Entry-Level Moto Guzzi Spotted

With multiple Moto Guzzi styling elements, and what is clearly the engine from the new Aprilia RS 457, we suspect this retro roadster will in fact be branded as a Guzzi.
With multiple Moto Guzzi styling elements, and what is clearly the engine from the new Aprilia RS 457, we suspect this retro roadster will in fact be branded as a Guzzi. (Bernhard M. Hohne/BMH-Images/)

When Aprilia took the wraps off its new RS 457 parallel-twin sportbike last year there was instantly speculation that it might lead to spinoffs. A Tuono 457 or Tuareg 457 would be logical extensions of the range, but this prototype, revealed in new spy photos, appears to be something very different and perhaps it won’t be badged as an Aprilia at all.

The engine in the machine is clearly the same 457cc parallel twin that debuted in the RS 457, which is to be manufactured in parent company Piaggio’s Indian factory and puts out 47 hp, but in the new prototype it’s slung below a steel tube frame rather than the RS 457′s aluminum beam chassis. The alloy wheels, front fender and radial brakes appear to be borrowed from the RS 457, but the swingarm is also new and features an unusual single shock mounted far back on the right-hand side rather than the Aprilia’s central monoshock.

We first got a glimpse of Aprilia’s RS 457 late last year.
We first got a glimpse of Aprilia’s RS 457 late last year. (Aprilia/)

On top of that new chassis is some very traditional-looking styling, with a fat-shouldered fuel tank and chrome-rimmed, circular headlight. Not the sort of thing Aprilia is known for, and a far cry from the aggressive shape that might be expected on a future Tuono 457 as and when such a bike is launched. Instead they’re parts that would sit much more happily alongside the bikes of another Piaggio-owned brand, Moto Guzzi.

This prototype appears to share the Moto Guzzi V100 Mandello’s rear taillight and side covers.
This prototype appears to share the Moto Guzzi V100 Mandello’s rear taillight and side covers. (Bernhard M. Hohne/BMH-Images/)

In fact, that round headlight looks to be borrowed from the Guzzi V7 Special, and on closer inspection there are several other Guzzi-style components on the prototype. The taillight, for instance, is either borrowed from the Guzzi V100 Mandello or a very similar design, and just below the rider’s seat is a triangular panel, seemingly disguised with tape, that carries the shape of three gill-like air vents—a signature that’s also found on the Mandello and the new-for-2024 Stelvio. The shape of the fuel tank, too, is similar with other Moto Guzzi models, with overtones of both the Mandello and V7, and the pillion hand rails appear to be identical to the Mandello’s components.

While the idea of a Moto Guzzi without the company’s trademark across-the-frame V-twin engine might have some fans throwing up their hands in horror, the marque’s history includes plenty of bikes with other engine layouts, and there’s no denying the logic in creating a more accessible, smaller machine to wear the Moto Guzzi brand. Developing a new V-twin engine for such a bike would be hugely expensive, both in terms of R&D and manufacturing, but creating a new, Guzzi-specific frame to hold the new Aprilia parallel twin is a much more cost-effective route to creating an entry-level model for the brand.

Whichever badge the final production bike carries, it seems certain a retro-styled, 457cc parallel twin will be in the Piaggio Group’s stable when the time comes to unveil the 2025 model ranges.

Source

38 minutes ago, busabeast said:

A moto guzzi should be a v twin..... they're just wronguns

Over the years Moto Guzzi have used all sorts of engine configurations.  They even had a V8 race bike at one point.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

Over the years Moto Guzzi have used all sorts of engine configurations.  They even had a V8 race bike at one point.

It’s a lovely looking thing in person, that V8!

132FC2BC-7D87-4A97-82DB-C421769D8B7F.thumb.jpeg.c9c4e821385a958e3baf2ac2ec0c85e2.jpeg

34EA7A95-EA6C-49A0-9286-191D7386AB7A.thumb.jpeg.65a7867dce2b14abe325260808f98ee6.jpeg

D69381BC-4F2D-4739-B817-297F235656D0.thumb.jpeg.3e6da1a9e302cbbd3485c0cd77796a1e.jpeg

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Saul said:

Mind you that proposed new parallel twin doesn't look Guzzi to me.  Would be a nope if it were my money.  

It’s an Aprilia according to the speculation. Might as well buy an Aprilia, then.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Pedro said:

It’s an Aprilia according to the speculation. Might as well buy an Aprilia, then.

True if you are in the market for that sort of thing.  😉

2 hours ago, Pedro said:

It’s a lovely looking thing in person, that V8!

132FC2BC-7D87-4A97-82DB-C421769D8B7F.thumb.jpeg.c9c4e821385a958e3baf2ac2ec0c85e2.jpeg

34EA7A95-EA6C-49A0-9286-191D7386AB7A.thumb.jpeg.65a7867dce2b14abe325260808f98ee6.jpeg

D69381BC-4F2D-4739-B817-297F235656D0.thumb.jpeg.3e6da1a9e302cbbd3485c0cd77796a1e.jpeg

I’ve been to the Moto Guzzi museum/factory in Mandello del Lario. It’s a fascinating place , I’ll see if I can dig out some photos.

• Like 3

Definitely needs something to cover the exhaust underneath .. looks awful, im agreeing with Uncle Buck on this , its a nope from me,

1 hour ago, Six30 said:

Definitely needs something to cover the exhaust underneath .. looks awful, im agreeing with Uncle Buck on this , its a nope from me,

That's a pre production bike , I'm pretty certain it will look different once it's for sale.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

I'd say the 80/90's California and Le Mans are pretty cool.

I rode a Le Mans in 1977.......fucking horrible!

3 hours ago, XTreme said:

I rode a Le Mans in 1977.......fucking horrible!

Yes, they have a certain charm but definitely not for everyone 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Catteeclan said:

I have a mate I met off the TDM site who's got one and he loves it. Not for me though.
I quite liked this one
https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/moto-guzzi-v85/

It's what one of my mates rides.   I think it is a lovely looking and sounding bike.  I have never sat on it but it looks tall and heavy, but then again so is he 🤣.  He is also bent out of shape that my little Hornet has more BHP, not that it matters in the real world but it irks him 🤣  Also another of our group has a V7 stone.   Now I could see myself on that, lovely looking retro bike.  

Oh as an aside I rode a Le Mans Mk1 one back in the 80's and I loved it.    Felt very fast as I remember, sounded awesome but I remember the gearbox being a bit of a pig, twas a long time ago.  I loved the little sideways flick or rock it did when you blipped the throttle.   

I always fancied a V50 back in the day.   

IMG_0710.jpeg

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Six30 said:

Photoshop

No, it’s the real deal, unfortunately it was not for the road.

15 minutes ago, Buckster said:

No, it’s the real deal, unfortunately it was not for the road.

missed a trick there, that would of sold as a road bike