Guidance

Saul

I am seriously thinking about getting a 650 Deauville for commuting to work, does it make sense? or am I losing my grasp of reality?  🤣

1 hour ago, Saul said:

I am seriously thinking about getting a 650 Deauville for commuting to work, does it make sense? or am I losing my grasp of reality?  🤣

Get one of those and you could lose the will to live, they are known as the dullville for a reason. A guy at work had one and eventually changed it for an electric scooter which he enjoys a lot more.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Saul said:

The hornet not a good commuter?

I suspect you're after a second bike and looking for excuses.:classic_laugh:

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Catteeclan said:

The hornet not a good commuter?

I think you maybe right.   The Hornet is a great commuter but I sort of don’t want to stack the miles to and fro from work.  Or I just fancy something to play with that I don’t really care about.   No you are right I am just looking for an excuse to get the Mrs on side.   🤣

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Buckster said:

Get one of those and you could lose the will to live, they are known as the dullville for a reason. A guy at work had one and eventually changed it for an electric scooter which he enjoys a lot more.

You are probably right, I was just thinking fully faired shafty, good on fuel, comfy, cheap to run and buy.    But if I am honest I couldn’t ever imagine going on a ride out with my mates on it, Dullville shame. 🤣.    It would be a cold day in hell that I ever got any sort of EV.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Catteeclan said:

Excited Season 1 GIF by The Office

having said that, @Saul, I think a CBR1100XX or VFR would make for a great going to work bike, as does an R1200 of the road kind, or k1300, ABS, heated grips and shaft!, plus comfy for riding with your little one?

We can make a fake thread reaching whatever conclusion you want, if you want something to show the wife … :classic_laugh:

• Haha 4

Probably a BMW R 1000SS would be the most suitable choice and a real little petrol sniffer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Pedro said:

Excited Season 1 GIF by The Office

having said that, @Saul, I think a CBR1100XX or VFR would make for a great going to work bike, as does an R1200 of the road kind, or k1300, ABS, heated grips and shaft!, plus comfy for riding with your little one?

We can make a fake thread reaching whatever conclusion you want, if you want something to show the wife … :classic_laugh:

The wife is okay really, if i said I was going to get another bike I would get the eye roll but she wouldn't moan.  Remember I know what she spends on horses so it's more like banter between us.  🤣  I have thought long about a big brick, I wanted one for ages years ago back when they were uber spendy.    Blackbirds are very reasonable for what you get now, £3k will get a nice one but you would be forever tickling it where I live.  One dual carriageway in Cornwall. Plus they have a thirst  and if I was going to commute on it that would be a factor if it drank more fuel than my E46.  There are lots of places where I can go full noise on the Hornet for at least a couple of gears, do that on a Blackbird and and you could be in  worlds of hurt.    Then there is an older big ZZR I do like them as well but same thing as a Blackbird also a Kawasaki GTR.  Love VFR's.  I just dunno really.    I think the factor you have hit spot on is that I want something that I can take the youngest on and that is not the Hornets sweet spot, well for her anyway.  Comfy for two with a bit of zip is the criteria, shaft mayby, fairing probably, low seat also a factor.    The FX650 Vigor and a 650 Trans I went to look at were to high for my short arse.  Plus pretty fugly in the flesh.  I think I should probably stop navel gazing be grateful for what I have and get out on the Hornet.  🤣  But then again there is a minty 1976 CB750 for sale 7 miles from me, but I would never commute on it, fuck it no, ride the Hornet  🤣.  

s-l1600.webp.47ccca4e115772b2f0491ecac10f2558.webp

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Saul said:

The wife is okay really, if i said I was going to get another bike I would get the eye roll but she wouldn't moan.  Remember I know what she spends on horses so it's more like banter between us.  🤣  I have thought long about a big brick, I wanted one for ages years ago back when they were uber spendy.    Blackbirds are very reasonable for what you get now, £3k will get a nice one but you would be forever tickling it where I live.  One dual carriageway in Cornwall. Plus they have a thirst  and if I was going to commute on it that would be a factor if it drank more fuel than my E46.  There are lots of places where I can go full noise on the Hornet for at least a couple of gears, do that on a Blackbird and and you could be in  worlds of hurt.    Then there is an older big ZZR I do like them as well but same thing as a Blackbird also a Kawasaki GTR.  Love VFR's.  I just dunno really.    I think the factor you have hit spot on is that I want something that I can take the youngest on and that is not the Hornets sweet spot, well for her anyway.  Comfy for two with a bit of zip is the criteria, shaft mayby, fairing probably, low seat also a factor.    The FX650 Vigor and a 650 Trans I went to look at were to high for my short arse.  Plus pretty fugly in the flesh.  I think I should probably stop navel gazing be grateful for what I have and get out on the Hornet.  🤣  But then again there is a minty 1976 CB750 for sale 7 miles from me, but I would never commute on it, fuck it no, ride the Hornet  🤣.  

