Rust

Saul

Talking about potential rust on some less than premium brand bikes I thought I would show you a project I abandoned very early on.   
A mate of mine gave me a Lexmoto Valencia twist and go scoot for my boy.  We though it would get him on the road for a few hundred.  The scoot belonged to his aunty who passed away and he just wanted it gone.   So I went and got it and pushed it back home, he lives across the park from me.  Like he said it was a bit rough but had only done 498 miles in his Aunts hands from new.  
I had a look over it when I got it back and was shocked by how much it had rusted. It did live outside under a cover but had seen no wet riding or road salt.  First things first I wanted to hear it run before spending anything.   There was a vacuum type pet cock that was locked shut and the carb was also locked up.  I them connected a battery and got it running on brake cleaner.  It sounded as sweet as a nut and wanted to run.   All the electrical stuff worked. 
Anyway I thought get some air in the tyres, the tyre valve crumbled in my hand, I tried to get the wheel off and the axel was rusted solid.  At this point it was obviously going to be a lost cause.   Battery, Tyres, fuel system, brakes and god knows what else, just to get a functional rusty heap.  So now it is garden art, I have been meaning to ask my mate if he wants it back but I reckon it will be going to the scrappy.    The point I am getting to is these things need to be carefully looked after or they will dissolve before your eyes. 
Oh and the Dear Boy was on rat patrol.  

EE8FC9B8-F9B3-442A-95FB-AB9BCFA89EF4.jpeg

2A4E51B5-8A1C-4859-BD7B-BA2D2874656A.jpeg

C223F482-321B-4FCF-8D67-0B657E3D60D5.jpeg

8D117F70-F4D1-4C66-875F-52F5B6F35AA1.jpeg

9CCD22AA-5EBF-402A-8771-0CF62D7A32A5.jpeg

737C395E-3155-41F7-B868-C321B40649AD.jpeg

26DA76A5-3A1C-444E-B3FA-8B9010893AF4.jpeg

2D57A3C1-579E-47CE-AE52-2E5EEE41F17F.jpeg

AF9CBF8C-972B-4E22-8E0B-E74CF9071B14.jpeg

F587C3D6-1077-4D70-8D3B-ACA41A473747.jpeg

• Like 5

Nice, good Chinese quality there. You should post it for sale on a Lexmoto or scooter forum, I bet you would get £100 for it.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, XTreme said:

You'd think it had been stored for 40 years by the state it's in!

Your bike looks like that underneath where you can’t see it.

You need one of these.

1E9A10AD-B7B3-431B-AACE-81005EB4106A.jpeg.d3a27acfcf9a74f568a5c7e82d1e5764.jpeg

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, XTreme said:

You'd think it had been stored for 40 years by the state it's in!

See that's the shocker I remember when the old lady in question bought the scoot new as she lived close to me and it was parked in the square where I live.  I always thought it looked pretty nice when I saw her ride it or it had the cover off, obviously it got left when her health failed but apart from not being garaged it lead a charmed life.  As I said I was shocked when I got it to bits and saw how bad it really was.  I knew it needed a front master cylinder, battery and maybe tyres but thought a good clean and a  polish would have it something like it, sadly mistaken.  I sort of hope the newer stuff is better quality but I wouldn't bet on it.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Saul said:

See that's the shocker I remember when the old lady in question bought the scoot new as she lived close to me and it was parked in the square where I live.  I always thought it looked pretty nice when I saw her ride it or it had the cover off, obviously it got left when her health failed but apart from not being garaged it lead a charmed life.  As I said I was shocked when I got it to bits and saw how bad it really was.  I knew it needed a front master cylinder, battery and maybe tyres but thought a good clean and a  polish would have it something like it, sadly mistaken.  I sort of hope the newer stuff is better quality but I wouldn't bet on it.  

no they wouldn't get me to spend my money on chinese junk

You do live by the sea too so I'd guess the sea air and cheap shite metals and there is the end result, hope you're all up to date on your tetanus injections

• Like 1

Just been messing on YouTube sorting some horse vids and came across this video of my old Chinky CG clone.   I took this video for part of my for sale add and it shows the condition of the bike after 4 years and 12k miles of commuting.  
Just goes to show that Chinese stuff can last if it is looked after. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Saul said:

Just been messing on YouTube sorting some horse vids and came across this video of my old Chinky CG clone.   I took this video for part of my for sale add and it shows the condition of the bike after 4 years and 12k miles of commuting.  
Just goes to show that Chinese stuff can last if it is looked after. 

Did you coat it in lard?

• Haha 1