This is for all those asking about my bike.

zzzak

Parked up in 2016, some fuel, oil, coolant and a battery and voila.

It lives, when it fired I was a very happy boy, seven years and now this.

Sounds great, those are Dominator cans from Poland, cost €250 delivered and arrived in a week, Akra can go fuck themselves.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, zzzak said:

Parked up in 2016, some fuel, oil, coolant and a battery and voila.

It lives, when it fired I was a very happy boy, seven years and now this.

Sounds great, those are Dominator cans from Poland, cost €250 delivered and arrived in a week, Akra can go fuck themselves.

Sounds great!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Marcel said:

2004 zzzak ?

2007 with the black frame, the others were silver, I got it on special in 2008 as a run out model as the 990's had arrived so they added the luggage kit and dropped the price to AU$16,500.

I financed it and when I went to sign the agreement the salesman said to me, "you've got a great deal on the loan", he was shaking his head while he looked at it.

It was $280pm for five years, do the math, 60 x 280 = 16,800, so apart from a $300 fee for the contract it was interest free, I only paid the asking price, he was right, it was a great deal.

I have always thought that the bike chose me, I just came across the ad by chance, I wasn't looking for a new bike but it didn't take long to change my mind when I threw a leg over, maybe there's a reason I have kept it for 16 years.

It's like a faithful pet, after 7 years it fired up almost instantly and its raring to go, I can tell that when I rev it.

It's also the best bike ever made and I defy anybody to prove me wrong, I'll open a debate on why my bike is better than ours with any of you if you're up to the challenge.

This is what it looked like on 17/5/2008 when I picked it up, sorry about the watermark, I can't find the original file.

katie.png

• Like 2

Here's a better shot that shows off the clean lines of the topbox, also the 690 screen and the HDB handguards, I got shot of the tankbag and the panniers, basically useless, a topbox is tops.

P1010275 (1).jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, boboneleg said:

Yes, give us a ride report from out in the bush.  Infact if you and @skyrider both do a ride report I reckon we could see some of these ..............

s-l1600.jpg.cc5c1e6ab287de6d848ee864663bdf60.jpg

I'm up to the challenge, after all my ride reports were very popular on Maximum Bikes back in the day, much more popular than any of yours.

Got a bit to do though, the zinc for my plating of the  rusty bolts arrived so I'll get onto that after I sell the Pajero.

It's called priorities.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, zzzak said:

I'm up to the challenge, after all my ride reports were very popular on Maximum Bikes back in the day, much more popular than any of yours.

Got a bit to do though, the zinc for my plating of the  rusty bolts arrived so I'll get onto that after I sell the Pajero.

It's called priorities.

Blah blah .  I'll inform the pigs that they'll be unemployed for next five years then .......................

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

Blah blah .  I'll inform the pigs that they'll be unemployed for next five years then .......................

You and Bucky seem to have a thing going, what goes on in the mods lounge I wonder.

image_2023-06-02_064531316.png

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, zzzak said:

Here's a better shot that shows off the clean lines of the topbox, also the 690 screen and the HDB handguards, I got shot of the tankbag and the panniers, basically useless, a topbox is tops.

P1010275 (1).jpg

When I sold my 950 it was like saying goodbye to one of my favorite dog due to old age....like a trusty old friend that never let me down...amazing engine those 950..

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Pedro said:

And then you sold her for money!

Time had come Pedro...it was and old machine 2004...sold it for 5 g and had to rebuilt the forks in the deal...it would have cost more to do a complete rebuilt than getting a new one...I'm talking.. even rad hoses would have needed replacing ...everything...timing chain was getting noisy...just didn't think it was a wize investment pumping that amount of money to make it new again...

30 minutes ago, Marcel said:

Time had come Pedro...it was and old machine 2004...sold it for 5 g and had to rebuilt the forks in the deal...it would have cost more to do a complete rebuilt than getting a new one...I'm talking.. even rad hoses would have needed replacing ...everything...timing chain was getting noisy...just didn't think it was a wize investment pumping that amount of money to make it new again...

