Jump to content

2024 BSA Gold Star 650 test ride


Saul

Recommended Posts

Well I got up bright and early to take the test ride and got to Thor Motorcycles around 8:45 as the ride was booked for 9:00 am.  All still unpacking when I got there so I sat down and had a cuppa whilst they got their shit together, no problem.  Anyway I got out for a lead ride, which was not advertised, at 9:30.  The youngest was disappointed as no pillions on test rides apparently, bit short sighted I would say as any bike I get I would want to ride with a pillion given that I rarely ride alone nowadays.   I bribed her with a cheeseburger and Fanta for her breakfast from the burger wagon, which also was not free as advertised.    Don't really care about that but I can see someone will moan and it pays to do as you say in the long run IMHO.    Anyway back to the ride out, the owner of Thor came out on his BSA and lead me out through the lanes to Cardinham then out on the A30 for a blast down to Innis Downs junction.  Off there through Bugle to Roche then out to Victoria Interchange and the old A30 to Lanivet and back to Thor.   A good 45 minute ride were the owner of Thor (Colin) rode like a fuck wit the whole way, weaving all over the shop to keep his tyres warm (Twat),  blasting through speed limits and riding really aggressively around motorists.   Certainly didn't endear himself to several cars he was tailgating.    Anyway to the BSA, pleasant enough to ride, but couldn't get away from the fact it felt flat.  To be fair it only had 100 miles on it so must have been tight and did loosen up as it warmed up and the ride went on.  Around the back lanes across Bodmin Moor it felt great with plenty of torque and a nice positive gearbox, never going past 50mph.   Gauges were small and hard to read but good enough and did look pretty.  Ergonomically, nice sit up riding position, comfy seat and I could flat foot it easily.   Once we were out on the A30, a fast dual carriageway, the BSA sat at 70mph quite comfortably, a few vibes crept in at 75 but went again at 80, never ventured past 85 as the bike just did not really want to.   Colin was off in the distance so must have travelling a fair bit quicker.   I guess his 22 plate bike was well run in.   No wind protection was really noticeable at 70 plus and would get tiring quickly, or would for me.    Passing cars on the A30 was  a bit risky as the mirrors were blurred and the right hand side one had vibrated out or adjustment and was pointing skyward.    I corrected it but it soon moved again. I got the impression that the bike would sit at 70mph all day if you wanted to but that is not where you would necessarily want to ride it for comfort.  Now to be fair to Colin he took me on a good route of varying conditions which did highlight the bikes strengths.  He went much further and faster than I would have done on my own so appreciate being lead.  

Would I buy one, definitely not.  I can see it would be nice to bimble around on, round the lanes on a sunny Sunday afternoon but just didn't feel like serious transport to me, I certainly wouldn't consider commuting or travelling on it.  Although of course it could do both these things but there are bikes much better suited to those tasks out there.   The BSA looked lovely to my eye and did seem quite well finished.  I think I liked looking at it more than I did riding it.  For £6k I think it is probably good value if you want what it does well.  Not for me even as a second bike.  

On a side note riding the BSA, made me appreciate how much I like my Hornet.  😉

IMG_2321.jpeg

IMG_2320.jpeg

thor2.jpeg

thor1.jpeg

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s quite a physically small bike as well don’t you think?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Saul said:

riding the BSA, made me appreciate how much I like my Hornet. 

Fucking Indian shed!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Buckster said:

It’s quite a physically small bike as well don’t you think?

Yes I would agree, if I can flat foot it with a 29" inside leg it would suit a smaller gentleman. 😎 

Still over 200kgs though , and you can feel it.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Colin sounds like a billy big bollox twat, why would you lead a ride out like that with people you don’t know.

Someone on the ride might have decided to take him on and then it could have got a bit dodgy 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

Colin sounds like a billy big bollox twat, why would you lead a ride out like that with people you don’t know.

Someone on the ride might have decided to take him on and then it could have got a bit dodgy 

Mate you have him sussed.  He would bully you if he could, total twat in my opinion.  I don't buy into it and will go to Thor whenever I like, but I have mates who won't go there.  In fact one mate won't go there unless I go with him 🤣  I get along with him up to a point but I would never buy a bike from him, I have seen how he treats people and what an awkward cunt he can be.  Shame really because Thor could be the best dealership around if it wasn't for him.  