s-l1600.webp.47ccca4e115772b2f0491ecac10f2558.webp

The Hornet is the bike for commuting, modern handling and safety plus frugal. If you’re getting something else get something to take your daughter for a coffee once a week. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Pedro said:

The Hornet is the bike for commuting, modern handling and safety plus frugal. If you’re getting something else get something to take your daughter for a coffee once a week. 

Wise words mate 👍   You could very well be right.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Saul said:

You are probably right, I was just thinking fully faired shafty, good on fuel, comfy, cheap to run and buy.    But if I am honest I couldn’t ever imagine going on a ride out with my mates on it, Dullville shame. 🤣.    It would be a cold day in hell that I ever got any sort of EV.  

you have to be careful i bought the dog as a cheap winter hack that i didn't care about and it got under my skin and found it my go to bike for pottering around on and now i'm stuck with it every time i break it i'm like a medic giving CPR to a child praying it survives.

Gene Wilder Halloween GIF by Laff

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

you have to be careful i bought the dog as a cheap winter hack that i didn't care about and it got under my skin and found it my go to bike for pottering around on and now i'm stuck with it every time i break it i'm like a medic giving CPR to a child praying it survives.

Gene Wilder Halloween GIF by Laff

I am terrible for that, I was looking at perfectly sensible old Dullvilles  around about 30K on the clock but tidy for £1000 to £1500 and ended up obsessing over a minty one with 8k on the clock supposingly for a winter commuter/winter hack.   If I had bought that I would have still be looking for an old hack to keep it nice.   🤣  And that's even before I bought one.  

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Saul said:

I am terrible for that, I was looking at perfectly sensible old Dullvilles  around about 30K on the clock but tidy for £1000 to £1500 and ended up obsessing over a minty one with 8k on the clock supposingly for a winter commuter/winter hack.   If I had bought that I would have still be looking for an old hack to keep it nice.   🤣  And that's even before I bought one.  

How about an older RT or PanEuropean? Perfect for bad weather and lovely for a passenger

• Like 2

Or, talking practical, a big scooter, like those that look like a mini goldwings. They must be great for really bad weather.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Pedro said:

How about an older RT or PanEuropean? Perfect for bad weather and lovely for a passenger

Good options both, I found something that interested me in Worcestershire which is around 3.5 hours away by road, train or bus 17 hours,  how the fuck can that be.   🤣  Think I am going to wait until the right thing just jumps out at me in Devon or Cornwall.   

• Like 1

Just now, Pedro said:

Or, talking practical, a big scooter, like those that look like a mini goldwings. They must be great for really bad weather.

Nahh not my thing, I wouldn't mind something like Bob has but those big new scoots aren't my thing all all plus the youngest wouldn't get on it.  Not cool enough.  🤣 

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Saul said:

Bought it, picking it up on Wednesday.  😎

Good for the passenger?

• Like 1

Cheers Fred I appreciate that.   PM the postage cost and I’ll send you my address and the shipping.  
Thanks Bob, haven’t had a revvy 4 pot in a long time, really looking forward to it.  
Pedro, I checked  the passenger perch and it will be soft enough for the princess.   Her response was “finally you have a bike that matches my riding gear”      I have bread and created a monster.  🤣🤣.  Oh and apparently it is also important that I now have a bike that matches hers.  😳.  

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Saul said:

Oh and apparently it is also important that I now have a bike that matches hers.  😳.  

You’ll pretend it wasn’t a factor? :classic_laugh:

• Haha 3

I think this matchy matchy thing is a carry over from the equine world.   🤣. Weird horsey types.   🤣

• Like 2