New lid

Buckster

I finally found a new lid I could live with today for touring. When I was living in the USA I developed a real aversion to full face helmets, I have always worn a mixture of full and open face but I think wearing only open face or half helmets for seven years meant I got used to the feeling of space. Since coming back to the UK I have struggled to find anything that does not make me feel claustrophobic. I have been watching the rise of modular helmets with interest especially when homologated to use both open and closed. I had tried the Shark a couple of years ago but didn't like the fit. Today I was looking at the HJC i100 and for the first time thought I may have found something I could live with, it had good space between the chin piece and my face and is P & J homologated. 

The sales guy said I should try the Scorpion Exo Tech which was actually a little cheaper and as soon as I put it on I knew it was the one. It has been a long time since I put on lid like this and found it was a perfect fit.

Unfortunately they even had my preferred colour so I was forced to buy it. Features I particularly like are that the chin bar ends up on the back of the helmet when open, out of the airflow, the internal sun visor goes down very low and the main visor comes with a Pinlock insert. 

From here on this will be my winter and touring lid.

20220904_172607.thumb.jpg.73b8013aa003ff120448a7b045947fc8.jpg

The thing I dont like is all the writing on the visor makes it difficult to see.

Of fuck me, it comes off!

20220904_172716.thumb.jpg.b828d7ed92f493c472a2543998d4031b.jpg

20220904_172813.thumb.jpg.bdf84924621c51cf3971c199d446d3cb.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Buckster said:

I finally found a new lid I could live with today for touring. When I was living in the USA I developed a real aversion to full face helmets, I have always worn a mixture of full and open face but I think wearing only open face or half helmets for seven years meant I got used to the feeling of space. Since coming back to the UK I have struggled to find anything that does not make me feel claustrophobic. I have been watching the rise of modular helmets with interest especially when homologated to use both open and closed. I had tried the Shark a couple of years ago but didn't like the fit. Today I was looking at the HJC i100 and for the first time thought I may have found something I could live with, it had good space between the chin piece and my face and is P & J homologated. 

The sales guy said I should try the Scorpian Exo Tech which was actually a little cheaper and as soon as I put it on I knew it was the one. It has been a long time since I put on lid like this and found it was a perfect fit.

Unfortunately they even had my preferred colour so I was forced to buy it. Features I particularly like are that the chin bar ends up on the back of the helmet when open, out of the airflow, the internal sun visor goes down very low and the main visor comes with a Pinlock insert. 

From here on this will be my winter and touring lid.

20220904_172607.thumb.jpg.73b8013aa003ff120448a7b045947fc8.jpg

The thing I dont like is all the writing on the visor makes it difficult to see.

Of fuck me, it comes off!

20220904_172716.thumb.jpg.b828d7ed92f493c472a2543998d4031b.jpg

20220904_172813.thumb.jpg.bdf84924621c51cf3971c199d446d3cb.jpg

william dieterle gay GIF

• Like 1

I've got two really nice looking full face lids, an open face and an 'adventure' helmet and never use them because the proof of the pudding is in the eating and I always go for the flip lid, its just better. 

I bought the Neotec II which was much lauded in 2018 and I loved it, then 2021 bought the heavily discounted much maligned Schuberth C4 for using in Spain (maligned due to the crap integrated coms system that I won't ever be using). I rode back wearing the Schuberth and haven't once worn the Neotec since, even though its a good helmet the Shuberth is more comfortable and quieter. I don't know anyone who regrets buying a flip lid. 

Nice catch on the dual homologations, most folk miss that completely. 

I think the Scorpions look the bees knees.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Grasshopper's Ride said:

Nice, but I think you should model it for us!  :wave:

I found my Scorpion helmet to be loud on the highways...but maybe with your big head you won't notice such things......😆

You just want another picture for your fantasy collection. 

• Haha 3

I had a wee bimble to try out the lid today, it was weird wearing full face for the first time in about 14 years. First impressions are that in full face mode it is quiet, the visor is completely fog free with the Pinlock, the sun visor could possibly be a bit darker. It is easy to flip the chin bar over to the back of the shell and I did this every time I was in a town or village and generally just used the sun visor although I did try it with the clear visor in this configuration as well, it felt almost the same as my open face when riding like this which was good. I didn’t bother with any riding glasses. As expected it was affected a little by the wind blast that comes up between the tank and the bottom of the fairing but I am planning on fitting a baffle to cut that down anyway. It also looks good which is important given how damn fine looking I am. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

On 10/09/2022 at 22:12, Buckster said:

I had a wee bimble to try out the lid today, it was weird wearing full face for the first time in about 14 years. First impressions are that in full face mode it is quiet, the visor is completely fog free with the Pinlock, the sun visor could possibly be a bit darker. It is easy to flip the chin bar over to the back of the shell and I did this every time I was in a town or village and generally just used the sun visor although I did try it with the clear visor in this configuration as well, it felt almost the same as my open face when riding like this which was good. I didn’t bother with any riding glasses. As expected it was affected a little by the wind blast that comes up between the tank and the bottom of the fairing but I am planning on fitting a baffle to cut that down anyway. It also looks good which is important given how damn fine looking I am. 

The problem with making the visor too dark is when you move from bright light into a darker area (tunnel, tree canopies etc) your eyes aren't able to accommodate quickly enough so they tend to aim for a light tint to try and cover both bases. 

When its really bright I use sunglasses and the sun visor together, that combo works well cos you can flip up the sun visor in shaded areas but still have the sunglasses for when bits of bright light breaks through. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

The problem with making the visor too dark is when you move from bright light into a darker area (tunnel, tree canopies etc) your eyes aren't able to accommodate quickly enough so they tend to aim for a light tint to try and cover both bases. 

When its really bright I use sunglasses and the sun visor together, that combo works well cos you can flip up the sun visor in shaded areas but still have the sunglasses for when bits of bright light breaks through. 

Jason Statham Reaction GIF by Hobbs & Shaw Smack Talk

• Haha 1

I;ve heard of Bimbos.other then that you lot from the UK are weird. :wave:

Arai has the best lids why bother unless, you have a Shoei head.

Butt that just means your(six).

😃

8 hours ago, Tym said:

I;ve heard of Bimbos.other then that you lot from the UK are weird. :wave:

Arai has the best lids why bother unless, you have a Shoei head.

Butt that just means your(six).

😃

Confused Mark Wahlberg GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment