When are we going where?

MooN

Who's planning what for the coming summer riding wise?  Any epic road trips in the planniing stages? 

I know Pedro was looking at a northern ride into Germany...

The French, in their inimitable way, have maintained the practice of having what the uk call a bank holiday, on the actual day the date falls rather than on the nearest Monday. Though this sometimes give a random day off in the middle of the week, it will sometimes, when coupled with one of the "movable feasts" of the Christian calender, generate a ridiculously long wekend. It is then, a national sport, to spot these occurences and calculate how to get the most time off for the least number of days "paid Holiday".  I have always said that you ca't get anything done in France in the month of may and 2024 is a blinder

1st of may ( labour day) is a wednesday so a day off mid week

8th of May  ( V.E.Day) is rather obviously, a wednesday.

9th of May ( ascension) so another public holiday

11th and 12th are saturday and sunday, which means that if I book friday 10th May off from work I'll have 5 days off for a single day's leave from work.  That's got to be bike time right? 

So, planning with a couple of mates,a Britanny trip for that looong weekend in May.  Auxerre to probably St Brieuc on day 1 which will be bollox boring as far as Rennes but we can do without using the Autoroute. about 6 to 7 hrs riding I reckon. St Brieuc to Le Conquet along the coast on day 2 much less distance but very minor roads so much slower.

Day 3 from Le Conquet to Lorient, along the coast but cutting across the odd peninsula to avoid the worst of the holiday traffic and pausing to visit the Standing stones at Carnac and the tomb of Bernard Moitessier at Le Bono on the way round.

Day 4 from Lorient to somewhere like St Brévin les Pins again along the coast

and day 5 from there home will be a simple but long days ride west via Nantes, Tours and Vierzon, crossing the Loire at Bonny sur Loire and thus home.

should be about 2000km over the 5 days and I don't know if I'm physically capable of it. Gonna try tho cos its not going to get any easier with time 

First night is now sorted and the following are coming together, so...

Bring it on!

• Like 6

Sounds like a good trip is coming together, I may get the occasional few hours out on the bike but having the 2nd one in April will probably be cutting any riding down to a minimum for a while so not going to plan anything and just take it a day at a time if I get out I get out if not then another day it is

• Like 3

The rough plan is to ride up to Zaragoza towards the end of May and meet up with three mates from the UK. Looks like it could be a six day jaunt but as of yet there are no fixed plans……..we’ll probably let the weather decide our destination most days.

• Like 2

Germany is on my mind, but so is Italy, no plans though and work mixed with family health might mean I end up doing nothing during summer. 

I have been looking at the weather in Morocco now though, and I missed out on a nice trip, there’s a lesson.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, MooN said:

should be about 2000km over the 5 days

Depends what sort of roads you’re going on, but since you know what they are it’s always easy to hop on a motorway and kill 100km of boring roads easily.

maybe more enjoyable to take 500km off for the same days? Leave you in better fitness for dinners and drinks with said mates.

56 minutes ago, MooN said:

Who's planning what for the coming summer riding wise?  Any epic road trips in the planniing stages? 

I know Pedro was looking at a northern ride into Germany...

The French, in their inimitable way, have maintained the practice of having what the uk call a bank holiday, on the actual day the date falls rather than on the nearest Monday. Though this sometimes give a random day off in the middle of the week, it will sometimes, when coupled with one of the "movable feasts" of the Christian calender, generate a ridiculously long wekend. It is then, a national sport, to spot these occurences and calculate how to get the most time off for the least number of days "paid Holiday".  I have always said that you ca't get anything done in France in the month of may and 2024 is a blinder

1st of may ( labour day) is a wednesday so a day off mid week

8th of May  ( V.E.Day) is rather obviously, a wednesday.

9th of May ( ascension) so another public holiday

11th and 12th are saturday and sunday, which means that if I book friday 10th May off from work I'll have 5 days off for a single day's leave from work.  That's got to be bike time right? 

So, planning with a couple of mates,a Britanny trip for that looong weekend in May.  Auxerre to probably St Brieuc on day 1 which will be bollox boring as far as Rennes but we can do without using the Autoroute. about 6 to 7 hrs riding I reckon. St Brieuc to Le Conquet along the coast on day 2 much less distance but very minor roads so much slower.

Day 3 from Le Conquet to Lorient, along the coast but cutting across the odd peninsula to avoid the worst of the holiday traffic and pausing to visit the Standing stones at Carnac and the tomb of Bernard Moitessier at Le Bono on the way round.

Day 4 from Lorient to somewhere like St Brévin les Pins again along the coast

and day 5 from there home will be a simple but long days ride west via Nantes, Tours and Vierzon, crossing the Loire at Bonny sur Loire and thus home.

should be about 2000km over the 5 days and I don't know if I'm physically capable of it. Gonna try tho cos its not going to get any easier with time 

First night is now sorted and the following are coming together, so...

Bring it on!

Nantes, that's a fecking ball-ache getting through or around there .

• Like 1

I have several ideas for next summer but probably will only be able to do one of them.

Tour of the cobbled roads in Flanders, Paris-Roubiax route and some WW2 sites in the Falaise pocket

Off-road crossing of the Pyrenees, probably East to West

Ride to Dover and then do the southern TET route back to Bristol

Go to Jax Shack in France, ride trails, eat food and drink beer

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Depends what sort of roads you’re going on, but since you know what they are it’s always easy to hop on a motorway and kill 100km of boring roads easily.

maybe more enjoyable to take 500km off for the same days? Leave you in better fitness for dinners and drinks with said mates.

the problem with getting to Brittany from here is that the autoroute adds so many miles that any time benefit is completely lost. I go via autoroute in the car cos its just so easy, cruise control etc etc but its still around 7 hours. The non autoroute way by bike will be around the same time frame with less kilometers and not 45€ of péage...

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

I have several ideas for next summer but probably will only be able to do one of them.

Tour of the cobbled roads in Flanders, Paris-Roubiax route and some WW2 sites in the Falaise pocket

Off-road crossing of the Pyrenees, probably East to West

Ride to Dover and then do the southern TET route back to Bristol

Go to Jax Shack in France, ride trails, eat food and drink beer

If you go to Jax shack in the dordogne, gimme a shout...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, busabeast said:

Sounds like a good trip is coming together, I may get the occasional few hours out on the bike but having the 2nd one in April will probably be cutting any riding down to a minimum for a while so not going to plan anything and just take it a day at a time if I get out I get out if not then another day it is

you couldn,t get much more minimum 

• Haha 3