Urr dunno what I’m doing.... krrrrsch over.

Bike service n MOT went well and the gear change indicator is fitted (haven’t looked at it once cos don’t remember I’ve got one😂) and also asked for asked for a dual usb so I can charge my camera, helmet, battery pack whatever in the tank bag while still using the sat nav. He said Okies but he would have to find somewhere to drill. I said I’d rather it was one on a bracket on the bars than seated in the bikes fairing. Well I can’t say I didn’t get a bracket on the bars 😬 unfortunately not a dual port and cobbled together Heath Robinson style so I want to switch it over to what I originally wanted- see pic below. Thing is I dunno what I’m doing, I’m guessing it contains everything I need and I’ll just need to thread it through the bike and attach it to the battery? Before I part with the readies is this the right thing? Help appreciated. 

https://ultimateaddons.com/products/dual-usb-hardwire-charger-with-handlebar-mount?variant=18950879739971

275F30ED-48A3-445C-8386-627A8D97209E.thumb.jpeg.490176f5de2557d9558da5bee92f414c.jpeg

You don't want to wire straight to the battery or the small amount of draw from the charger mount  will deaden your battery when it's not in use.  What bike is it going on , if the it's the Beemer and it's got canbus wiring I'm out   🤔

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

You don't want to wire straight to the battery or the small amount of draw from the charger mount  will deaden your battery when it's not in use.  What bike is it going on , if the it's the Beemer and it's got canbus wiring I'm out   🤔

No canbus (which also seems to make bmw mechanics wince 😂) it’s the Bandit. 
Hmm so what’s these things already attached to my battery? I’m guessing has to be 2 of the following- my optimate lead, the gear indicator (which was plug n play), and or the USB port. Before it went in it was only the optimate lead on there 😬

BD52528C-1A61-47DC-AACC-C4CE75B7F821.thumb.jpeg.c8cdc2fa95120dac6edf32e56d11c09d.jpeg

Heres a pic of the jumbo sized ‘custom made’ bracket the single USB port currently sitting in :rofl:

Not keen on the spliced electrical wire being stuck together with wound on electrical tape. Wouldn’t mind it wasn’t in such an exposed place but electrical tape never lasts and isn’t exactly waterproof.

7C3D5A2B-A5E2-4185-8F90-9F2D27176066.thumb.jpeg.bc3dd049ca3ee2abaa38c32a09b67fe8.jpeg

As Bob says those USB outputs are always drawing power so you need a switched 12v. They don't draw much current so you could pick up 12v+ off the front brake light switch, follow the wires back to where they plug into the loom see if you can double up there

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

As Bob says those USB outputs are always drawing power so you need a switched 12v. They don't draw much current so you could pick up 12v+ off the front brake light switch, follow the wires back to where they plug into the loom see if you can double up there

My competence with anything electrical extends as far as changing household light fittings, sockets n switches etc not happy going any further with motorcycle electrics than the battery 😂

Sounds like I’m gonna have to find another mechanic doesn’t it, bollox. He’s the best one round here too the other two do not have a good rep 🙁

• Like 1

Fitting it on a fairing would make for a lot cleaner installation, no wires out and flapping, and just a neat little round plug. Also, you wouldn't be pulling the wires of the chargers with every right turn of the handlebars, which makes for a longer wire than you need for the straights flapping about at higher speeds.

My bike has a usb port next to the instruments and I use it to charge my mobile which is on the handlebars, I don't like it as you have the plug in a fixed location and the device moving about with the steering. For niceness, either have the plug and device both fixed with the bike, or both moving together, or maybe I'm just over complicating it.

I know that on my previous bike I had a tank bag and a fixed plug, and it all worked better.

• Like 1

On 12/05/2021 at 10:31, Pedro said:

Fitting it on a fairing would make for a lot cleaner installation, no wires out and flapping, and just a neat little round plug. Also, you wouldn't be pulling the wires of the chargers with every right turn of the handlebars, which makes for a longer wire than you need for the straights flapping about at higher speeds.

My bike has a usb port next to the instruments and I use it to charge my mobile which is on the handlebars, I don't like it as you have the plug in a fixed location and the device moving about with the steering. For niceness, either have the plug and device both fixed with the bike, or both moving together, or maybe I'm just over complicating it.

I know that on my previous bike I had a tank bag and a fixed plug, and it all worked better.

Can you tell me anymore about this fixed plug on the tank bag?

