Dorset Trip..

Six30

12 hours ago, Six30 said:

Parked up across road from pub .. what is the advantage or point of the engine design on these if any 

IMG_9993.jpeg

IMG_9992.jpeg

The boxer engine design proved to be far more robust than any other, it was the only motorbike that could withstand desert temperatures.

It was also the only bike the military could rely on not to overheat during manoeuvres in bastid hot conditions. Thats why the Russians copied it. 

Personally I notice a huge difference in hot weather between the heat from the 9T and other bikes. It’s much much cooler not to sit directly over the engine. 

• Like 1

Back then a vtwins’ rear engine overheated easily. This also spins the right way to exit transmission via a drive shaft, which they wanted for being more resilient to war. Also they were quite fast.

On today’s boxers you could obviously get more specific power on other configurations, however heat is still an issue on warmer climates when you travel not going very fast on higher output engines, ask anyone with a KTM or a Ducati, the character of the engine suits travelling and ease of use, and people still like the shaft. I personally like how it both pulls from 2500rpms and also sounds like an airplane at 8 or 9000rpms. I am aware it’s a Nazi airplane, though, it’s a guilty pleasure.

• Like 4

Went to T. E Laurence’s cottage , talking to one of the guides there , he said the superior he got killed on  is owned privately by someone , years back it was in imperial war museum , reckons the owner has been offered a million for it.. interesting day,  

IMG_0029.jpeg

IMG_0028.jpeg

IMG_0027.jpeg

• Like 7

On 11/08/2023 at 17:54, Six30 said:

A pub b&b … in a village , my bikes going to piss every one off in the mornings..  it’s proper loud when you first start it

That will be to sound of the valves disintegrating.

18 hours ago, Six30 said:

Went to T. E Laurence’s cottage , talking to one of the guides there , he said the superior he got killed on  is owned privately by someone , years back it was in imperial war museum , reckons the owner has been offered a million for it.. interesting day,  

IMG_0029.jpeg

IMG_0028.jpeg

IMG_0027.jpeg

Thats a dreary looking building, bet it’s pretty dark inside, no wonder he was always out on his bike. 

2 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Thats a dreary looking building, bet it’s pretty dark inside, no wonder he was always out on his bike. 

He was gradually doing bits to it , sat in 5 acres of land 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Six30 said:

He was gradually doing bits to it , sat in 5 acres of land 

Normally back then “I have taken” meant I have borrowed or rented not actually bought for which they would say ‘purchased’ 

Even bastard children of the higher echelons had friends with property’s they could ‘take’ ie borrow for a while so it would be interesting to know what the background is. 

He was born out of wedlock, his parents lived in sin with an agreed shared fake name and he went to private school and Oxford. 

Mould breaking at the time but still immensely privileged. 

49 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Normally back then “I have taken” meant I have borrowed or rented not actually bought for which they would say ‘purchased’ 

Even bastard children of the higher echelons had friends with property’s they could ‘take’ ie borrow for a while so it would be interesting to know what the background is. 

He was born out of wedlock, his parents lived in sin with an agreed shared fake name and he went to private school and Oxford. 

Mould breaking at the time but still immensely privileged. 

Yeh he rented it at first….  then bought it a few months before his death … his childhood  don’t sound to privelafed 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Six30 said:

Yeh he rented it at first….  then bought it a few months before his death … his childhood  don’t sound to privelafed 

Privelafed? You tried to use a big word. What do you say @Marcel?

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Six30 said:

I’ll have to have a read up. My understanding was his dad was aristocracy and left it to be with the surf he loved but that could well be completely wrong 😂