it or something, until I get to see the condition of those pistons I'll bide my time.

20240427_083631.jpg

20240427_083645.jpg

20240427_083807.jpg

20240427_083821.jpg

20240427_083828.jpg

20240427_083844(0).jpg

20240427_083846.jpg

• Like 1

I have come to the conclusion that those marks and the ring of dirt have come from the piston being extended under braking, that being the case they will only affect the dust seal and not the main brake fluid seal so they should be good to use.

The local Brembo site only has bits for KTM fittings back to 2009 so mine aren't there.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, zzzak said:

So here are the photos of the pistons and calipers, the little marks are baffling me as they have never been out before and they weren't dropped when I removed them.

You can see a build up of matter around the pad ends but that scrapes off with a fingernail, maybe a light sand will sort them out, they aren't at a crititcal spot and the seals look OK so I think I'll reassemble them and see if they leak.

I'll be doing the other side ones soon, the air gun I used didn't have a rubber sealing tip so I may try and use a rubber glove with a pinhole in it or something, until I get to see the condition of those pistons I'll bide my time.

20240427_083631.jpg

20240427_083645.jpg

20240427_083807.jpg

20240427_083821.jpg

20240427_083828.jpg

20240427_083844(0).jpg

20240427_083846.jpg

Are those that crap composite pistons, throw them away and get someone to turn you out some stainless. Seeing them on cars going out of shape and sticking up causing over heating.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Catteeclan said:

Are those that crap composite pistons, throw them away and get someone to turn you out some stainless. Seeing them on cars going out of shape and sticking up causing over heating.

They've done 43,000 k so far so they're staying, for the cost of getting S/S turned out here I could probably buy a new bike.

• Like 1

Unfortunately all your problems are from letting the bike stand for so long , I hope you find a way around the problems.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, boboneleg said:

Unfortunately all your problems are from letting the bike stand for so long , I hope you find a way around the problems.

Not sure what you mean by all the problems, the only problem has been the brakes and they're under control, the suspension needed to be done anyway as did the air filter, the new cans were just because and anyway the standard ones were getting to hard to clean, weighed lots and the new ones look better, weigh less and sound great.

The important thing is that the engine has been running recently so the carbs are clear, when I knew that I wasn't going to be using it for some time I let it idle until it stopped from a lack of petrol so that was a good idea I think.

I did eff about trying to zinc plate the engine bolts but then I found the S/S kit so that was that, on my to do list now is tidy up the radiator and refill it, install the new plugs and put the bits back on and then it should fire up and be ready for the road.

So its not that far away, it will soon be entered in topbox of the month.

P1010275(1).jpg.716d3902488a247fab428cdf7117912e.jpg

• Like 2

18 hours ago, zzzak said:

I have come to the conclusion that those marks and the ring of dirt have come from the piston being extended under braking, that being the case they will only affect the dust seal and not the main brake fluid seal so they should be good to use.

The local Brembo site only has bits for KTM fittings back to 2009 so mine aren't there.

They used the same pistons from 2005 to 2020.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buckster said:

They used the same pistons from 2005 to 2020.

Thanks for the input, my pistons measure 34 but the Brembo site only mentions 40's, anyway it doesn't matter because these ones are going back in, cheers.