Easter Weekend!

XTreme

13 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Not blowing my own trumpet (except apparently I am ?) but I have a pretty good reputation on the food front. I rarely eat out because a couple of mouthfuls in I wonder why the hell I’m paying for the rubbish being served but after a long weekend of cooking Im happy for a takeaway curry- something I think the 1st 2nd and 3rd wave generation immigrants do better than uk based plebs (if you go to the right places) and certainly not second rate fodder.

This weekend Ive made hot cross buns three times, a course Brussels pate, smoked salmon (more a cured gin/salt n sugar denaturation than a normal ‘cure’), rare roast beef,  cheese board with quince jam and grapes, scotch eggs (made with good eggs and decent sausage meat), marmalade cake, coconut macaroons, and millionaire shortbread just for extras. 

Main course was slow cooked lamb (big joint, 12 hours cooking with plenty of herbs), roast potatoes, honey roast parsnips, brussel sprouts and chorizo butter, potato and spinach gratin, shallots and garlic roasted in lemon cream, wee sausages roasted in marmalade n cranberry and obviously some fine gravy.

oh forgot I also made eggs benedict and pancakes n crispy bacon for breakfasts.

Tomoz itll be lobster Thermidor. 

But this evening the curry and a day off has been excellent ?

awesome

20 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Not blowing my own trumpet (except apparently I am ?) but I have a pretty good reputation on the food front. I rarely eat out because a couple of mouthfuls in I wonder why the hell I’m paying for the rubbish being served but after a long weekend of cooking Im happy for a takeaway curry- something I think the 1st 2nd and 3rd wave generation immigrants do better than uk based plebs (if you go to the right places) and certainly not second rate fodder.

This weekend Ive made hot cross buns three times, a course Brussels pate, smoked salmon (more a cured gin/salt n sugar denaturation than a normal ‘cure’), rare roast beef,  cheese board with quince jam and grapes, scotch eggs (made with good eggs and decent sausage meat), marmalade cake, coconut macaroons, and millionaire shortbread just for extras. 

Main course was slow cooked lamb (big joint, 12 hours cooking with plenty of herbs), roast potatoes, honey roast parsnips, brussel sprouts and chorizo butter, potato and spinach gratin, shallots and garlic roasted in lemon cream, wee sausages roasted in marmalade n cranberry and obviously some fine gravy.

oh forgot I also made eggs benedict and pancakes n crispy bacon for breakfasts.

Tomoz itll be lobster Thermidor. 

But this evening the curry and a day off has been excellent ?

I'm a stone heavier after reading that :classic_laugh:

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

@skyrider did you ever chew your way to the end of that book that started off reasonably well and then he just became a bit annoying? I think it was called Uneasy Rider?

yes i finally finished it and it did end up a bit of a bore really, but it isn't the worst book i have read that honour goes to a manx book called murder on the mountain towards the end it was if the author was getting fed up of it too and it seemed like he wrapped it up without a proper ending ? 

4 minutes ago, skyrider said:

yes i finally finished it and it did end up a bit of a bore really, but it isn't the worst book i have read that honour goes to a manx book called murder on the mountain towards the end it was if the author was getting fed up of it too and it seemed like he wrapped it up without a proper ending ? 

Yes theres a distinct whiff of I got fed up writing but the publishing deadline was looming so that’ll do!

2 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Yes theres a distinct whiff of I got fed up writing but the publishing deadline was looming so that’ll do!

i would have thought that happens a lot with authors 

4 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

What have you moved onto reading now?

i have a book ordered called old man on a bike by simon gandolfi its due any day now

Just now, skyrider said:

i have a book ordered called old man on a bike by simon gandolfi its due any day now

Ah Ive got that one and not yet read it. Still chewing my way through Hunter S Thompson’s Hell Angels.

Look forward to hearing what you think.

2 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Ah Ive got that one and not yet read it. Still chewing my way through Hunter S Thompson’s Hell Angels.

Look forward to hearing what you think.

ok will let you know ?

Just now, skyrider said:

have you read his book Pete

No.....I don't read books Lionel.

Only the ones I had to read to do my O Levels in 1970.

1 minute ago, skyrider said:

i left school with what i started with  O

so did he ... what O  level can you get by nearly completing the Peter and Jane series of books.

Just now, skyrider said:

i left school with what i started with  O

I did my O Levels, then dropped out after doing 8 months of A Levels!

Cos studying Geography, English, and Economics wasn't going to get me a bike for Summer 71.

So I started work May 7th 1971......and by the end of June I was able to buy an old Lambretta TV175 for 22 quid!

1 minute ago, Six30 said:

so did he ... what O  level can you get by nearly completing the Peter and Jane series of books.

it was dick and dora when i started

2 minutes ago, XTreme said:

I did my O Levels, then dropped out after doing 8 months of A Levels!

Cos studying Geography, English, and Economics wasn't going to get me a bike for Summer 71.

So I started work May 7th 1971......and by the end of June I was able to buy an old Lambretta TV175 for 22 quid!

result

• Like 1

When i went to high school the last two years i left at 11 to go to work at the air base every day, no one seemed to care i never took english 101. 

They still graduated me doG knows why have you seen my spelling?

They dint care why should you.

?

• Haha 2