Himalayan Condensation.

Saul

My Himalayan has been suffering with condensated clocks.  Do any sort of reading or web browsing and you get the answer; they all do that sir answer.   

I saw a video on Youtube by a chap called Wee Jaunt who fixed the problem.  He was a diver so knew a bit about preventing condensation.   

Anyway today I hopefully sorted my clocks but stripping them down, wiping the inside of the lenses with a weak dish soapy mixture and squeezing a small pack of silica gel in the bottom of the clocks.   Time will tell how effective my efforts have been.  

IMG_8168.jpg

IMG_8170.jpg

IMG_8171.jpg

IMG_8173.jpg

IMG_8175.jpg

IMG_8176.jpg

• Like 5

Just now, XTreme said:

Job well done there Saul......but should you need to be doing that on a new bike? 

I agree it is sub optimal, but is not something limited to Royal Enfield from what I have read.  More related to the use of LED's in the instrument housing rather than any big change in the manufacturing process, so no heat from incandescent bulbs to dry things out.  That's the straw I am grasping at  🙄🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Saul said:

My Himalayan has been suffering with condensated clocks.  Do any sort of reading or web browsing and you get the answer; they all do that sir answer.   

I saw a video on Youtube by a chap called Wee Jaunt who fixed the problem.  He was a diver so knew a bit about preventing condensation.   

Anyway today I hopefully sorted my clocks but stripping them down, wiping the inside of the lenses with a weak dish soapy mixture and squeezing a small pack of silica gel in the bottom of the clocks.   Time will tell how effective my efforts have been.  

IMG_8168.jpg

IMG_8170.jpg

IMG_8171.jpg

IMG_8173.jpg

IMG_8175.jpg

IMG_8176.jpg

So is this the solution 'Wee Jaunt' used? 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

So is this the solution 'Wee Jaunt' used? 

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5c0Hb2uhPrM" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I followed what he did but I didn't put in any extra gasket.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Saul said:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5c0Hb2uhPrM" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I followed what he did but I didn't put in any extra gasket.

I seem to have one of the few that doesn't suffer condensation in the clocks. I was just a bit surprised a diver was using soapy water because there are much more effective dispersal spray films available. I would of let it dry out for a lot longer, run a dehumidifier and reassembled it in that low humidity room. Fingers crossed its done the trick.

Oh and congratulations you've been about long enough for Pete to start bagging your bike. Lucky you 😂

• Haha 3

If a job is worth doing it is worth doing twice 🙄   To be fair the first time I didn't dry the clocks on the radiator overnight as Wee jaunt did.  Also I didn't fit extra gasket material like he did either.  Guess what my first efforts didn't work. 

This time though I am going to do exactly what Wee jaunt did, I have even bought the exact material he did to make the new sealing gasket.  

IMG_8274.jpg

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Saul said:

If a job is worth doing it is worth doing twice 🙄   To be fair the first time I didn't dry the clocks on the radiator overnight as Wee jaunt did.  Also I didn't fit extra gasket material like he did either.  Guess what my first efforts didn't work. 

This time though I am going to do exactly what Wee jaunt did, I have even bought the exact material he did to make the new sealing gasket.  

IMG_8274.jpg

Turn the top upside down just to be sure the moisture's out.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Six30 said:

kill it with fire @Saul and get a honda or something

Nope, I am not that much of a fan of the angry insect, plastic fantastic look.   Now if I could get a modern version of a CB400N Superdream that would be the more the cut of my jib.  

honda_cb400n-78-06.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Saul said:

Nope, I am not that much of a fan of the angry insect, plastic fantastic look.   Now if I could get a modern version of a CB400N Superdream that would be the more the cut of my jib.  

honda_cb400n-78-06.jpg

Ok, there's obviously no hope for you . One of the worst POS Honda ever made :classic_laugh:

• Haha 6

31 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

Ok, there's obviously no hope for you . One of the worst POS Honda ever made :classic_laugh:

Oi that was my second bike LOL. I swapped my DT175 for it hoping i could trade it in for a 125 to get my licence, it was good fun for an unlicensed 17 year old it used to do 80mph in second gear and 90 in top gear :classic_laugh: only bike i could swap it for was a CB100n a another shit ugly bike.

image.png.64cffed2d116d19c9e2e967df1a16f4e.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Oi that was my second bike LOL. I swapped my DT175 for it hoping i could trade it in for a 125 to get my licence, it was good fun for an unlicensed 17 year old it used to do 80mph in second gear and 90 in top gear :classic_laugh: only bike i could swap it for was a CB100n a another shit ugly bike.

image.png.64cffed2d116d19c9e2e967df1a16f4e.png

You can see how stiff that frame is from way over here, just look at that front tube

41 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

I loved mine, eventually sold it for  RD400E.  Back in the late 1970's early 1980's I think pretty much the whole workforce of Devonport Dockyard rode  CB 250/400's or C50's.   It was like a Motor GP at clocking off time.  

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Pedro said:

You can see how stiff that frame is from way over here, just look at that front tube

I put motocross suspension on it and a 125 engine in it and wrote it off T boning a mate when he crossed in front of me. i thought i bent the forks but on closer inspection i bent the headstock the frame down tube was like a swan neck LOL 

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Saul said:

I loved mine, eventually sold it for  RD400E.  Back in the late 1970's early 1980's I think pretty much the whole workforce of Devonport Dockyard rode  CB 250/400's or C50's.   It was like a Motor GP at clocking off time.  

There was a bloke i worked with years ago that commuted on the 250 in all weathers without fail, when i spoke to him about bikes he had no interest or passion for them at all, to him a bike was just cheap transport and that was it. He was a Jehovah's witness though so devoid of all emotion.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, boboneleg said:

I nearly bought one of these new in the mid 1980's    I liked it.  

CB350s.jpeg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

Much more hooligan , I approve :classic_laugh:

You would have, I spent a fortune Stan Stephens tuning it, until I ruined it and swapped it for a very nice clean Suzuki GSX250E.   

The RD400E ended up with a powerband as wide as a nats cock, drank fuel like a Jag, but did go like a stabbed rat when it wasn't oiling up.    Like I say I ruined it.  

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Saul said:

You would have, I spent a fortune Stan Stephens tuning it, until I ruined it and swapped it for a very nice clean Suzuki GSX250E.   

The RD400E ended up with a powerband as wide as a nats cock, drank fuel like a Jag, but did go like a stabbed rat when it wasn't oiling up.    Like I say I ruined it.  

A Stan Stephens 'race tune' was not a good idea for a road bike , my RD250DX was like shit off a shovel with porting and Allspeed expansion chambers but I was lucky to see 20mpg :classic_laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, boboneleg said:

A Stan Stephens 'race tune' was not a good idea for a road bike , my RD250DX was like shit off a shovel with porting and Allspeed expansion chambers but I was lucky to see 20mpg :classic_laugh:

Oh I know that 🤣🤣🤣.    I had Allspeeds then decided I needed Microns, couldn't tell you why now, apart from young and daft. 

The sad thing was that the RD400E was a lovely ride before I started making it faster.  Plenty of torque, lovely sound and looked the nuts untils the LC's came out.   

When I was young and still lived at home I used to swap bikes every couple of months or less.  I remember at one point I had six, but only two legally on the road. 

Not even sure I could list them all now but mostly 400cc and below.  

• Like 4