Who owns over 800 Forums?

XTreme

14 minutes ago, Tango said:

Voluntary donations are also OK I think.

It's not something that I've ever done......because my thinking is this: Nobody gets inundated with people asking them to make a forum. The owner chooses to do it for whatever reason.

So if they've chosen to do it.....should everybody else have to dip in and finance it? It's like you organise a rideout with a bunch of people then expect them to pay for your petrol.

As I've said before, I have virtually unlimited resources available to throw into this place. And nobody else is in that position. But even if those resources didn't exist then I'd still carry it myself!

Also.....if people have financially contributed to a forum then they have a right to expect something from that.

But with no contributions, nobody has a right to expect anything! And I do my best to ensure that I meet that expectation! :classic_laugh:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Buckster said:

I'll take the money, assuage your guilt folks and send me the filthy lucre.

Marlon Brando Movie GIF

Just image paying a subscription or making a donation......and the first thing that happens is you call them a Nazi War Criminal or a White Supremacist?

I'd be issuing refunds all day!

• Haha 1

Just now, XTreme said:

Just image paying a subscription or making a donation......and the first thing that happens is you call them a Nazi War Criminal or a White Supremacist?

I'd be issuing refunds all day!

They would pay extra to be insulted by me.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Tango said:

Yes, buying up forums and killing them off doesn't strike me as a robust business model! 😂😂

you've missed the point. a robust business model is not their aim. the only acceptable business model today is " more money, faster" so, once a forum has ( for example) 1000 active members, buy it for 20,000€ ( for aruments sake) impose an annual subscription of, say  25€, if you lose a third of members cos they're too tight fisted to pay for full access to the forum then you rake in 18750€, the first year ( so you lose 6250€ ) but gain what? 10,000€ in advertising? ( i have no idea what that is worth, but if they didn't make a substantial net gain, they wouldn't do it) the second year, the advertising is the same and subscriptions drop bay another third as the site deteriorates, that's still 14,000€, subs + advertising. there are obviously various other accounting manipulations that allow you to pay less tax or lower charges due to the aquisition of a new business or assets being less than a certain number of years old, or employing less than x number of people or whatever, all of which is pure benefit to the parent company. multiply all this by number of sites aquired and by y number of years it's been happening and you have your big fat dividends for the people who had sufficient money to invest in the first place. 

they lie to the people they buy the sites from and cheat the people they take subs from ( as they have no interest in maintaining the site after the first 3 years as  the investment / profit curve no longer meets their required figures.) but hey, that's acceptable and even normal, they increased profits. 

oh FFS, now you've got me going too... :rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, XTreme said:

It happens with every forum they buy......I can't figure out how it can be profitable.

Yet they keep on buying them up.

Not absolutely sure if they still ask for subscriptions, I seem to have that membership level without paying anything, maybe a left over from being a moderator??

• Like 2

Colours in Motion wheelchairs was bought out after i got my Spazz, the new parent company has just milked the company like a cash cow, and hasnt ever updated the Colours website after 10 years, stupid if it wasnt sad.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

Not absolutely sure if they still ask for subscriptions, I seem to have that membership level without paying anything, maybe a left over from being a moderator??

So what extra stuff do you get for being a subscriber Yen?

23 hours ago, Earache said:

My buddy started and owned a Duc forum and Vertical Scope bought it from him and killed it off in about a year. Was thriving forum and went straight to the shitter really fast. Both @DesmoDog and I were Moderators (probably had something to do with it';s demise) and it was a decent forum for awhile.

He got around $20K from Vertical Scope for it - not sure if that's a lot or not.

Please! Our involvement was the main reason the forum took off so fast! In fact I'm dismayed we did not receive some of the money from the sale! 

Ok maybe not. But that's not the only forum I've been on that has died shortly after being sold. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, XTreme said:

So what extra stuff do you get for being a subscriber Yen?

No idea, I've only ever subscribed to a single forum over the years and that was a Vauxhall Vectra one as it meant I could see a lot of the How To stuff and very hand it was as well.  On XRV.org it used to be you couldn't sell stuff on there unless you were a subscriber (or even post on that forum) and there was a section with discount codes I think.

At some point during my membership of UKGSer forum they switched to a subscription model and now I can't see a lot of the threads including the For Sale section. This is a bit weird because that means paying members only get other paying members making offers on stuff?? But as I only really read it to see the BMW mechanical failures constantly coming up, there is enough content to keep my black heart happy. It's similar to my love of problems pages, love the problems, have no interest in the answers.

• Haha 4

I seem to remember that on XRV.org the first wave of subscriptions was to access certain parts of the forum, but I could stil post and read the general stuff, the 2nd wave meant only subscribers could post. I stopped going. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

Yep, XRV.org turned to shit when Dave sold it to Vertical Tossers, so did the KTM UK forum when they did the same thing.

which is a good xr 250/400 forum these days ?