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Buckster said:

 

Season 2 Tarot Cards GIF by HBO

You'd have confidence in a bike built by people in a country who have to live this?

spacer.png

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, XTreme said:

You'd have confidence in a bike built by people in a country who have to live this?

spacer.png

You would be amazed how good their engineering is.
 

Why are you posting pictures of Birmingham?

  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, XTreme said:

Fucking Indian shed!

Negatron strikes again, at least you put in more effort than just typing POS this time I suppose 🤣

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Saul said:

Negatron strikes again, at least you put in more effort than just typing POS this time I suppose 🤣

You said it yourself......there's no comparison whatsoever between your Honda and that thing.

You get what you pay for springs to mind.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, XTreme said:

You said it yourself......there's no comparison whatsoever between your Honda and that thing.

You get what you pay for springs to mind.

Yeah but my Honda is a first world product with double the horsepower, not a fair comparison with an A2 bike.   Also nobody gives a Hornet a second look whereas the BSA is a lovely looking thing that people bill and coo over.  If you want to pose that's important I suppose.  Not for me but there are plenty that buy into the 'Look At Me' thing and just want to potter around.    I don't think it's shit, just not what I want from a bike.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, XTreme said:

You'd have confidence in a bike built by people in a country who have to live this?

spacer.png

thats Bradford you twat

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Six30 said:

thats Bradford you twat

Stupid boy, this is Bradford.  I’ve been there today 

 

IMG_0890.thumb.jpeg.b77d1c673f5061a5d8c46c2631e7505f.jpeg

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Six30 said:

thats Bradford you twat

Not the Brexit you voted for then?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

This video was on the same bike day I went to, in fact he is riding the exact bike I did.  

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 22/05/2024 at 17:58, Saul said:

This video was on the same bike day I went to, in fact he is riding the exact bike I did.  

 

 

you getting it then ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Six30 said:

you getting it then ?

Nah not for me,  🤨  I liked it but I think it is too expensive for what it is and I don't have a roll for it really.  I'm not into cos play or posing and I can't ever imagine walking past the Hornet to ride it.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not sure why you're hung up on the idea it's for posing. It has to do with whether you like the look of it or not, it's something you have to please yourself not others. 

Bet you don't sit there with a cup of tea lovingly gazing at the Hornet, bet you would with a retro bike. 

If you didn't get that notion you wouldn't be looking at the Continental. 

All the time you've been on here that I'm aware of you've been hankering after a retro styled bike but at the price point your looking at they're not going to be comparable in any way to a Honda. 

Price wise I think it's cheap. It's closer in quality and finishing to a Trumpet than it is an Enfield but I suppose at least it's galvanised support for Royal Enfield amongst the band wagon jumping Goldstar bashers. 

We have both the continental and the goldstar, the goldstar is quality wise way better. Satisfyingly solid in comparison. 

I'm not sure why the Goldstar is getting such a hiding from everyone, it's almost like it's daring to be pretty so it's gonna get a pasting. Oh and yes it's indian 🙄

It is a very pleasant sunny sunday afternoon ride, expecting more from it is unrealistic. 

Having said that I have done a long journey on it and it was good, not brilliant because for me over distance power matters but I enjoyed the ride and arrived smiling so that counts for something. 

I often ride it to Bristol and find it good in traffic, it's easy to manoeuvre and has enough go to get out in front at roundabouts n lights.

But I find pleasure in pushing a lower powered bike to its limits, almost as much pleasure as having more power than my Kermit's can handle.

Not quite though, ultimately the higher bhp bikes come out of the garage most.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Not sure why you're hung up on the idea it's for posing. It has to do with whether you like the look of it or not, it's something you have to please yourself not others. 

Bet you don't sit there with a cup of tea lovingly gazing at the Hornet, bet you would with a retro bike. 

If you didn't get that notion you wouldn't be looking at the Continental. 

All the time you've been on here that I'm aware of you've been hankering after a retro styled bike but at the price point your looking at they're not going to be comparable in any way to a Honda. 

Price wise I think it's cheap. It's closer in quality and finishing to a Trumpet than it is an Enfield but I suppose at least it's galvanised support for Royal Enfield amongst the band wagon jumping Goldstar bashers. 

