Biking Mojo?

Tango

Had an interesting conversation with Mandy at the weekend about biking. Her bike has sat in the garage since we moved in and, in fact, has probably done no more than a couple of hundred km's in the 2.5 years since we moved here. 

She says that, since her cancer, she has become more fatalistic about things and completely lost her biking mojo. 

Has anyone else found that something has happened that has shaken their biking mojo?

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

When my wife stopped riding pillion I went out on the scoot/bike less and less, I hardly ride nowdays, i could go into greater detail but it would just sound like me moaning.

If I sat down and really thought about it I would come to the conclusion that the scoot is really not needed.

So in effect I have lost my mojo.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

17 minutes ago, Clive said:

When my wife stopped riding pillion I went out on the scoot/bike less and less, I hardly ride nowdays, i could go into greater detail but it would just sound like me moaning.

If I sat down and really thought about it I would come to the conclusion that the scoot is really not needed.

So in effect I have lost my mojo.

I guess that there could be many and varied reasons for it, @Clive, but sometimes it's hard to really put your finger on one specific reason?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tango said:

I guess that there could be many and varied reasons for it, @Clive, but sometimes it's hard to really put your finger on one specific reason?

I know the other reasons, but as I say it would sound like me moaning 😂 

• Haha 1

I don't know if I lost my biking mojo but I was 9 years without a bike through life events (3 Kids) that left money tight  for awhile.  Sort of age creeping up on me made me go back to biking as I thought if I don't do it now I never will.    

• Like 4

A bad bike can knock you back a bit......where ownership becomes a continual drama of battling against the thing.

The 1200GS being a prime example of that. Fucking POS!

So that's why the allegedly boring Honda suits me......I don't need any more complication in my life.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, XTreme said:

A bad bike can knock you back a bit......where ownership becomes a continual drama of battling against the thing.

The 1200GS being a prime example of that. Fucking POS!

So that's why the allegedly boring Honda suits me......I don't need any more complication in my life.

Yeah, I think that a bad bike really can do it! 

My Triumph Trophy 900 was generally a good bike, but it was a barge and really didn't suit the sort of riding that I was doing (except the trips to the NEC bike show in December, where the full fairing and heated grips really did come into their own). So I gradually rode it less and less! The only reason I bought it in the first place was because it was all I could afford at the time! 😉😂😂

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, XTreme said:

That is how I think about it and probably why I bought a Honda. I wanted an Interceptor or Bonnie type of bike but knew I would be forever messing with it, I just want to ride now.  

• Like 3

I've never had a bad bike in the way that I didn't like to go places because of them, so I never considered that. Also never got scared enough on a motorcycle that it put me off.

I do have a little lack in motivation now and again when going out on a specific ride but that's overall motivation like "what is the point of living" "why do all that just to come back again" sort of thing, the bike doesn't factor into it. I do ride a lot less when up north but that's because it's a chore to get out of the house here, and the roads around the house don't motivate me at all to face them and then face annoying petty traffic, when at my place I ride everyday that's not raining.

Overall, going out on the bike and staying two nights out, or even just a couple of hours, really helps my mind coping with life.

@Tango, contemplating your own mortality and fear has a way of changing your approach to life and some activities. If your wife thinks of the risk of motorcycling more than the joys she gets out of it, in fact there is no point to that activity as it's just torture. I would advise you guys pick a small hotel with a nice restaurant about 100/150km away, and plan an easy ride to go there for a night, somewhere via easy smaller roads and just float along at 80/90kmh. The weather is about to change and become great (if you don't suffer from pollen allergies) so a couple of hours riding on a pleasant perfect afternoon there, relaxing time out of home and then getting on the bikes the next day for a little more leisurely motorcycling sometimes helps you spark the feeling of adventure. If by that point she's not excited about it you can just ride back home, or do another 100/200km and sleep somewhere else, that spontaneity is addictive. To me, there's nothing like starting my bike in the morning out in the countryside and point it somewhere else, it really changes my perspective on life and puts sadness and doubts away. Other times it doesn't, but it's  still comforting.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I've never had a bad bike in the way that I didn't like to go places because of them, so I never considered that. Also never got scared enough on a motorcycle that it put me off.

I do have a little lack in motivation now and again when going out on a specific ride but that's overall motivation like "what is the point of living" "why do all that just to come back again" sort of thing, the bike doesn't factor into it. I do ride a lot less when up north but that's because it's a chore to get out of the house here, and the roads around the house don't motivate me at all to face them and then face annoying petty traffic, when at my place I ride everyday that's not raining.

Overall, going out on the bike and staying two nights out, or even just a couple of hours, really helps my mind coping with life.

@Tango, contemplating your own mortality and fear has a way of changing your approach to life and some activities. If your wife thinks of the risk of motorcycling more than the joys she gets out of it, in fact there is no point to that activity as it's just torture. I would advise you guys pick a small hotel with a nice restaurant about 100/150km away, and plan an easy ride to go there for a night, somewhere via easy smaller roads and just float along at 80/90kmh. The weather is about to change and become great (if you don't suffer from pollen allergies) so a couple of hours riding on a pleasant perfect afternoon there, relaxing time out of home and then getting on the bikes the next day for a little more leisurely motorcycling sometimes helps you spark the feeling of adventure. If by that point she's not excited about it you can just ride back home, or do another 100/200km and sleep somewhere else, that spontaneity is addictive. To me, there's nothing like starting my bike in the morning out in the countryside and point it somewhere else, it really changes my perspective on life and puts sadness and doubts away. Other times it doesn't, but it's  still comforting.

