Grasshopper

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, XTreme said:

How often are service intervals and what's the cost Chris?

10,000km service intervals, so about once a year. intermediate service 200€ ish ( 207€ today) and main service with valve clearances etc is around 500 or 550€.  that's at the dealers. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MooN said:

main service with valve clearances etc is around 500 or 550€.

Shit! This valve clearance stuff on these modern bikes is a licence to print money.

• Thanks 1

Just now, XTreme said:

Shit! This valve clearance shit on these modern bikes is a licence to print money.

yup. its also a HUUUUge pain in the arse to get the tank off and airbox out of these bikes, it's the main gripe of owners who want to do their own maintenance.  I did it once to see if I could change the air filiter.  I can but it took me nearly an hour. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, XTreme said:

Shit! This valve clearance stuff on these modern bikes is a licence to print money.

On the GS I haven't spent a dime on that yet, they don't seem to charge more to check the valves. And so far it hasn't needed adjusting either.

6 minutes ago, Pedro said:

On the GS I haven't spent a dime on that yet, they don't seem to charge more to check the valves. And so far it hasn't needed adjusting either.

How much is a service on that?

9 minutes ago, XTreme said:

How much is a service on that?

I once replied to that in great extent, searching my invoices and everything, but now I forgot.

For a basic oil + filter + diff oil + air filter or brake fluid I think it's about 200€. I've paid 150 but forgot what for. Not really sure anymore. I usually do other stuff, like plugs every 20.000, or mixing tire changes with the maintenance, I got lost. So far I think I've gotten good value with most things maintenance related on this bike.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Pedro said:

I once replied to that in great extent, searching my invoices and everything, but now I forgot.

For a basic oil + filter + diff oil + air filter or brake fluid I think it's about 200€. I've paid 150 but forgot what for. Not really sure anymore. I usually do other stuff, like plugs every 20.000, or mixing tire changes with the maintenance, I got lost. So far I think I've gotten good value with most things maintenance related on this bike.

And am I right in thinking that they don't have to split the later model in half to do the clutch now?

7 minutes ago, XTreme said:

And am I right in thinking that they don't have to split the later model in half to do the clutch now?

Yes. However:

The older clutch replacement wasn't that hard to do, a good BMW mechanic did it easily with a few hours. It also didn't mess with seals on the engine, and you'd be able to fit a ceramic clutch that lasted for a HUGE time.

Today's clutch goes for almost 300€, and involves a seal that shouldn't be problematic but then again, it is a seal. Also, since it's a wet clutch it is of more "positive" action but contaminated the oil if you burn it, the older ones didn't.

I like the modern clutch better, from a feeling perspective, but appreciate the older style more from a quality and longevity point of view.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Yes. However:

The older clutch replacement wasn't that hard to do, a good BMW mechanic did it easily with a few hours. It also didn't mess with seals on the engine, and you'd be able to fit a ceramic clutch that lasted for a HUGE time.

Today's clutch goes for almost 300€, and involves a seal that shouldn't be problematic but then again, it is a seal. Also, since it's a wet clutch it is of more "positive" action but contaminated the oil if you burn it, the older ones didn't.

I like the modern clutch better, from a feeling perspective, but appreciate the older style more from a quality and longevity point of view.

I was quoted €1300 here from a BMW dealer for a 1200 clutch replacement.

3 minutes ago, XTreme said:

I have got no idea how much they charge for those here, but I think that is way too much.

23 hours ago, XTreme said:

have you done an oil change on the stealth yet Pete , i have heard that you drain most out of the drain plug in the sump and the rest you have to suck out with a pump on the cap on the dummy fuel tank

3 minutes ago, skyrider said:

have you done an oil change on the stealth yet Pete , i have heard that you drain most out of the drain plug in the sump and the rest you have to suck out with a pump on the cap on the dummy fuel tank

No Lionel.....I've only done about 1400kms......I'll get one done at 3K.

And I'm not going to mess about with all that shit.....I'll take it to the dealers. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, XTreme said:

No Lionel.....I've only done about 1400kms......I'll get one done at 3K.

And I'm not going to mess about with all that shit.....I'll take it to the dealers. 

will you be watching them as i would like to know if it is right that you do have to pump it out of the cap

• 3 weeks later...