New member, after advice.

Immybob

Hiya guys, I’m new here and a fairly recent purchase has prompted coming on. A 2020 1250GS, I use every day for work and am planning many trips. I want to do the Route des Grande Alps to the coast (over a couple of days) and was after suggestions for staying along the way, then after a stay on the coast (again I’d love some ideas & experience) was looking to travel back North fairly quickly but taking in decent roads if I could. 
Thanks in advance for help & hope to see a few of you out on the roads. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Immybob said:

Hiya guys, I’m new here and a fairly recent purchase has prompted coming on. A 2020 1250GS, I use every day for work and am planning many trips. I want to do the Route des Grande Alps to the coast (over a couple of days) and was after suggestions for staying along the way, then after a stay on the coast (again I’d love some ideas & experience) was looking to travel back North fairly quickly but taking in decent roads if I could. 

Hi......good to see you!

As for your query maybe @MooN or @boboneleg can advise as well.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Immybob said:

I’m not the best person to ask about accommodation, as I use campsites and they are everywhere so that is never an issue. There are so many apps now aimed at on the fly rooms b&b budget hotels gites pensions and the like it shouldn’t be a problem. Just decide on a time of arrival and search for the nearest. Or book a day ahead and use the place as your destination. 2 or 3 days to get to Thonion, on Lake Geneva. Though you might find it easier to join the route a little further south. Cluses or thereabouts.

I would suggest a mad dash south from Calais. Avoid going anywhere near Paris. So head for Troyes as an example and stay outside of the city. I don’t tour to visit cities, if I wanted a city break I would fly there. But, anyway get as far south and east as you can over the first day and then once the landscape begins to change, slow down and enjoy.

I would avoid the Med coast if I were you except as a flying visit. It’s mad. And not my idea of fun. See the sea at Menton and then head back inland or use the motorway to get as far west as you can. Don’t use the normal coast road as it’s insane.  Get past Nice and Cannes and it gets a bit better. But not by much. Only do this if you insist on a seaside pause. Otherwise  head north. There are so many ways north and so many really nice ways of doing it. Then once the landscape gets dull again, onto the motorway. And again avoid going anywhere near Paris.

so, to sum up. Dash across north east France as it’s as dull as Essex. Keep clear of larger cities. Have a means to keep your phone charged. A dedicated sat nav is always a good idea. Decide where you are going to join the RDGA and wander there through the mountains. Avoid the riviera coast and coastal road between Menton and Cannes. And just as an aside, avoid going anywhere near Marseilles as it’s like Paris only worserer!!

Michelin maps are your best friend in France. Maybe choose a region or two in addition to the RDGA and spend some time in the Green routes there, it’s impossible to go wrong. Really.

Or, here is a mad idea worth thinking about, Ride the RDGA south to Menton. Ooh and Aah a bit at the sea. Then turn around and Ride the RDGA north again, retrace your steps with maybe the odd deviation along the alternate routes. It will not be the same. It will not be a simple repetition.

• Like 3

Finding a base for a few days Central to ride outs to different routes you want to do always makes more sense in the long run for things like this rather than trying to run to a set of timed stops along a route.

• Like 1

Hi Bob (jolly good another Bob, this won’t get confusing at all 😆).

I was going to say you need to ask @Motobiker he’s the experienced one on these matters and gives excellent tried n tested advice but I see he’s already stepped up to the plate. My advice would be to listen to him, never steered me wrong.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, XTreme said:

So it wasn't him that sent you to the Royal Enfield dealer then? :classic_laugh:

Can’t imagine motobiker ever doing anything so daft 😂

Anyway I didn’t go to a dealer, I was offered a less than one year old bike with just under a thousand miles on the clock for £3000 (who I knocked down to £2900 - I have no shame when it comes to negotiating 😂), you’d have to be daft to turn that down!

Especially if you’re about to do a bit of a gruelling trip on one and have the chance to get to know the bike better before the off. 

So there, can I go now? 🤣

Sulk No GIF by Un si grand soleil

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Buckster said:

Finding a base for a few days Central to ride outs to different routes you want to do always makes more sense in the long run for things like this rather than trying to run to a set of timed stops along a route.

I agree.  That’s always the preferred way of planning a trip. However that’s not really possible if you are set on a specific route that starts over 500 miles from the Ferry or Tunnel.  The trick is getting to the start point quickly and maximising the pleasurable part of this journey - there.

• Like 3

welcome , my advice , dont do the camping thing on a bike... why would any one would want to live like a tramp for a week or so is beyond me .

book a hotel in a good area for your base , and break the trip of getting there up with an overnight stay on route.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Six30 said:

welcome , my advice , dont do the camping thing on a bike... why would any one would want to live like a tramp for a week or so is beyond me .

book a hotel in a good area for your base , and break the trip of getting there up with an overnight stay on route.

Yeh......I couldn't handle Camping!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Yeh......I couldn't handle Camping!

He never mentioned camping in his question. So I’m not sure why you’re talking about it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Six30 said:

book a hotel in a good area for your base , and break the trip of getting there up with a van and overnight stay on route, at overnight stay get bike out of van and take pics claiming to be a really hardcore biker, stare at some school in an unsuspecting French hamlet claiming to be lost.

Pack up the bike in the van again  and sleep then next day do the same

More like your kind of trip, and you can't even deny it 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Motobiker said:

He never mentioned camping in his question. So I’m not sure why you’re talking about it.

you did in your reply you stupid twat

• Like 1
  • Haha 3