Thanks for your considered reply @Pedro. 👍

I've said that we could just do a few local bimbles to see how she feels. I'm also considering getting a bike with better 2-up capabilities, so she could ride pillion if we wanted to travel a little farther afield.  At least until she gets her mojo back. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Tango said:

I've said that we could just do a few local bimbles to see how she feels.

That's my point, consider doing those rides but instead of riding 30 or 40 or whatever km and coming back home, sleep somewhere else. Go on a trip without the big hours on the bike. That'll bring a sense of adventure into it, the starting your bike in the morning out of home is what you need to feel like you're not just going on a motorcycle for the sake of it. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Pedro said:

That'll bring a sense of adventure into it, the starting your bike in the morning out of home is what you need to feel like you're not just going on a motorcycle for the sake of it. 

Good point Pedro!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pedro said:

That's my point, consider doing those rides but instead of riding 30 or 40 or whatever km and coming back home, sleep somewhere else. Go on a trip without the big hours on the bike. That'll bring a sense of adventure into it, the starting your bike in the morning out of home is what you need to feel like you're not just going on a motorcycle for the sake of it. 

That's certainly something we can consider. 👍

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Tracer 9 could be a good choice Bob!

Not it wouldn't, terrible choice, that's a bike for a couple if they're 25 or 30, skinny and want something sporty. A BMW is what you want to carry a passenger on if you care about your passenger's comfort at all.

Riding a motorcycle for the sake of it is fine, I like it, but if all you're doing is going out and coming back home in an hour or so you're missing out on what I really like to feel. To the extreme is like going out to ride on track, you're properly enjoying motorcycles but 100% motorcycles only. It is a way more romantic way to enjoy a motorcycle if you use to go somewhere, and keep going, that makes you connect with the bike like you're both going somewhere instead of just treating it like a machine. It's the way to rekindle a love for two wheels and live an adventure without actually pushing the limits of your abilities regarding speed and actual motorcycle handling.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Pedro said:

A BMW is what you want to carry a passenger if you care about your passenger's comfort at all.

I'd agree with that......it's just the other things that can come with Beemer ownership are the drawback.

• Like 1

Just now, XTreme said:

I'd agree with that......it's just the other things that can come with Beemer ownership are the drawback.

Don't buy a neglected old shed the next time, which is what your R1200GS was.

99% of motorcycles are just fine and mostly troublefree for most of the use.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Like being a twat?

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Yeah, there was a guy (can't remember his name) in the other place that bought a pretty decent 1200GS, but the active suspension went down the shitter after a very short while and it cost him a fortune to get it sorted. My experience with BMWs, both bike and car, has been tainted, and they're generally out of my price range anyway. 😉

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Don't buy a neglected old shed the next time, which is what your R1200GS was.

It had a fully stamped service book and was in superb conditions.......how could anybody know it was a neglected old shed?

asw-min.jpg.d719db5031d2f79f3358bce7e4c7aa0d.jpg

• Like 2

I'm probably coming at this from a slightly different angle but when I had the accident where I lost my leg one of my first thoughts was how I was going to be able to ride a bike again.   Ridng a bike gave me all the motavation I needed to get walking again asap and get back out on a bike.

I definitely have days now where I can't be bothered to put all my kit on just to go out for a couple of hours and I find cleaning a chore nowadays but I do it as I hate working and servicing on a dirty bike.  I'm also leaning towards smaller, lighter bikes now so that hopefully  I can extend my riding time into my seventies.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, XTreme said:

It had a fully stamped service book and was in superb conditions.......how could anybody know it was a neglected old shed?

asw-min.jpg.d719db5031d2f79f3358bce7e4c7aa0d.jpg

The fact it hardly turned a wheel in the last years was an indication. Also it had electric servo brakes, which if you research a little are not a nice thing to have on an older bike, as you found out. 

I don't think any of that was the point, though, my point was that most bikes (not just BMW) are solid and reliable. Obviously you shouldn't buy anything that's too expensive for you, too fast for you, that you fear won't start, etc...

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Pedro said:

The fact it hardly turned a wheel in the last years was an indication. Also it had electric servo brakes, which if you research a little are not a nice thing to have on an older bike, as you found out. 

I don't think any of that was the point, though, my point was that most bikes (not just BMW) are solid and reliable. Obviously you shouldn't buy anything that's too expensive for you, too fast for you, that you fear won't start, etc...

As it was I got all my money back.......so it could have been worse.

I love GS's but it's always in the back of my mind what a money pit they can turn out to be.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

I'm probably coming at this from a slightly different angle but when I had the accident where I lost my leg one of my first thoughts was how I was going to be able to ride a bike again.   Ridng a bike gave me all the motavation I needed to get walking again asap and get back out on a bike.

I definitely have days now where I can't be bothered to put all my kit on just to go out for a couple of hours and I find cleaning a chore nowadays but I do it as I hate working and servicing on a dirty bike.  I'm also leaning towards smaller, lighter bikes now so that hopefully  I can extend my riding time into my seventies.

Thought you're 70s were long behind you Bob.. 

On another note I was the same when I had my accident in 2003 I don't remember it but apparently my first works when I came round from the operation was when can I get back on a bike.

Now I only get out on the bike occasionally because I'm wanting to spend time with the daughter 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1