It’s a bit white in here

Buckster

1 hour ago, Buckster said:

What defines “Christian” then? 

Nowadays, being good and gentle to others.

Used to be going off on killing sprees accross the middle east :classic_laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Still is if you are a Knights Templar....big war coming, stock fat and deep....if you want to live free.. Not sure you Euro types have any chance to be honest...freedom was never your best suit, right? :classic_ninja:

2 hours ago, Pedro said:

Nowadays, being good and gentle to others.

Both of those answers are incorrect.

2 hours ago, Tym said:

Still is if you are a Knights Templar....big war coming, stock fat and deep....if you want to live free.. Not sure you Euro types have any chance to be honest...freedom was never your best suit, right? :classic_ninja:

There's an old Knights' Templar property about 2 or 3 minutes from me. They do a very good event and it's free to get in when no events are on if you just fancy a picnic or a wander round the herb garden. The timber framed barns are feckin huge inside, and they still have the original builder's bills, one is 800 years old this year. Have a look at the pictures at the bottom of the linked site, shame there are no people in the pictures for scale, makes the buildings look smaller than they are.

https://www.explore-essex.com/places-to-go/find-whats-near-me/cressing-temple-barns

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 28/06/2020 at 17:30, XTreme said:

Perfect for me Yen.......no Twats to put up with!

You need one of those 'twats per mile' charts like the stage show, Are You Dave Gorman. He set out to find every other person called Dave Gorman in the world after a pub bet, a very funny show (and book) with a  young Danny Wallace involved, mostly against his will.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Pedro said:

My dinner was composed mainly of cuttlefish eggs, just to let you guys know.

Is that a real thing? I thought cuttlefish were like a sort of squid. We only saw the white bone-like bits on the beach when I was a kid, they were everywhere, never saw the creature they came from though.

5 hours ago, yen_powell said:

Is that a real thing? 

Yes, very similar in texture to codfish livers, which I think you guys in the UK know about

It's cooked with sliced garlic and white wine.

IMG_8598.thumb.jpeg.64f927d1d2acaaa97644f423a776db65.jpeg

• Like 1

On 29/06/2020 at 13:15, yen_powell said:

There's an old Knights' Templar property about 2 or 3 minutes from me. They do a very good event and it's free to get in when no events are on if you just fancy a picnic or a wander round the herb garden. The timber framed barns are feckin huge inside, and they still have the original builder's bills, one is 800 years old this year. Have a look at the pictures at the bottom of the linked site, shame there are no people in the pictures for scale, makes the buildings look smaller than they are.

https://www.explore-essex.com/places-to-go/find-whats-near-me/cressing-temple-barns

That is spectacular! On my list to visit when in the UK next.

13 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Yes, very similar in texture to codfish livers, which I think you guys in the UK know about

It's cooked with sliced garlic and white wine.

IMG_8598.thumb.jpeg.64f927d1d2acaaa97644f423a776db65.jpeg

That looks like bile from the stomach of a very ill person. Bon Apetit!

Gordon.gif

2 hours ago, Catteeclan said:

:rofl:That tickled me. 
But not the fact the cats gone.

I know, butt, dark humour is the best way to cope with this cruel world that we live on. :littleguy:

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Earache said:

That is spectacular! On my list to visit when in the UK next.

Pop up the road to Lavenham whilst you are in the area https://goo.gl/maps/Dzb9WeNAmgM4t1MQ7 then take a slow wander round the streets. Same for Castle Hedingham, ignore the castle, wander the streets of the village on foot, then pop next door to the steam railway which you will probably hear tooting every 10 minutes. Oh and Kersey https://goo.gl/maps/qiQhN1E18g2SAUMK7 . People think Essex is full of yobs and electric pylons, but that is the south. North Essex is rammed with medieval timber framed cottages, not just the villages, but every tiny lane you go down you will find tucked away gems. They can cost a million quid plus to buy some of the bigguns, I reckon there's a hundred thousand millionaires tucked away in the countryside there because no one else can afford the house prices.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, XTreme said:

You're telling an American to ignore a castle?

frustrated stephen merchant GIF

It's a nice castle, but I think it is closed to the public and just used for weddings now.

Kentwell Hall in Long Melford on the other hand is a large Elizabethan manor house, got a proper moat, hedges you can walk inside, underground ice house, a farm, huge grounds and a very old camera obscura that you can just go in and have a go yourself (if you know what one of those is). And on certain weekends you can watch people dressed up as twats and acting historical parts for your amusement.

The first time I went into the kitchen, a large breasted woman shouted 'passage' at me and pushed past me with a bowl of boiling water. This she then poured down the Elizabethan indoor toilet which apparently was a thing to have in the kitchen as you could chuck the cooking waste down it as well, it all plops into the moat outside the window. The next time I went, there was a bloke using a long bow at some targets. An old couple hove into view standing next to the target and started taking pictures of him just as he was about to let loose.

My dad lived in a castle for a few months when he was an apprentice electrician, Allington Castle in Kent. They were doing a rewire for the nuns (Our Lady of Mount Carmel) who had just moved in. He took us there when we were kids and they let me climb into the secret passage/priest hole after pulling a panel out of a seat. It's a private residence now belonging to the bloke who started the MORI opinion poll, so you can't visit it anymore.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tym said:

Did someone say a castle!?! CASTLES!!!!! WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought walls dint work.... :classic_unsure:

There you go Tym..............

IMG_6882.jpeg

• Like 3