Morocco 2022, building up to it

Pedro

Just now, Pedro said:

My beard is sort of reddish but my hair was always very dark, except in very sunny days I rather prefer no hair, though. Even if it grew back I would continue to trim it short.

I'm the same, i'd rather have no hair at all so i  don't have to keep cutting it to stop a fucking skullet growing :classic_laugh:

• Haha 3

46 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

My first thought was oooh that’s a heavy bike for sand, brave… or daft 😂

The bike can do it, for sure, but:

It’s better to lower tire pressures, I won’t because the desert is rocky as hell and I want unbroken wheels.

I don’t have the confidence to go as fast as needed on sand, but I will search instruction and get that confidence. 

I had intended on a crossing between Taouz (near Merzouga) and Mhamid (Zagora), if you want to check on google maps. Most of that is easy hardish ground that I have no problems with, but there’s a stretch of a few kms of sand that can be problematic more so if alone. Tomorrow I’ll ask around someone that is not trying to sell me a guide before finally taking the tarmac. I will give the first bit of the cross a try in the morning to have a little fun.

Getting a very heavy bike stuck in the sand somewhere with no service is a good way to get yourself dead, or to ruin a good bike getting out of trouble. I’ll see tomorrow.

I did have a blast sailing through shorter 30 meter bits of soft sand on set pistes though, 4th gear me made feel like a hero (a nervous hero). It’s when you have to slow and turn and do things it gets tricky :classic_laugh:

• Like 5

Also I don’t want a guide. Those guys know their stuff but I’d rather take the tarmac than following a moped that doesn’t get stuck but is also too slow for my bike to cope. Won’t do 100km in second gear :classic_laugh:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pedro said:

I had intended on a crossing between Taouz (near Merzouga) and Mhamid (Zagora), if you want to check on google maps. 

Google maps says the direct route is 5hrs and 20 mins and 390km, with breaks that's a fairly long day, be kind to your kidneys and take plenty of water.

2 hours ago, Pedro said:

I did have a blast sailing through shorter 30 meter bits of soft sand on set pistes though, 4th gear me made feel like a hero (a nervous hero). It’s when you have to slow and turn and do things it gets tricky :classic_laugh:

I'd say thats hero stuff. I'd crap myself seeing sand being on a GS, mind you I've got a lot further to fall than you and less chance of getting the bike back upright 😂

3 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

That reminded me i downloaded some hair app on my phone which of the two do you think @Pedro's hair was like before he lost it all and became cool like me 😎 :classic_biggrin:

!cid_09AC702F-6898-4751-A409-EC16DEA923CA.jpg

!cid_DBC4F050-0F01-4DA6-A9C8-30C80FFE449B.jpg

You kwite the pro... I like the second one also... First one look's like a justin beeber dew.. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Google maps says the direct route is 5hrs and 20 mins and 390km, with breaks that's a fairly long day, be kind to your kidneys and take plenty of water.

It’s all good on road, I meant look at the tracks offroad between them, it’s less than half the distance going through Ramlia for example. That’s what I’ll see about doing.

• Like 3

Will just leave this here because this afternoon it’ll be a pain to upload pictures.

Today I’m busy being being fucking awesome and riding on the same piste I was worried about yesterday. No luggage and a little less fuel make all the difference!4B6BFBEE-85BD-4D91-A51A-BE31EE144E69.thumb.jpeg.f36759554abeb48c6778fa00e11a7470.jpeg

FF82D8EC-3587-4674-BE64-C15DA90674CE.thumb.jpeg.179064ae7588432d1eb66c646f561ad7.jpeg

• Like 7

Just now, Pedro said:

Will just leave this here because this afternoon it’ll be a pain to upload pictures.

Today I’m busy being being fucking awesome and riding on the same piste I was worried about yesterday. No luggage and a little less fuel make all the difference!4B6BFBEE-85BD-4D91-A51A-BE31EE144E69.thumb.jpeg.f36759554abeb48c6778fa00e11a7470.jpeg

FF82D8EC-3587-4674-BE64-C15DA90674CE.thumb.jpeg.179064ae7588432d1eb66c646f561ad7.jpeg

Great stuff Pedro!

• Like 2

I will elaborate further on the report, but I am both happy at the riding I did today, and not doing that tomorrow with my luggage.

So even though today was a win, and it felt amazing riding a few sections of soft sand with no major issues, I will be saving my luggage and taking the tarmac tomorrow.

I am also now friends with Ibrahim, the guy making the road that’s going to replace this piste in the future.

And I also got an expensive urge, that I will not speak off until it happens, hopefully it’ll disappear by itself.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Pedro said:

Best pictures yet, despite the lack of meunkeys!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

Best pictures yet, despite the lack of meunkeys!

I agree, although am a bit disapointed that nobody noticed something that I love in some of the more sandy pictures.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Here’s another one

00513E48-8410-4FD7-9F5A-E61934488C4B.thumb.jpeg.848cc5fc6dbde8417fdc531b1c44d451.jpeg

Not posting more fotos, this just took minutes to upload and I’m not climbing the dune to get more signal. It’s freezing now so will have hot mint tea.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Whats the bets Pedro had a piss against it LOL

No, i did have a piss there but in the middle of nowhere looking at the horizon. But not against the wind!

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Here’s another one

00513E48-8410-4FD7-9F5A-E61934488C4B.thumb.jpeg.848cc5fc6dbde8417fdc531b1c44d451.jpeg

Not posting more fotos, this just took minutes to upload and I’m not climbing the dune to get more signal. It’s freezing now so will have hot mint tea.

It’s pretty obvious in this picture Pete