23 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Can you tell me anymore about this fixed plug on the tank bag?

I donut think I made myself understood.

I mean, if you put a plug on the handlebars it's moving with the steering. If you put one through a panel or fixed to the fairing or body of the bike, it's fixed. 

Since you plan on charging stuff located on the tank bag, which is also on a fixed position, I was advising to use a fixed positioned plug on the bike.

59 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I donut think I made myself understood.

I mean, if you put a plug on the handlebars it's moving with the steering. If you put one through a panel or fixed to the fairing or body of the bike, it's fixed. 

Since you plan on charging stuff located on the tank bag, which is also on a fixed position, I was advising to use a fixed positioned plug on the bike.

Ah right I see. I thought it was one of those super expensive electrical tank bags I’d seen and dismissed and you were going say what was good about it. 

https://sw-motech.co.uk/collections/evo-electrical-tank-bags

1 minute ago, boboneleg said:

A lot of Suzuki's have a spare switched connector somewhere , have you got a workshop manual for the bike with a wiring diagram on it ?

No I don’t 🙁 Would it be available online anywhere? 

If you look at this diagram (I think it's for a 600 Bandit), you will see someone has drawn two seperate red lines pointing at connectors, I believe these to be spare switched/live connectors. The one by the headlight is brown/black-white, brown is usually live on Suzuki's .  I have used connectors like that on my DR650 and DR350 as a feed for accessories.

InxYnG5.jpg.0dff53e50621d305c7ca113c67428653.jpg

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

If you look at this diagram (I think it's for a 600 Bandit), you will see someone has drawn two seperate red lines pointing at connectors, I believe these to be spare switched/live connectors. The one by the headlight is brown/black-white, brown is usually live on Suzuki's .  I have used connectors like that on my DR650 and DR350 as a feed for accessories.

InxYnG5.jpg.0dff53e50621d305c7ca113c67428653.jpg

Thankyou 🙏 
I can’t say I’ve ever looked at a complicated wiring diagram before so what are these bits? They’re not marked in quite the same way and I’m wondering if the one just under the horn is the thing I’m after?

11ACA2F7-5AAA-467E-9E68-C6611C0B3143.thumb.jpeg.654123823d05b56410c1a5f327925f2e.jpeg

First of all, I like the 'Urr?  '  Lol

The top one has too many wires , the bottom one with two wires looks more favourable. If you can find that connector and it turns out to be a switched-live (only shows a reading when the ignition is on ) then that could be a good one to use.

• Like 2

Just now, boboneleg said:

The top one has too many wires , the bottom one with two wires looks more favourable. If you can find that connector and it turns out to be a switched-live (only shows a reading when the ignition is on ) then that could be a good one to use.

Yer that was my thought that there’s too many wires on the first Urr
Would it be simpler to just wire it to the ignition switch?

3 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

When you say show a reading, do you mean shove a multi meter in it?

3 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

When you say show a reading, do you mean shove a multi meter in it?

That's why i said to follow the front brake light switch wires back to a connector and double up on which colour wire is live all the time, it's less complicated and your connecting to a fuse that is not critical to the running of the bike if the USB goes tits up and pops a fuse. Looking at the fuses on the diagram you put up there's only one i would use and that's fuse 5. (Signal) it shows a B/G wire whatever colour that is  
image.png.1d1dddca9c4f85ceb6631efcc6e0035a.png

And just to confuse things the wire colour B/G also identifies as O/G on the wiring diagram that will be Suzuki for you :classic_laugh:

image.png.3254c0c32bd58f544bbbf1ecacc389e5.png

1 hour ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

That's why i said to follow the front brake light switch wires back to a connector and double up on which colour wire is live all the time, it's less complicated and your connecting to a fuse that is not critical to the running of the bike if the USB goes tits up and pops a fuse. Looking at the fuses on the diagram you put up there's only one i would use and that's fuse 5. (Signal) it shows a B/G wire whatever colour that is  
image.png.1d1dddca9c4f85ceb6631efcc6e0035a.png

And just to confuse things the wire colour B/G also identifies as O/G on the wiring diagram that will be Suzuki for you :classic_laugh:

Blimey Sir Fallsalot thats great Thankyou very much. This has been a learning curve! I’m feeling a lot less fearful of bike electrics now looking at the wiring diagrams (which is something I’d definitely normally avoid), it’s demystified things a lot 😊

• Like 1