How many k's, was there a lot of off road involved, mine is essentially a road bike but it cruises easily at 90k on our dirt roads, trouble is all my riding companions were dirt shy.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, zzzak said:

How many k's, was there a lot of off road involved, mine is essentially a road bike but it cruises easily at 90k on our dirt roads, trouble is all my riding companions were dirt shy.

Just a tad over a 100 k ...I'd say maybe 25% was dirt roads...nothing to technical just basically forestry access roads...what I don't like about my new model is the amount of electronics that's built into it..my first choice was the R but they were sold out ...not that I wanted a more dirt worthy machine ..my dirt riding years are basically behind me at my age...the S model you can't basically work on them unless you have a labtop handy..but I think KTM is offering and extended warranty this year before my factory warranty runs out...I'll have to check into that and see what it all covers..I'm not worried about the engine mechanical it's just the electronics...

• Like 1

I used to do a fair bit of off road and there were a few lads on KTMs. None of them said they were bad bikes as they were so good off road but none would have described them as extremely reliable.
Popping fork seals, petrol leaks and a mass shedding of bolts. We always got home with spare bolts tie raps and tape. DRZ seemed trouble free in comparison.

• Like 2

The full on dirt bikes get hammered but this is a road bike and gets gentle treatment by comparism.

I bet the Katies were in the winners circle where you were, it's horses for courses.

49 minutes ago, Marcel said:

Just a tad over a 100 k ...I'd say maybe 25% was dirt roads...nothing to technical just basically forestry access roads...what I don't like about my new model is the amount of electronics that's built into it..my first choice was the R but they were sold out ...not that I wanted a more dirt worthy machine ..my dirt riding years are basically behind me at my age...the S model you can't basically work on them unless you have a labtop handy..but I think KTM is offering and extended warranty this year before my factory warranty runs out...I'll have to check into that and see what it all covers..I'm not worried about the engine mechanical it's just the electronics...

The beauty of mine is that there are no computers at all, still got carbs and the manual tells you how to change the oil, these days the manual gives you a phone number to call, this is only one of the reason why I call it the best bike ever made.

It doesn't even have a rev counter.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Catteeclan said:

I used to do a fair bit of off road and there were a few lads on KTMs. None of them said they were bad bikes as they were so good off road but none would have described them as extremely reliable.
Popping fork seals, petrol leaks and a mass shedding of bolts. We always got home with spare bolts tie raps and tape. DRZ seemed trouble free in comparison.

In fact I never owned a single cylinder ktm so I can't really say anything about them...

The lc8 platform was a game changer back in those days and even to this day many have tried to copy without success...Mark my words they will be remembered has one of the greatest motorcycle ever built...

20170522_114004.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marcel said:

In fact I never owned a single cylinder ktm so I can't really say anything about them...

The lc8 platform was a game changer back in those days and even to this day many have tried to copy without success...Mark my words they will be remembered has one of the greatest motorcycle ever built...

20170522_114004.jpg

That's it Marcel, the best bike ever made, however you seem to have transcended the tyranny of framing, its only showing a part of the bike, for example here's a pic of the sm arse.

rear end.png

1 minute ago, zzzak said:

That's it Marcel, the best bike ever made, however you seem to have transcended the tyranny of framing, its only showing a part of the bike, for example here's a pic of the sm arse.

rear end.png

I do have tons of pics somewheres...on one of my old phones maybe...even pics of one of my last ride with it...got to pull them out before I loose them..

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Pedro said:

And then you sold her for money!

Let her find a happier place, these bikes don't get ignored, some new person is waxing her as we speak, they are a collectors item and are as significant as a Vincent Black Shadow, they are the last of the carburetted big V twins, no computers , no nothing but a Dakar winning  bike on the road for those lucky enough to have one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marcel said:

I do have tons of pics somewheres...on one of my old phones maybe...even pics of one of my last ride with it...got to pull them out before I loose them..

I remember your local lap with jump from max bikes.

Hahahaha.

28 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

KTM 950 you say ……,,

image.thumb.jpeg.2b174e26a17947d901ca8669ec3741ac.jpeg

EBEF849F-865D-4161-819F-18452823DC8F.thumb.jpeg.db1933ea507c7a114aced21689d258b3.jpeg

Indeed I did, I seem to recall that you my have had one, are either of these yours ?