Important! I need your help!

XTreme

10 days ago I was losing the will to live looking at the shit on Facebook......full of Politics, Covid-19, and ludicrous conspiracies!

Then a mail came in with a list of expired domains.......and one of them was adventuremotorcycles.net, originally registered about 15 years and somebody had let it slip. So it gave me an idea......and now here we are with a lot of old names onboard! Sadly, there are some who can no longer be with us!

Now the next objective is to keep the momentum up.......and I need your help in 2 ways!

1. Get the name of the site out there!

Whether it's on Social Media, other forums, or by pulling in friends directly. Particularly those guys who don't do Social Media. We've only got a small window of opportunity before people go back to work. When they do that they'll have less time and we're up against the monster that is Facebook!

2. Welcome new members when you see a new one arrive in the Introductions Section!

Then involve them in conversations in threads. Don't solely communicate with your own mates and exclude others. If you do that (and we can all do that unknowingly) it makes a place look insular and cliquey to outsiders.

The reality is this: I've got the software needed, I've got the server resources that are needed, and I have the tech knowledge that is needed. Those things exist whether this site runs or not, due to my business. No other forum is in this position, they have to rely on subscriptions etc to keep them afloat.

So it's a great position to be in. But that doesn't mean this forum will grow. It doesn't mean the forum will even be here next year! Why? Look what happened to the others.......people just drifted off, and they couldn't be replaced because of the overwhelming dominance of Facebook.

So this is why your help is critical. We need new members, and when they arrive we need to welcome them and make them one of us. 

So if you can help me out with these things.......because in terms of forums, given the dominance of Facebook, this one is basically The Last Chance Saloon for us! We won't get another opportunity like this!

Also......if anybody has got any other outreach ideas then post them up!

AdvRider is a prime recruiting ground cos I know a few of you originally came from there!

I don't know what a shill is, I suppose you want to make me your inside man over there, but I don't really know anyone there, and haven't posted for years. I never really liked place, although I do enjoy all their pictures and americanness.

My presence online has been non existent over the last 4 or  years. Posted a couple of questions on UKGser but don't know anyone there either.

Basically, you bunch of twats are my only online friends! 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I don't know what a shill is, I suppose you want to make me your inside man over there, but I don't really know anyone there, and haven't posted for years. I never really liked place, although I do enjoy all their pictures and americanness.

My presence online has been non existent over the last 4 or  years. Posted a couple of questions on UKGser but don't know anyone there either.

Basically, you bunch of twats are my only online friends! 

I'm not a fan of the place.......the only thing I look at is the amazing Ride Reports!

Just now, Gnomad said:

I haven't checked in at ADV rider for years, and in my area there really aren't Much into off roading. 

It's not just offroad Chris.......let's be honest, most GS's have never been off road!

14 minutes ago, XTreme said:

It's not just offroad Chris.......let's be honest, most GS's have never been off road!

Mine has been into the odd field, and I have occasionally taken a wrong turn. :classic_blink:

Just now, Specs said:

Mine has been into the odd field, and I have occasionally taken a wrong turn. :classic_blink:

I thought it was the KTM that you put in the field Alan? :classic_laugh:

9 hours ago, XTreme said:

I broke my GS on a rough rough, not even off road. Came back from Dawson along the Taylor Highway and must have busted the rest drive there. Stopped for coffee at Gakona and heard a "bloop" which was the rear end puking up the gear oil.

• Like 2

Yeh......so many forums are depleted now!

Thing is I do belong to a lot of FB Strom and Adv groups......loads of activity there too.

But it won't go down well if I post a link for this place......don't know why because they're completely different entities.

50 minutes ago, Catteeclan said:

Only other forum I use is carpe, oh and I do stick my head in the MT09 forum but thats dead compered to carpe and thats quiet.

When I was researching new bikes I lurked on the few Tracer sites around, both MT09 & 07, and they were all very poor, mainly because the FB groups took the energy. The Honda CB500X forum was very good though, lots of energy. Carpe lost quite a few people to FB and was almost dead, then it picked up again in recent years. I've warned people that if they lose forums to FB groups, they'll regret it badly in years to come. Forums are like pubs and have their own unique identity after a while.

• Like 2

Just been looking through a few FB bike groups now.......continual posts going in, but it's mind numbing!

Very little of any interest.......just stupid questions like should I buy Bike A or Bike B.......and putting up a poll for it! WTF?

Do people spend 15 or 20K on a bike based on what a bunch of strangers voted for in an internet poll?

I think that's how people get elected nowadays, too

I closed my facebook account when we started getting comments on the migrant issue when it first started. I just closed it and never even thought of re-starting it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Just been looking through a few FB bike groups now.......continual posts going in, but it's mind numbing!

Very little of any interest.......just stupid questions like should I buy Bike A or Bike B.......and putting up a poll for it! WTF?

Do people spend 15 or 20K on a bike based on what a bunch of strangers voted for in an internet poll?

You want to see the "whats best manual or DCT" posts on the CRF1000L group, there's usually three running side by side and every bloody time its the same questions and answers i made my mind up by getting off my arse and test riding it and i bought it because i liked it couldn't give a toss what some poll says or anybodies opinion lol

• Like 1