Shed.

Saul

Dunno if I have mentioned it but I want  a shed for my bike and bike stuff.   I have a 3m x 3m concrete base just outside the back door.  I cast it years ago so the kids could have a temporary pool on it every summer, now they are to old for that sort of thing I thought ,my time has come.    Just priced up to build the frame for the shed, wanted to build it out of 63 x 38 cls for a good job that would be strong and last.  Fuck me has timber gotten expensive 😳.  Just timber for the frame is over £600.  Plus sheeting, roofing, fixings and glass.  Looking at around £1200, complete, seems a helluva lot for a 10 x 10 shed.   I could get a self assembly log cabin for similar sort of money, which I would just have to assemble rather than  build from scratch.    Other option would be a Metal shed which would be around £500 but I just don't like the bloody things, although I am sure it would be pretty functional.  Plus I could always customize it.    Could also get a normal 10 x 8 wood Shed for £650 ish.   

IMG_0497.jpeg

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Saul said:

Dunno if I have mentioned it but I want  a shed for my bike and bike stuff.   I have a 3m x 3m concrete base just outside the back door.  I cast it years ago so the kids could have a temporary pool on it every summer, now they are to old for that sort of thing I thought ,my time has come.    Just priced up to build the frame for the shed, wanted to build it out of 63 x 38 cls for a good job that would be strong and last.  Fuck me has timber gotten expensive 😳.  Just timber for the frame is over £600.  Plus sheeting, roofing, fixings and glass.  Looking at around £1200, complete, seems a helluva lot for a 10 x 10 shed.   I could get a self assembly log cabin for similar sort of money, which I would just have to assemble rather than  build from scratch.    Other option would be a Metal shed which would be around £500 but I just don't like the bloody things, although I am sure it would be pretty functional.  Plus I could always customize it.    Could also get a normal 10 x 8 wood Shed for £650 ish.   

IMG_0497.jpeg

I bought my metal shed (10ftx8ft) (i actually wanted a 8ftx10ft)from Argos, it was 10 years ago though, back then it was £200, it still looks as good as new, inside and out.

I was a bit worried about condensation in the colder months as I heard they are prone to it.

Mine is on a wooden base with is 4 inch above ground level, and it has a wooden floor, I do get a little condensation in the winter months.

The sliding doors are a joke, a 5 year old kid could force their way through them, so nowdays I reverse park my car right up to the doors. 

I too wanted a wooden shed before I bought the steel one, but as you say the cost for a shed, even back then it was a stupid high price.

• Like 3

That's interesting Clive, I have put a couple of those metal sheds together in the past when I had my handyman business.  I didn't like those sliding doors then, I could build some custom wooden frame doors to replace them.  Security is not that important where I live.  Also the shed itself would behind a locked 6 ft gate.  Condensation and also insulation is a concern for me.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, XTreme said:
11 minutes ago, Saul said:

That's interesting Clive, I have put a couple of those metal sheds together in the past when I had my handyman business.  I didn't like those sliding doors then, I could build some custom wooden frame doors to replace them.  Security is not that important where I live.  Also the shed itself would behind a locked 6 ft gate.  Condensation and also insulation is a concern for me.  

It is a typical steel shed, like a oven in summer 😰 and a freezer in winter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes mate, I was thinking I could use some insulation board inside the shed on a wooden frame then either ply line or use OSB for the walls inside, just use the tin for the outer weatherproofing.  I can get an actual 10 x 8 tin shed for around £300, then spend  £200 making the inside more pleasant and usable all year.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Saul said:

This type of thing is £300 ish.  

tin shed1.jpeg

tin shed2 .jpeg

dont look very nice in your garden though ... i would go for a wooden shed ., i would extend the base and go for as big as you can.

1 hour ago, XTreme said:

Buck's got one of those metal bike storage things.

I got the real thing, Asgard motorcycle garage, not some cheap West Country bumpkin shit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I see someone’s been overdosing on the charm pills again 😆

I’d go bigger, run electricity to it and put a dehumidifier in there.. and a heater and sofa and a beer fridge and a tv to watch footy with men commentators 

You’ve waited too long to go half measures on it. 

Yas Agree GIF by Tiffany

• Haha 3

Wanted electricity in my shed, but housing association are not happy with holes being drilled in the bungalow walls......so I just use a extension lead.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Having a comfortable

Sometimes its better to beg forgiveness than ask permission.

I did look at doing it, but there are no power points in our spare room on wall nearest the shed,  be a bit of a job getting power from the only socket in that room.

• Like 2

You want to see my father in-laws shed. He went to town on it. He said he was going to build himself a little shed. It’s about 6000 square foot 😆

I kid you not. My MIL is urr how do I politely say a total cowbag? So in his ‘shed’ he has a warehouse heater, a sofa, a TV and a full sized kitchen along with his classic tractors and some vehicles he doesn’t drive but likes to look at. He even put in a road so it was too far away from everyone else for them to just pop in 😆

Wise man. 

I have my bikes, a sofa and a fridge in my garage and a room within it with a large workbench, underfloor heating, a kettle, nice chair where I faff about making bits n bobs. Time and space to yourself away from your loved ones is priceless.

Go large @Saul, even if it’s just two cheap jobbies joined together. 

The trees were deliberately planted so it will eventually be hidden.

IMG_1121.thumb.jpeg.3b3d2f40832889b094a37ddc23c212d5.jpeg

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Clive said:

I did look at doing it, but there are no power points in our spare room on wall nearest the shed,  be a bit of a job getting power from the only socket in that room.

The correct way to do it would be direct from the fuse board so its on its own circuit and doesn't affect the rest of the house if there's a fault in the shed.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

You want to see my father in-laws shed. He went to town on it. He said he was going to build himself a little shed. It’s about 6000 square foot 😆

I kid you not. My MIL is urr how do I politely say a total cowbag? So in his ‘shed’ he has a warehouse heater, a sofa, a TV and a full sized kitchen along with his classic tractors and some vehicles he doesn’t drive but likes to look at. He even put in a road so it was too far away from everyone else for them to just pop in 😆

Wise man. 

I have my bikes, a sofa and a fridge in my garage and a room within it with a large workbench, underfloor heating a kettle nice chair where I faff about making bits n bobs. Time and space to yourself away from your loved ones is priceless.

Go large @Saul, even if it’s just two cheap jobbies joined together. 

The trees were deliberately planted so it will eventually be hidden.

Yes rule of thumb with garages and sheds is think of a size that's big enough and then double it 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1