Welcome Saul

Admin

Hello and thank you for the welcome, automated or no.  I have just returned to biking after and 8 year break, `i'm old and passed my test in 1984.   I have had many bikes over the years from an AP50 'R Reg" to a K100RS with lots of varied stuff in between.  I have just bought a new Himalayan and am loving it.  I am really enjoying the bimble factor.  I have done 500 miles on it so far and intend to do many more before I am too old.    I will have some daft questions I am sure but I am looking forward to taking part on the forum.  

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Saul said:

Hello and thank you for the welcome, automated or no.  I have just returned to biking after and 8 year break, `i'm old and passed my test in 1984.   I have had many bikes over the years from an AP50 'R Reg" to a K100RS with lots of varied stuff in between.  I have just bought a new Himalayan and am loving it.  I am really enjoying the bimble factor.  I have done 500 miles on it so far and intend to do many more before I am too old.    I will have some daft questions I am sure but I am looking forward to taking part on the forum.  

Hi Saul......passed your test in 84? That's a lot later than most of us here so you're unlikely to be old by our standards.

There were 3 Himalayans here......but now there's only one! @Slowlycatchymonkey

She's forever doing something with hers......including dragging it out of gravel traps! :classic_laugh:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Welcome @Saul

I had a Himalayan for a few years.  I had a lot of fun on mine, but it was cursed from the start and had lots of issues. 😆

I worked most of them out, as the bike is easy to work on, but it kept me guessing some days.

Enjoy your new ride! 😎

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Its early days and the only real issues I have had so far have been user error.     You know not checking the kill switch and leaving it in gear with the side stand down.   I have changed out the relays to Bosch ones as a preventative measure as I was getting the odd cut when the fuel pump stopped without explanation.  Not happened since i swopped out the relay.   

I have put on some genuine Royal Enfield hand guards.  Also thinking of some Givi engine bars.  Perhaps even a tank bag.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Saul said:

Its early days and the only real issues I have had so far have been user error.     You know not checking the kill switch and leaving it in gear with the side stand down.   I have changed out the relays to Bosch ones as a preventative measure as I was getting the odd cut when the fuel pump stopped without explanation.  Not happened since i swopped out the relay.   

I have put on some genuine Royal Enfield hand guards.  Also thinking of some Givi engine bars.  Perhaps even a tank bag.

Stick some pics up Saul!

And just be aware there's two stupid twats here with Harleys trolling the place trying to recruit people to their "lifestyle".

gay men GIF

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, XTreme said:

What made you go for the Himalayan?

Just fancied one really, I wanted a simple single.  I remember having a Suzuki SP370 donkeys years ago and wanted something similar but new with a guarantee.  I have been thinking about it for a year or more and did nothing, but watch Itchy Boots videos.  Anyway I took my boy (18) to get a twist and go 125 for work and they had a showroom full of Royal Enfields.  The rest just happened really but as I said I had been contemplating for awhile.   I did look at a BMW 310, which looked too much like an insect to me, and a CB500X, but I have ducks disease and had difficulty getting my leg over it.   Price was a factor also, although I didn't have to buy new just fancied it.  Another thing was i wanted something a bit retro with clocks rather than a screen.     

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Saul said:

I remember having a Suzuki SP370

I'm another former SP370 owner.....I loved mine! 

Brilliant for wheelies off the throttle in first gear! I was young then! :classic_laugh:

• Like 2

I always enjoyed dramatically jumping up to swing the kickstarter like a hero or so I thought then.  Wasn't such a hero when my foot slipped off the kickstarter and it went up the inside of my waterproof legging, that were me dads and huge.  I followed that by slowly tipping over as I couldn't put my foot down.  I was young to 😄.  I was always a bit shy of wheelies after I flipped my ER 185 in the local cafe car park in front of everyone.  😳

• Haha 5

6 minutes ago, Saul said:

after I flipped my ER 185

I had a TS185.......flipped that many times offroad. I was early 20's then.....I doubt I'd bounce so well at 68! :classic_laugh:

Are you retired? Cos quite a few of them here are......I'm still working and always will be!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had a TS185 and TS250, also DT175  as well, I did quite a lot of off roading back in the day also.  My farmers son, mate had a Bultaco 360, I ruined several bikes in his company.    You can see why the Royal Enfield soft roader attracted me. I am 57 and still working, don't know if I will retire until forced, I like working.    Also my youngest is only 14 so still quite expensive to look after.

• Like 3

Hi Saul 

Welcome 👋

I’ve had a Himalyan since 2018. The only problem I’ve had with it is an annoying aftermarket Datatool alarm and the brakes which is known fault they rectified on later models. The older RE Continental GT however has had problems but it seems most of those have been caused by the incompetent tinkering of the previous owner and poor maintenance. 

They’re a great sightseeing bike. Never really have to consider the road surface (within reason obviously) because it goes wherever you’re looking.

57’s not considered old round here 😆

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Hi Saul 

Welcome 👋

I’ve had a Himalyan since 2018. The only problem I’ve had with it is an annoying aftermarket Datatool alarm and the brakes which is known fault they rectified on later models. The older RE Continental GT however has had problems but it seems most of those have been caused by the incompetent tinkering of the previous owner and poor maintenance. 

They’re a great sightseeing bike. Never really have to consider the road surface (within reason obviously) because it goes wherever you’re looking.

57’s not considered old round here 😆

Thank you for the welcome.  Glad to hear I am not the oldest 🙂  I do sing in a male voice choir and I am not the oldest there either.    I did like the look of an Orange Interceptor in the showroom when I got my Himalayan.    Not really what I was looking for but very nice all the same.  I wanted something practical to commute on and have the odd bimble here and there.  My work is 32 miles away so I thought a Himalayan would fit the bill for that.    10 miles back roads and the rest along the A30 dual carriageway.    I am quite happy to sit at 60 mph for the most part as I work nights most rides to work will be in. the dark.    I am quite pleased with the bikes headlight it is much better than I thought it would be.   Sorry I digress, thank you for the welcome.  🙂

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Saul said:

Thank you for the welcome.  Glad to hear I am not the oldest 🙂  I do sing in a male voice choir and I am not the oldest there either.    I did like the look of an Orange Interceptor in the showroom when I got my Himalayan.    Not really what I was looking for but very nice all the same.  I wanted something practical to commute on and have the odd bimble here and there.  My work is 32 miles away so I thought a Himalayan would fit the bill for that.    10 miles back roads and the rest along the A30 dual carriageway.    I am quite happy to sit at 60 mph for the most part as I work nights most rides to work will be in. the dark.    I am quite pleased with the bikes headlight it is much better than I thought it would be.   Sorry I digress, thank you for the welcome.  🙂

The headlight and the side stand are a couple of issues they had which are fixed on later models. My headlight is about 1-2 candles in brightness, a torch would be better 😆

I don’t have any problem getting the Himalayan over 80mph (on closed private roads 😉) I stopped pushing it when I hit 86mph because although the rev counter said it was alright the sound said otherwise but there’s plenty there if you want it.. and aren’t too impatient for it 😆

I think it would be great for commuting. I rode it in the capital of a very hectic country and it pushes through traffic well, probably because it’s trustworthy so you feel confident to push but it would also be good as a commuter because its a relaxing not a wearing bike to ride which when you’re working night shifts you’d appreciate.

• Like 4

Have you done any research into those LED headlights that are available for the Himalayan.  I have seen them advertised but thought them too good to be true, also an expensive replacement if it were to fail.