Favorite Bikes you've owned/rode

YamaHead

No chance I can keep up with Pete's record of previously owned bikes... but I'm pretty sure I still have my "Potcher" status as I've been called before... in other words, I ain't afraid to turn a spanner & I don't have a "Tommy the Tool" to do the work for me...just like a few of you chaps. So I counted up the one's I've owned...came out to about 25 bikes over a 28 yr. period. Still have 2 left that I'm about to finish up & plan to deliver to a coupla worthy recipients...my brother & my youngest boy. So here's a few of my favorites....

My brother is getting the Sumo....tried to sell it for over a year for only $2500....not 1 bite, as it's a kick only thump. Society these days are full of nothing but pussies that can't handle NOT having the start button on the bars! My brother is 6'-4" & a helicopter crew chief who definitely knows his way around a wrench...he's my "Go To" guy when I'm stumped with mechanical woes. Perfect Recipient--

SuMo007.thumb.jpg.a0fb846944e947e5bf998e08c8a84058.jpg

My youngest boy, I couldn't be more proud of as he's a home owner, business owner & about to become a Dad in another month or so.... this was his 9th birthday present that I've gone completely through.... can't wait to see him teach his kids how to ride it!

SnowDay008.thumb.jpg.3bebaeb231975348cf1ed22ad03494f5.jpg

This post wouldn't be complete w/o this "Party on 2-Wheels" that was an absolute blast to ride....

TheBikeIreallymiss.jpg.a81500d5208f89e0344d3698d34f3321.jpg

Then there's the bike that started my Red/White affliction... rode it daily for 13 yrs. through every weather condition possible here in the PNW....including an earthquake whilst doing a good buck & a quarter on the freeway heading to work one morning.... 1 of thee scariest moments of my entire life!

MySeca.JPG.3d79f720a948cbc47dbaf045d6f8ba55.JPG

Now, this one really put the "FUN" back into riding for me....went to new/different places more than any other bike prior....

ASR_Cal1.thumb.JPG.93451d99e819ba03f4da83d71d12835b.JPG

Then age & the need to carry the misses along as she rode as well for awhile.... found this beast just down the road from where I lived. I also did a 2500 mile trip down to AZ & back in only 98 hrs. That was a blast--😎

Sabre_Clackamas.jpg.31277499d8ef15f8af6b8a71e008288f.jpg

Then there's this Taiwanese job that was the last bike I actually rode....actually had Honda motor & an awesome front brake. I high-sided this beast on the way back from the upper Clackamas river about a year before MRSA hit me. Almost died from that off.... & still to this day feel aches & pains from that accident.

Venox250.thumb.jpg.dde27670b93dd0797cf19a0d314c67cc.jpg

So, what bikes have you lot owned that are memorable?....

• Like 6

Moved to Motorcycle Chat where it'll get more views!

I can't add anything yet......this one's going to take a bit of thought! 

• Like 1

This is certainly my most memorable bike I've had. It was the first road bike i owned that i was legal to ride, i bought it part built when i was 17 years old before i had past my test and then finished it off over the next year, When i past my test i met the wife at our club meet on it, she loved bikes and still does and we spent the next four years discovering the motorcycle scene riding it all over the southern part of the UK to various motorcycle events before i moved onto other bikes, it was a hell of a time to be alive and on two wheels young and green as grass i have so many memories from riding that bike and far more forgotten ones from the partying so I've been told LOL
but dirt biking is in my blood i couldn't stay on the tarmac no matter what i rode.
scan0008.jpg.912f0a02e501182f6d3105dcb3a34eb3.jpg

scan0012.jpg.a7c9bba6e75926c7ee38c8ecf2b19458.jpg

IMG_0002a.thumb.jpg.adbbccb3e4be1f2fcb5e394107f2a0d1.jpg

IMG_0003a.thumb.jpg.f131eaacdee499a8fe77bca56ac31479.jpg

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

This is certainly my most memorable bike I've had. It was the first road bike i owned that i was legal to ride, i bought it part built when i was 17 years old before i had past my test and then finished it off over the next year, When i past my test i met the wife at our club meet on it, she loved bikes and still does and we spent the next four years discovering the motorcycle scene riding it all over the southern part of the UK to various motorcycle events before i moved onto other bikes, it was a hell of a time to be alive and on two wheels young and green as grass i have so many memories from riding that bike and far more forgotten ones from the partying so I've been told LOL
but dirt biking is in my blood i couldn't stay on the tarmac no matter what i rode.

