Himalayan

Skippy

10 minutes ago, Skippy said:

Oh that’s okay then. 

You should see the stick I get from Tym about owning a Suzuki Ray! 

Yet both our bikes are actually running! :classic_laugh:

Nice to see some actual impressions of the Himalayan. We have them here, they are about as cheap as a DS bike gets and I like the look and feel of them, like an updated Honda XL 350. 

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head, they are very old school and as such have a certain charm about them. I think those people that find them disappointing are probably expecting too much of them. If you take them at face value they are a lot of fun but as I’ve said before they do have their limitations.

• Like 1

Y;all right, i really should ride one before forming an opinion about something not made in japan just because it wasnt made in japan!

44 minutes ago, Tym said:

Y;all right, i really should ride one before forming an opinion about something not made in japan just because it wasnt made in japan!

How many Japs are actually made in Japan now though? More and more bikes now have the actual assembly done in other countries. 

I don't have a big issue with that as long as the motor itself is Japanese.

The CB500X is made in Thailand......but by all accounts the build quality is top notch. Certainly better than my Strom which was actually built in Japan. So there are some disparities.

I wouldn't be happy buying a Nissan and finding out it had a Renault engine that's for sure. But it works the other way when you buy a Skoda.......where you actually get a VW but for a lot less money.

1 minute ago, Tym said:

I guess i;ll have to stick with bikes from the 1980's, you know they were made in japan...

I'm pretty sure Yamaha and Honda built bikes in Brazil in the 80's........so it's back to the 70's to be sure of getting a genuine!

Unless you fancy a nice Strom.......they're all genuine Japs. :classic_cool:

Not sure how some Beemer owners feel about their bike being built in China though......that would worry me!

Made in China, wouldn't have it, especially now.
Got a CBF125m in the garden, made in India, absolute crap.
The CG125 that sits next to it, made in Brazil is much better but neither as good as one made in Japan.

• Like 1

My 96 Dominator was made in Italy and the quality on that is better than my 2016 CRF1000 which was built in japan, Honda's quality  is not what it used to be but that goes for all motorcycle manufacturers, everything is made more environmentally friendly nowadays the down side to that is the environment destroys it as apposed to it destroying the environment

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

My 96 Dominator was made in Italy and the quality on that is better than my 2016 CRF1000 which was built in japan, Honda's quality  is not what it used to be but that goes for all motorcycle manufacturers, everything is made more environmentally friendly nowadays the down side to that is the environment destroys it as apposed to it destroying the environment

Agree with that, although the Japan domis were better than the Italian made. Quality has gone down on all the brands.

Just now, Catteeclan said:

Agree with that, although the Japan domis were better than the Italian made. Quality has gone down on all the brands.

Yes that was sort of my point the Italian made stuff was classed as shit next to the stuff made in japan years ago but it was a better build quality  than what the Japs are building now ?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tym said:

I hear rats like to eat all that new green stuff used under the hoods of new cars...lol

What's this green stuff you speak of? I know mice have been eating cars for the last 50 years. Cars are now better tasting??

3 minutes ago, Catteeclan said:

What's this green stuff you speak of? I know mice have been eating cars for the last 50 years. Cars are now better tasting??

Dont quote my but i read they are using soy products in wiring hoses and other parts...like bait for the little buggers

3 hours ago, Tym said:

Probably a good idea ??

23 minutes ago, Skippy said:

Probably a good idea ??

Why should i let real world experience's cloud my prejudices! On the internet no less arg!!!! My mind melted! lol

@Tym, don't try one, don't give it a chance to prove you wrong.

Prejudices are only good if they're solid, once you open an exception for a Himalayan, who know what might come next.

4 minutes ago, Pedro said:

@Tym, don't try one, don't give it a chance to prove you wrong.

Prejudices are only good if they're solid, once you open an exception for a Himalayan, who know what might come next.

Well, ive had a 2003 klr since  2002, what could be worse? lol

On 18/04/2020 at 12:05, Catteeclan said:

Think this is what Muddy sold the TDM for.

Yes and no. I vowed to sell the TDM when it reached 60k. By then I'd had the bike for 13 years and though the engine was good for another 60+k the plastics were falling apart and the bike was looking tatty. Truly a great bike the 9er and I miss it, but I wanted something with less plastic that I could service myself and the Himalayan fitted the bill. That said, I would now be the owner of a DL650 if the sellers word had been good. I had the train ticket bought and was in the process of getting insurance quotes when he phoned to say he sold it to someone who turned up at his door with the readies. This is the post-modern world and a man's word is worth nothing.

Found a great deal on Ebay, bought the bike from a bloke in Glossop and rode it back up the M6. First thoughts were, 'bloody hell, this is no motorway tool'. And it's not, but on the country lanes it's a cracking bike. It handles great, has plenty of low down punch for the tricky stuff. It feels best at 50-60 mph and will return 80 mpg at those speeds. I was never much of a fast rider anyway in recent years, so it suits me fine. It's not as light as I would've liked, being almost as hefty as my 9er, but the weight means it feels nice and planted. I used to love riding the Kawasaki Super Sherpa and it reminds me more of that bike than of my old XT600E, which I didn't get on with at all.

IMG_20191129_111917crop.jpg

• Like 2

Think I remember you telling us about the Suzuki now. At least you ended up with something you have an excuse for.?
Still have your old exhaust which I cut down, not on the bike anymore, think my age is liking a quieter life and now the standards are back on.
Thinking the same way on my Dominator aswell, to bloody loud.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Were you involved with its development LOL

Getting Kawasaki's bean counters to ok disc brakes was a brutal fight down at Corporate let me tell you....lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2