Carb advice 101 type chit!

Tym

First off im to cool to have to work on something...ummm now to my own peril, my KLR carb is fucked....i know, Gnome says whats your problem arg,...so, in front of everyone, i have to admit, i shouldnt work on chit!....Why cant i have a wife like Pete! So, my 2003 KLR made in 2002 in some fucking country other then japan. Needs carb service..wtf? 2003? Thats like yesterday dude!

I think they were made in Thailand weren't they?

The Strom was built in the Suzuki factory in Toyokawa!

Which is in JAPAN as I understand it! :classic_laugh:

Oh look.......there's the factory......no doubt full of inscrutable Japs! 

Suzuki_Motor_Corporation_Toyokawa_Plant_(2013_03.19).jpg.c1a165a71a841c6721f0e884a98f2c72.jpg

I'd say that's an excuse for Suzuki ownership in my book! :classic_cool:

What's wrong with it Tym, is it worn or just gummed up with all the shit they put in the fuel now.  If it just needs a refurb then see if you can find someone who's got an Ultrasonic cleaner.  We have one in work and they're ace, strip the carb, bung it in the cleaner overnight. Flush it clean in the morning and then reassemble with new jets and you won't believe the difference ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

the Honda dealer where I once bought my Transalp told me they got a few bikes with problems coming from Honda's assembling plant in Italy, most notably was a small utilitarian bike, CBF125?, they got one with absolutely no stickers, and another with no piston and conrod, took them a while to understand why it would not start but would crank like fuck ?

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Pedro said:

the Honda dealer where I once bought my Transalp told me they got a few bikes with problems coming from Honda's assembling plant in Italy, most notably was a small utilitarian bike, CBF125?, they got one with absolutely no stickers, and another with no piston and conrod, took them a while to understand why it would not start but would crank like fuck ?

Our Transalps from that era were made in Spain. Which explains why they were so fucking lazy! :classic_laugh:

16 hours ago, boboneleg said:

What's wrong with it Tym, is it worn or just gummed up with all the shit they put in the fuel now. 

I think its both! Slowly getting the carb off, had to plant me onions first!

Think you said it started and stopped? Still think its worth draining the float bowl as the water content in ethanol fuels always ends up and the bottom of the tank and bowl.
Having said that if that carb hasn't had a service in a long while best have it off and a good muck out. 

• Thanks 1

Found the first problem the main jet is almost all clogged up, the inside looks brilliant however....not a spec in the float bowl, no signs of varnish, just waiting on parts and i need cleaner...nice seeing an obvious problem however!

DSCN0378.thumb.jpeg.512eb6900de7fe68031d5a152075cf8f.jpeg

• Like 2

You need to put a inline fuel filter  on the fuel line just before the carb. Also take off the tank and dump it out into a clean bucket. You need to look inside to see if your tank is full of crap or if it is starting to rust.

3 hours ago, Mess said:

You need to put a inline fuel filter  on the fuel line just before the carb. Also take off the tank and dump it out into a clean bucket. You need to look inside to see if your tank is full of crap or if it is starting to rust.

Yup, already run an inline aftermarket Rose auto filter, put in a new one, drained the gas tank, considering, i m not strong enough to take it off the bike if its full anyways...lol

So..why do i need an airbox? Lots of plastic, my GTR's airbox, its in a box, over the garage. the GTR has pod filters on each carb, why cant i run a pod filter on My KLR? Now, if im fucking with jets, why shouldnt i cure this bikes fucked up "from the factory" carb settings? This is what a black hole looks like.

Well, the obvious advantage for some vehicles, is that an airbox increases you fording ability, some KLRs probably put that to use.

However, I think the clearest advantage of an airbox is that it makes it easier to have a better throttle response on lower rpms.

• Like 1