What make is that lump in that beast Fred?....looks to be a SOHC 4-cylinder of some type.

• Like 1

My favourite of all time, that I owned in the early 2000’s.  1978 BMW R100RS.   Bessie Big Jugs.   Loved that bike and was an absolute fool to sell it.  

Rimg0004.jpeg.3d54d91b94cdc1507de8768418df7eba.jpeg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, YamaHead said:

What make is that lump in that beast Fred?....looks to be a SOHC 4-cylinder of some type.

Hardly a lump it was a mere 400/4, totally reliable once i sorted a few teething issues, it never failed to get me home even on half a camshaft the one time after the previous owner put one of the oil restrictors to the head in upside down cutting off the oil feed to the right hand side of the head

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Saul said:

My favourite of all time, that I owned in the early 2000’s.  1978 BMW R100RS.   Bessie Big Jugs.   Loved that bike and was an absolute fool to sell it.  

Rimg0004.jpeg.3d54d91b94cdc1507de8768418df7eba.jpeg

My uncle owned one from new put over 100000 miles on it i think he liked it as well

• Like 2

So many to choose from but for sheer, scary, balls-out attitude it has to be my original TL1000S.

It gives me a stiffie just thinking about even after all these years.

TL1000SX_front.jpeg

TL1000SX_side.jpeg

TL100SX_rear.jpeg

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Skippy said:

So many to choose from but for sheer, scary, balls-out attitude it has to be my original TL1000S.

TL1000SX_front.jpeg

TL1000SX_side.jpeg

TL100SX_rear.jpeg

I do like the tl1000, what made it so scary?

2 hours ago, busabeast said:

I do like the tl1000, what made it so scary?

A fairly short wheelbase, loads of power and less than clever rear suspension unit. 

• Like 4

But other bikes have killed people, so what made it so scary?

Probably the riding position :classic_laugh:
I think it had something to do with the rear suspension if i remember correctly 

7 minutes ago, Skippy said:

A fairly short wheelbase, loads of power and less than clever rear suspension unit. 

Guess it was too much of a wheelie machine and many people couldn't tame it?

4 minutes ago, busabeast said:

They certainly needed treating with some respect. To be honest, I didn’t have the talent to push it too far, but even for an average rider like me, it was a great ride.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, busabeast said:

If i remember right it had some weird rear suspension set up that wore out quickly and made the bike unstable, it was also prone to tank slappers although my mate never had any issues with his  

But other bikes have killed people, so what made it so scary?

It used a rotary damper at the rear that had no way of dissipating the energy it absorbed so it stored it up and then let it go in spectacular fashion by pogoing the rear end, usually in a corner. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Buckster said:

It used a rotary damper at the rear that had no way of dissipating the energy it absorbed so it stored it up and then let it go in spectacular fashion by pogoing the rear end, usually in a corner. 

That sounds like a great idea for rear suspension, who would think it would be suitable 

Just now, busabeast said:

That sounds like a great idea for rear suspension, who would think it would be suitable 

Suzuki.

It was all about saving space so they could shorten the wheelbase. It worked okay on the racetrack which was nice and smooth but on real roads the design flaw pretty soon reared its head.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

who is the bird fixing the bike  ?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Skippy said:

TL1000SX_front.jpeg

TL1000SX_side.jpeg

TL100SX_rear.jpeg

Nice looking even with the flaws..

• Like 2