We have both the continental and the goldstar, the goldstar is quality wise way better. Satisfyingly solid in comparison. 

I'm not sure why the Goldstar is getting such a hiding from everyone, it's almost like it's daring to be pretty so it's gonna get a pasting. Oh and yes it's indian 🙄

It is a very pleasant sunny sunday afternoon ride, expecting more from it is unrealistic. 

Having said that I have done a long journey on it and it was good, not brilliant because for me over distance power matters but I enjoyed the ride and arrived smiling so that counts for something. 

I often ride it to Bristol and find it good in traffic, it's easy to manoeuvre and has enough go to get out in front at roundabouts n lights.

But I find pleasure in pushing a lower powered bike to its limits, almost as much pleasure as having more power than my Kermit's can handle.

Not quite though, ultimately the higher bhp bikes come out of the garage most.  

I am not sure I said that the Gold Star is exclusively a posers bike.  But  I have seen plenty of them ridden by the white scarf brigade and it does fit that role because it is a very good looking classic style bike, if we are honest that is it's target nostalgic audience, doesn't stop it being a good bike.  And I am sure I said it was a very pleasant bike to ride or words to that effect. I do think it is much better looking than my Hornet but the Hornet is a better bike for riding in all situations, in my opinion, and only £200 or so more in price, or it was when I bought it.  The Goldie at the time was retailing at £6800  whereas the Hornet was £6999 .  In that context I think the Gold Star is a bit on the spendy side for what it is in terms of an all round dynamic bike.  I know there is more of a differential, Goldie £6200 to £6500 plus OTR now, Hornet £7300 plus OTR.  If I could afford a garage full of bikes I am pretty sure I would have one in it but that is not my situation so within those terms it is not for me as an only bike or a second bike. 

No I don't look at Hornet pictures longingly, most naked modern Japanese stuff and other stuff is pretty generic to look at with their angry insect styling which is okay but not where my heart is.  Nortons, Triumphs, Interceptors, Continentals, BSA's, Airhead BMW's and older UJM's I do look at with doe eyes but that does not mean I would jump and buy one.  Or have it as my only everyday bike.     

As to enjoying riding a less powerful bike to its limit being fun, I have had a blast on my daughters CB125F recently, a lot of fun and I like it but I would never buy one for me.

I have no issue with BSA's being Indian, I do like RE's as well.     

I just gave my honest opinion from the test ride I had, I quite liked it but its not for me was what I said.   

A side note if I was to have a second bike by choice it would probably be a small dirt bike something like the 230cc CCM's Nathan is selling at the moment, but my Shadow is pressuring me to buy a big tourer with a comfy seat.  So I have been looking at Blackbirds but it is a pipe dream.  I promised my Mrs one bike and I'm going to keep my word, unless I manage to win one.  🙂

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Saul said:

Nah not for me,  🤨  I liked it but I think it is too expensive for what it is and I don't have a roll for it really.  I'm not into cos play or posing and I can't ever imagine walking past the Hornet to ride it.  

I dunno Saul I'd say there's a fairly strong inference that it's a posers bike in that post.

I don't own a white scarf but scarves don't just belong to the genuine vintage car or bike owner do they?

But then I don't mind posers. They're just people having a bit of fun. 

Personally I like Billy Connolly's take on posing -

"I've been a poser for fucking years. I say, pose your arse off. You know, have a laugh" 😆 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I dunno Saul I'd say there's a fairly strong inference that it's a posers bike in that post.

I don't own a white scarf but scarves don't just belong to the genuine vintage car or bike owner do they?

But then I don't mind posers. They're just people having a bit of fun. 

Personally I like Billy Connolly's take on posing -

"I've been a poser for fucking years. I say, pose your arse off. You know, have a laugh" 😆 

It's always the same in the difference between the written word and the inference in speech and conversation, but you will obviously take things as you see it I am not going to waste any time trying to change your mind.  😉

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 25/05/2024 at 18:43, Saul said:

It's always the same in the difference between the written word and the inference in speech and conversation, but you will obviously take things as you see it I am not going to waste any time trying to change your mind.  😉

Great Gatsby Movie GIF by Sony

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Privacy Policy