Biking Mojo?

Tango

1 hour ago, Pedro said:

The fact it hardly turned a wheel in the last years was an indication. Also it had electric servo brakes, which if you research a little are not a nice thing to have on an older bike, as you found out. 

I don't think any of that was the point, though, my point was that most bikes (not just BMW) are solid and reliable. Obviously you shouldn't buy anything that's too expensive for you, too fast for you, that you fear won't start, etc...

I wince when I see an advert for a 20 year old bike that's "only done 10000 miles"! Instant red flag to me!

2 hours ago, Tango said:

I wince when I see an advert for a 20 year old bike that's "only done 10000 miles"! Instant red flag to me!

There are plenty of garage queens about. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Pedro said:

I've never had a bad bike in the way that I didn't like to go places because of them, so I never considered that. Also never got scared enough on a motorcycle that it put me off.

I do have a little lack in motivation now and again when going out on a specific ride but that's overall motivation like "what is the point of living" "why do all that just to come back again" sort of thing, the bike doesn't factor into it. I do ride a lot less when up north but that's because it's a chore to get out of the house here, and the roads around the house don't motivate me at all to face them and then face annoying petty traffic, when at my place I ride everyday that's not raining.

Overall, going out on the bike and staying two nights out, or even just a couple of hours, really helps my mind coping with life.

@Tango, contemplating your own mortality and fear has a way of changing your approach to life and some activities. If your wife thinks of the risk of motorcycling more than the joys she gets out of it, in fact there is no point to that activity as it's just torture. I would advise you guys pick a small hotel with a nice restaurant about 100/150km away, and plan an easy ride to go there for a night, somewhere via easy smaller roads and just float along at 80/90kmh. The weather is about to change and become great (if you don't suffer from pollen allergies) so a couple of hours riding on a pleasant perfect afternoon there, relaxing time out of home and then getting on the bikes the next day for a little more leisurely motorcycling sometimes helps you spark the feeling of adventure. If by that point she's not excited about it you can just ride back home, or do another 100/200km and sleep somewhere else, that spontaneity is addictive. To me, there's nothing like starting my bike in the morning out in the countryside and point it somewhere else, it really changes my perspective on life and puts sadness and doubts away. Other times it doesn't, but it's  still comforting.

And get her drunk and give her a good rogering in the Hotel.

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Six30 said:

And get her drunk and give her a good rogering in the Hotel.

Or go to an abandoned village with @XTreme and don’t talk about it afterwards in anything other than general terms.

• Haha 5

4 minutes ago, Buckster said:

Or go to an abandoned village with @XTreme and don’t talk about it afterwards in anything other than general terms.

His arse is probably too sore and his memory too vague to give proper details 

• Haha 3

I certainly have days when I just can't be bothered togging up for an hours ride. I miss the  time when a pair of army surplus army boots, jeans and a  leather perfecto "bike" jacket were all that was needed to ride.to quote probably every generation since the dawn of time "Life seemed simpler then"

I also now work only 10 km's from home so it'es not worth moving the car to get the bike out, putting the car back, getting togged up, organising a chenge of shoes and trousers for work etc for 6 minutes of riding.  With the job change came the luxury of not working weekends... which means I no longer have a "me" day midweek when I can ride. I imagine that I will probably ride less this year than ever before, but losing the bike or stopping altogether has never been an option so far.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Tango said:

....I'm also considering getting a bike with better 2-up capabilities, so she could ride pillion if we wanted to travel a little farther afield.  At least until she gets her mojo back. 

Exactly why my wife bought a Goldwing. I'd have never bought one on my own as they don't do much for me. But it makes her happy to ride again. She hated 2 up on the GS and the Tenere.

Even after a couple of severe crashes, I never really lost my riding desire / mojo. Have ridden for 54 years and still enjoy it each time. I must have a pretty sad life away from bikes <ggg>.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, MooN said:

I miss the  time when a pair of army surplus army boots, jeans and a  leather perfecto "bike" jacket were all that was needed to ride.to quote probably every generation since the dawn of time "Life seemed simpler then"

I agree with this Cunt!

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, XTreme said:

GS's are normally very comfortable Eric?

Ugly fuckin' dirtbike with a shitty seat according to her.

And our feet hit a lot. She's 5'10" and I'm 6'1" so there wasn't a lot of leg room on that bike for her.

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, MooN said:

I certainly have days when I just can't be bothered togging up for an hours ride. I miss the  time when a pair of army surplus army boots, jeans and a  leather perfecto "bike" jacket were all that was needed to ride.to quote probably every generation since the dawn of time "Life seemed simpler then"

I also now work only 10 km's from home so it'es not worth moving the car to get the bike out, putting the car back, getting togged up, organising a chenge of shoes and trousers for work etc for 6 minutes of riding.  With the job change came the luxury of not working weekends... which means I no longer have a "me" day midweek when I can ride. I imagine that I will probably ride less this year than ever before, but losing the bike or stopping altogether has never been an option so far.

When I worked from my office it was a 20km ride mostly on a motorway. Even with filtering through one or two stoplights it took me longer on the bike than on the car just from putting the jacket and helmet on and off and all the "event" that riding a bike and taking it off the garage compared to the car.

31 minutes ago, XTreme said:

GS's are normally very comfortable Eric?

Not compared to a freeking Goldwing :classic_laugh:

26 minutes ago, Earache said:

Ugly fuckin' dirtbike with a shitty seat according to her.

And our feet hit a lot. She's 5'10" and I'm 6'1" so there wasn't a lot of leg room on that bike for her.

Pete is almost a dwarf so he wouldn’t know.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Marcel said:

The one positive thing about being snowed in for half of the year is that you never loose the desire to ride....it's like getting a new bike every year...

It’s either the snow or the dementia.

• Haha 1