Lockdown Fever!

XTreme

You reckon that could be behind the mood of people generally? Because there have been or two situations here recently which I certainly wasn't expecting.

Because it's been a year now for all of us whereby we've been restricted from doing what we normally do......in one way or another.

The only bit that pissed me off was the first 9 weeks last year when I couldn't ride the bike. Apart from that period it's just been a minor inconvenience really.

Having said that I spend 22 hours a day in the same room anyway......so my expectations aren't that high.

What about you......are you losing your shit over Lockdown?

At the risk of incurring the wrath of others, i would say that i havent really changed much about what i do on a daily basis.  Have worked in the office the entire time, albeit behind locked doors to keep the public out.  At first finding food was a headache (oh, poor me), but there was ways around it.  I never stopped riding, whether it be to work, or just out and about.  Riding has always been a more singular event for me, only joining a local club in the last few years.   Most of those members still continued to get together on weekends and go ride some place.  For us, the destination wasnt that big a deal, it was the route.

I've taken a couple of longer trips over the past twelve months, with a week in Baja being the most recent.  We've followed the local rules with regards to Covid, but we've found that state by state those have been all over the board.  The US's response to this outbreak has been right down the two party line.  So, no, fortunately, i havent lost my shit, but there have been a few times where panic almost took over.  I guess being 64 and more interested in a good life, over a long life, has helped.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, alfalfa said:

I guess being 64 and more interested in a good life, over a long life, has helped.

Well said Rick!

Have you noticed how many guys around our age (I'm 66) are such miserable, boring fuckers?

It's like the life force has been drained from them somehow......all they ever do is fucking moan. About everything!

I look around and wonder WTF has happened to my generation?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, XTreme said:

Well said Rick!

Have you noticed how many guys around our age (I'm 66) are such miserable, boring fuckers?

It's like the life force has been drained from them somehow......all they ever do is fucking moan. About everything!

I look around and wonder WTF has happened to my generation?

Whining is the new mantra, and not just for the old. I've been fortunate to hang with older people that still have a zest for life.  I attribute it to the motorcycle. During helmet time, i reflect on my addiction to it, and to what i do with it, and i think it is that overall "pioneer" trait that keeps you young.  I crack up when someone asks me how old i am and their reaction when i say "64".  Riding keeps you mentally alert, which keeps you younger (at least in your head).   Humans need to have something that drives them forward.  When that is taken away, they sit around and whine.

I grew up in Alaska, state motto "The Last Frontier".  I watched Star Trek, which searched for new frontiers.  I've always wanted to see what was over that next hill.  I think that is what kept me positive in life.  We need that "thing" to keep us interested.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, alfalfa said:

Whining is the new mantra, and not just for the old. I've been fortunate to hang with older people that still have a zest for life.  I attribute it to the motorcycle.

I think if you once had that spark then riding will help keep it alive! But it can't give you the spark that you never actually had.

As the saying goes....."Once a boring cunt.....always a boring cunt". :littleguy:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, XTreme said:

I think if you once had that spark then riding will help keep it alive! But it can't give you the spark that you never actually had.

As the saying goes....."Once a boring cunt.....always a boring cunt". :littleguy:

Yeah, but i keep hoping Bruce turns it around....

• Haha 2

Its been so bad for some people I don’t want to say I’ve enjoyed most of the lockdown but I have. It’s majorly fecked with my plans and whipped the place I had lined up in Spain away from under me but heyho, that’s the way it goes. 
Could just be me but after Christmas there seemed to be a shift in folks mood. We’ve noticed it with our customers. A lot of short tempers and intolerance. People waiting to take offence.
I’ve dropped out of some/most social stuff because I’ve noticed Im the happy person chirping away and it’s way out of step with the general mood- and that’s over the age groups not just older. 

Ive wondered for a long time if the increase of miserableness with age is to do with people finally recognising their frailty/mortality and then becoming angry they didn’t do what they wanted to do with their lives. Nursing I’d see about 2000 new people a year so a lot of life stories and a lot of advice n warnings would flow my way from them. A large proportion of the 60+ age group carry a surprising amount of regret and anger, focused on things they should let go of, I’ve always assumed it’s an active mind left unoccupied finding something to dwell on.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, alfalfa said:

Yeah, but i keep hoping Bruce turns it around....

Iray liotta laughing GIF

I threw that one out there expecting @Buckster to jump on it first......but you beat him to the punch Rick! :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

A large proportion of the 60+ age group carry a surprising amount of regret and anger, focused on things they should let go of, I’ve always assumed it’s an active mind left unoccupied finding something to dwell on.

Very true Caroline!

That's why, even if I could afford to give up work, I wouldn't do it.

I'm someone that always needs a challenge and something to focus on......so stopping work wouldn't be a good idea!

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Very true Caroline!

That's why, even if I could afford to give up work, I wouldn't do it.

I'm someone that always needs a challenge and something to focus on......so stopping work wouldn't be a good idea!

I’m feel kinda sorry for them (so long as their crazy isnt directed at me) cos when you get into your 60’s you should be doing what makes you happy and a lot of folk still don’t seem to have worked out what that is. As far as I can see it’s all a bit of a waste. Without wanting to get too heavy Ive met a lot of people who’ve done what they were supposed to do (rather than what they want to do) their whole lives and then discovered there’s no reward, that was it, you had one go and you spent it that way. I don’t think they even know why they’re angry just a general feeling they’ve been done. Which in a way they have!

• Like 2

Winter did me more damage, and today isnt helping. Never was locked down as such, people wore masks around here, and they shitdown businesses i never went too. 

Then the gooberment bought me new boots new helmet and i have more to spend...

Ready to party,my best guess is this summer is going to be nuts.

Everywhere there is a summer that is.

:wave:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Tym said:

Winter did me more damage, and today isnt helping. Never was locked down as such, people wore masks around here, and they shitdown businesses i never went too. 

Then the gooberment bought me new boots new helmet and i have more to spend...

Ready to party,my best guess is this summer is going to be nuts.

Everywhere there is a summer that is.

Summer forecast 

200.gif

• Haha 1

The only thing that has bothered me is not being out on the bike and away on the weekends with the wife but its not getting me down. Monday to Friday all i ever do is eat sleep and work anyway but since covid it has been great, no sat in traffic for hours going to and from work so less stress when driving and half the assholes i normally deal with are either working from home now or furloughed. I've also saved loads of money not being able to go anywhere so i might actually finish my front and rear gardens this year leaving me even more time for the bikes win win for me :littleguy:

• Like 2

The depressing part for me has been not being able to ride, events cancelled like the Dragon Rally and not being able to meet up with mates on a weekend for some bikes, bullshit and camping.

Of course , all this pales away completely when you think of what some peeps have had to endure.  Imagine a close realtive dying and you can't even go to their funeral :classic_sad:

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Oh.

Sorry your family is shit. 

It’s okay, they have been shit for as long as I remember.

• Haha 1

I have a question, if you can do your joB from home in NorthAnts, why cant you be outsourced to Ubertistan and Raoul take your job away from you

for pennies on the imbitchistan, the local currency of course,

in Alalalalalalaouchisban. 

Asking for Pain Capital, a private equity group in the carry bee on.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Mawsley said:

Because Raoul don’t got the same grisp uv Ingurlish like wot I do. So fuck him and his emaciated village donkey. 

Please hold, help line one! Tahnk you, would you like me to repeat the menu opTions!?! no Good Bye to You!

• Haha 3