Urr dunno what I’m doing.... krrrrsch over.

I run  usb's off of a cable with a sae connector/usbportthingie, just plug it into the sae connector for my battery charger that i hard wire to all my batteries.

I have cig lighters with sae conctors, you can run stupd things like coffee makers, air pumps to micro waves hay if the battery is big enough.

Get this, cook lunch in the top bag...lol

61yRrwVh-mL._AC_SL1000_.jpg.64e198f3256ecf6c84b15b8f390a8d88.jpg

• Haha 2

On 13/05/2021 at 19:07, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

When you say show a reading, do you mean shove a multi meter in it?

You could just use an electrical screwdriver to find a 'live'

2 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Umm.. I finked that n lectric screwdriver woz zummink that don’t lectricute u when you do stupid stuff?

Nah , you get one that has a light in it and a crocdile clip on the end of a lead.  You connect the croc clip to a good earth and then probe the connector terminals with the screwdriver , if the light comes on you know you've got a 'live'

61ogmrVpB9L._AC_SY355_.jpg.06d3647e41e0c32d72b5b1b53b0c0e91.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, boboneleg said:

Nah , you get one that has a light in it and a crocdile clip on the end of a lead.  You connect the croc clip to a good earth and then probe the connector terminals with the screwdriver , if the light comes on you know you've got a 'live'

61ogmrVpB9L._AC_SY355_.jpg.06d3647e41e0c32d72b5b1b53b0c0e91.jpg

Holy f*ck how dont I know about this item till now?!?! 
Is it a boy thing that girls don’t need to know about? Or has it  only just been invented? Or have I just fallen into an alternate universe where there’s equipment to do the job you want to do?! 😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Holy f*ck how dont I know about this item till now?!?! 
Is it a boy thing that girls don’t need to know about? Or has it  only just been invented? Or have I just fallen into an alternate universe where there’s equipment to do the job you want to do?! 😂 

Mine is about 25 years old, so you're probably not as 'old skool' as some of us :classic_tongue:

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

Mine is about 25 years old, so you're probably not as 'old skool' as some of us :classic_tongue:

Umm dunno about, that reckon my dear ol’ pops explained it and I didn’t listen n then magicked up my own explanation 😂 

The gear indicator and the usb were wired into the heated grips but that’s been remedied now. The air filter hadn’t been changed so I’m dubious if the oil filters been done because he didn’t have the other parts ordered when I took it in and he only had it for a day.

All in all I’m not impressed with the previous work and now I’m left wondering if I should just cut my loses and pay the new mechanic to do a full service cos it’s still missing some of its edge. The new mechanic said changing the spark plugs might be worth a go cos if they haven’t bothered to change the air filter then the next thing you’d naturally skip would be one of the spark plugs that’s a swine to get to. 

The bit that looks like a spare switch on the wiring diagram is I’m told something to do with testing the abs and best to leave it alone. 

So I’ve never ordered spark plugs before. I’m guessing it’s straight forward but thought I’d ask here before unwittingly wasting money!

11 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

The gear indicator and the usb were wired into the heated grips but that’s been remedied now. The air filter hadn’t been changed so I’m dubious if the oil filters been done because he didn’t have the other parts ordered when I took it in and he only had it for a day.

All in all I’m not impressed with the previous work and now I’m left wondering if I should just cut my loses and pay the new mechanic to do a full service cos it’s still missing some of its edge. The new mechanic said changing the spark plugs might be worth a go cos if they haven’t bothered to change the air filter then the next thing you’d naturally skip would be one of the spark plugs that’s a swine to get to. 

The bit that looks like a spare switch on the wiring diagram is I’m told something to do with testing the abs and best to leave it alone. 

So I’ve never ordered spark plugs before. I’m guessing it’s straight forward but thought I’d ask here before unwittingly wasting money!

You don't know how long they've been in there so get them changed!

15 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Yers agreed but do I just change the spark plugs and hope that fixes it or do I cough up for another full service? 
And where to I order them from?

If you're not aware of the history of the bike then I'd put it in the hands of a trusted mechanic.

• Like 1

Pretty sure before I had it it was well loved and looked after, still have occasional contact with the guy I bought it from, he’s been friendly and helpful but I now don’t know what the garage I took it to did or didn’t do 🤷‍♀️
The new mechanic doesn’t order parts though. He’s been stung too many times by unreliable customers so I’ve got to get the parts. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Pretty sure before I had it it was well loved and looked after, still have occasional contact with the guy I bought it from, he’s been friendly and helpful but I now don’t know what the garage I took it to did or didn’t do 🤷‍♀️
The new mechanic doesn’t order parts though. He’s been stung too many times by unreliable customers so I’ve got to get the parts. 

Get a set off eBay!

37 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Yers agreed but do I just change the spark plugs and hope that fixes it or do I cough up for another full service? 
And where to I order them from?

Just go to a bike shop and tell them you want spark plugs for whatever bike you got they will do the rest. If they offer you a choice just tell them whatever comes in there as standard. Or if you look in the maintenance section of a Haynes manual  it will tell you what you want and you can order on line . This is what it says for one of my bikes you will want the standard one 

image.png.4aeb609be321b3a7cad432c14d775b98.png

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Just go to a bike shop and tell them you want spark plugs for whatever bike you got they will do the rest. If they offer you a choice just tell them whatever comes in there as standard. Or if you look in the maintenance section of a Haynes manual  it will tell you what you want and you can order on line . This is what it says for one of my bikes you will want the standard one 

image.png.4aeb609be321b3a7cad432c14d775b98.png

That’s very nice of you. Thanks. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Eh 🤷‍♀️ 

Think I’m just gonna have take a ride over to the dealers. 

853D29BE-3898-477A-9907-F16199AC633D.thumb.jpeg.5a8700debf066930788f7c7d32f3e147.jpeg

That's easy NGK and Denso are manufactures of spark plugs, NGK being the most common, CR7E is the plug number for the standard plug and is what you want, so search for NGK CR7E this is not specific to your bike this will be the plug number for probably hundreds of different bikes

• Thanks 1

NGK CR7E is quite a common plug, loads of them for sale on eBay.  I'd be more concerned about a mechanic who tells you to supply your own parts 😳

It does look like a fit of a fiddly job to change them but definitely doable.   Here's a video I found on youtube...........

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I'd just like to point out that in Bobs video at 7m 40 odd where the guy says he undone the bracket with the water pump on it is actually the thermostat housing 

Yeh.....I thought the same! :classic_unsure:

• Haha 4

It’s freaking me out how nice and helpful you all are. I’m not used to it, I’m more accustomed to screw ups being unpleasant 😂🤣😂🤣

Thanks very much for the info and vid. 
Id rather he got the parts too but I can see why he doesn’t. He’s a mobile mechanic with limited space on his van and would have to spend his own time n money sourcing parts. At least this way I know the parts are good. Still pissed of with the other garage though. Particularly when he took the tank off and the breather tube thingys weren’t attached. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

It’s freaking me out how nice and helpful you all are. I’m not used to it, I’m more accustomed to screw ups being unpleasant

That's the way it should be Caroline!

On some forums you can't say the word "bastard"......yet being rude and aggressive to others (including women) without using profanities is somehow considered acceptable.

Well it's not acceptable......and it won't ever happen here. The guys would call it out straight away!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1