BSA questions.

Saul

3 minutes ago, Saul said:

I had some unreliable Jap stuff, I remember a Suzuki GSX 250 that ate its on alternator as they all did, a CB250N with a rattly cam chain  and dissolving exhaust centre box, as Suzuki GS425 with the same cam chain issue, a Yam XS750 with a stretched cam chain.  Kawasaki's with plastic oil pumps.  There were plenty of  examples.  I agree much butter than previous Brit stuff that set a pretty low bar but the Japs had there faults as well.  They were piled high and sold cheap.  

Yes everything has its faults even now in fact i think things have got worse over these last 20 years but the Brit stuff was winning at it in their day

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I meant Jap bikes of the same age as British bikes in the 70's

Ah right no I was talking about the journey manufacturers take when they're engineering something. The improvements come in increments, nothing is at it's peak on first release... unless Venture capatlists or investment firms get involved and then it's guaranteed the peak is over 😆

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, XTreme said:

They might shift a lot of them based on badge and price, but as for the quality I'm not so sure.

I'm actually quite open to newer brands from different markets coming in......providing they are focussing on reaching comparable standards to the Japs rather than based on a "stack 'em high, sell 'em cheap" business model.

And at the moment I only see one company who potentially could cross over into the mainstream.....Loncin/Voge!

Quality like your BMW? 😜

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I'll be honest while I appreciate the excellence of the Japanese engineering, I don't share your enthusiasm for their work ethic or standards in general.

Poor old Uncle Doug was well and truly fucked forever after he was tortured in a Japanese Camp and would be turning in his grave if he knew I'd bought a Jap bike!

That reminded me of my maternal grandad who was imprisoned by the Japanese in WW2. He hated them with a passion, but always bought new Datsuns/Nissans because they were reliable.    I never understood that and he wasn't the sort of chap you would ask why.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Saul said:

That reminded me of my maternal grandad who was imprisoned by the Japanese in WW2. He hated them with a passion, but always bought new Datsuns/Nissans because they were reliable.    I never understood that and he wasn't the sort of chap you would ask why.  

Buying Japanese was a massive nono. The cruelty was on another level and would never be forgotten. 

But eventually you have to let these things go (not forget them just let them go) and the Suzuki was the first Japanese thing I bought only 2 years ago.

Oddly enough this unspoken rule didnt apply to German stuff?! Go figure 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Oddly enough this unspoken rule didnt apply to German stuff?! Go figure

Absolutely correct1

In the early 70's most of us would have gotten abuse from old guys for having a Jap bike.....but that hatred never extended to Germans or Italians.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Absolutely correct1

In the early 70's most of us would have gotten abuse from old guys for having a Jap bike.....but that hatred never extended to Germans or Italians.

True that.  Jap Crap, Rich Burner, heard many variations of that.  I remember one fecking great chap I knew who was in my age group but fanatically committed to brit stuff, from C15 upwards, he often didn't ride with us as he often didn't have functioning transport.  He always made the pub to bore us shitless though with the same old tropes.  Anyway he was very vociferous about slanty eyed shit, including the local Chinese takeaway  which I always thought was odd, but in his eyes they were all the same.    One night after the pub he goes in the chinese with us all and demands a pasty pulling his eyes to slits and making a fake chinese accent asking for a flucking plasty, when he didn't get what he wanted he leant over the counter and pulled the owners four or five hair beard out by the roots.    Oh fuck was that the biggest mistake he ever made.  The diminutive owner who we all knew as Stanley and was probably in his 50's at the time grabbed a broom cleared the counter and chased fuck nuts down the road.  We all followed to see what was going to happen. Stanley caught him after about 300 yards and proceed to work him over with the broom.  Using it like a long staff or even Kendo stick.  We were very impressed.  Mind you for all the clouts fuck nuts took there was hardly a mark on him the next day. 

We all grew up and knew Stanley, he had been in the village for years, none of us knew he was some sort of martial artist though.   I knew his son at school who was called Way Wong, of course hilarious to us.  He was a good guy though and very good at kicking light bulbs out of their ceiling holders.  Imagine a little  5 foot chinese teenage ninja with a cornish accent, we all knew not to ever mess with him though.    Obviously whatever he knew came from his Dad.    Sorry I ramble on, time for bed I think .  🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Poor old Uncle Doug was well and truly fucked forever after he was tortured in a Japanese Camp and would be turning in his grave if he knew I'd bought a Jap bike!

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm  , I might be wrong but I think your Bandit is probably made by Suzuki 😜

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Saul said:

But do they really need to bring anything new to the table, reasonably well made bike for a good affordable price sounds like good marketing to me.  Not many bikers who buy the latest GSXRR1FirebladeNinja or whatever really use the machines full potential.  They might boast they do but in reality?   I respect what most modern japanese machinery is,  but think most of it looks hideous, now if I could buy a Suzuki GS1000E  or Honda CB900 clone from the early 1980's I would love that.  I wouldn't bag some of the new chinese stuff either it is light years away from the cheap rubbish you could buy just 5 or 10 years ago.  Remember I bought a chinky bike in a box 12 years ago.  It was okay transport and worth what I paid for it.  Never going to impress anyone but it did what I wanted pretty reliably.  

You’re right, they are pig ugly, just look at shite like the Hayabusa, must have been designed by the short sighted Labrador of a geriatric blind man.

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, Buckster said:

You’re right, they are pig ugly, just look at shite like the Hayabusa, must have been designed by the short sighted Labrador of a geriatric blind man.

You are right buck it isn't the best looking bike in the world though that is a very personal choice isn't it, you will probably say your harley is a thing of beauty yet others will say it is hideous so what fits in with one won't fit others.

What I will say is so long as the respective bike makes the owner of said bike happy thats all that matters eh

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, busabeast said:

You are right buck it isn't the best looking bike in the world though that is a very personal choice isn't it, you will probably say your harley is a thing of beauty yet others will say it is hideous so what fits in with one won't fit others.

What I will say is so long as the respective bike makes the owner of said bike happy thats all that matters eh

are you gonna cry basketball wives GIF by VH1

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, busabeast said:

Don't listen to the Devil man he speaks with forked tongue 😆

• Haha 2

Well I went and saw for myself today as a local dealer has a Gold Star in stock.  Its bloody lovely, sound awesome to.  If I had the spare cash I would have one in a heartbeat.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Committing to buying a bike before it's release is risky. I did a fair amount of reading up on Mahindra, the design process, who they were using to do what, what parts they were using and anything else I could before I decided to risk it biscuit and I'll be honest I thought even if it fall's flat on it's face it would be collectable/appealing and there's always a market for that so I'd be able to get shot of it if it's a lemon 😆

Even with all the reading I did not know Mahindra owns the controlling stake of 80% in Peugeot motorcycles!

I expected as an interceptor owner this guy would be looking for faults and doing a constant comparison, he does do just that but the BSA does well.

• Like 1

And one more with slightly different info. Looks like someones melted their trousers onto the exhaust 😂 It will be interesting to see what real bikers make of it cos the YouTubers know they have to be nice or no-one will give them a bike 😆

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LXP5TXI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and a quick three minute review Goldstar V's Interceptor by Nathan Millward

• Like 1