Helmet

Saul

II haven't seen a Bell in the flesh for years I just remember they were good.   I had a Griffin many years ago and loved that both in looks and comfort.  I do like the look of Schuberths but they are spendy, perhaps when I have recovered from buying the bike but I am in no hurry I am happy with what I have got for now.

• Like 2

I used Shoei for years......but the prices kept going up and up.

In 2016 I read reviews on HJC which said they were designed around the Shoei head shape and were a lot more reasonable in price.

So I ordered one and sure enough it was very much like the Shoei.......though the finish, quietness and interior wasn't as good.

No doubt the Shoei is better......but there's no way it's 3 times better in terms of the price differential. And in some cases the HJC was getting a higher safety rating than the Shoei.

I'll be getting another HJC next year without a doubt.

• Like 3

That old BMW helmet is cool, though, back when german helmets looked so dorky they were cool. I’ve got 3 or 4 at home that belonged to Maria, her dad having eorked for the Portuguese BMW importer in the 90s, all kinds of funky colours. They were great quality, but that stuff has an expiration date.

One of my favourite pictures ever, of a little Moroccan girl trying one out. At the end of the trip it was falling apart.

5F45DB35-1D8D-4125-B6F1-B5BC0038B69F.thumb.jpeg.c2019ac9a9950c8e54316f89837eaf3c.jpeg

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Saul said:

II haven't seen a Bell in the flesh for years I just remember they were good.   I had a Griffin many years ago and loved that both in looks and comfort.  I do like the look of Schuberths but they are spendy, perhaps when I have recovered from buying the bike but I am in no hurry I am happy with what I have got for now.

Yes they were good, I don't understand why they let their reputation slide down the pan producing what they produce now. 

Sounds like you got a new lid when you got your Enfield, so long as theres something on that bonce 👍

• Like 1

Just now, XTreme said:

I had a Griffin Clubman back in the 70's......they were great for the time.

Thats what I had Black and Gold trim Clubman, cool as, I thought 😎

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pedro said:

That old BMW helmet is cool, though, back when german helmets looked so dorky they were cool. I’ve got 3 or 4 at home that belonged to Maria, her dad having eorked for the Portuguese BMW importer in the 90s, all kinds of funky colours. They were great quality, but that stuff has an expiration date.

One of my favourite pictures ever, of a little Moroccan girl trying one out. At the end of the trip it was falling apart.

5F45DB35-1D8D-4125-B6F1-B5BC0038B69F.thumb.jpeg.c2019ac9a9950c8e54316f89837eaf3c.jpeg

Brilliant pic. The field of vision in that visor is ENORMOUS!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saul said:

I love that, you would need a bike to match though.    R100C or Jota or Guzzi

Futuristic styling for the time......particularly compared to my previous Kangol Gladiator which looked like a deep sea divers helmet!

kaw2.jpg.ca3a482fbd6c142515828e7fe6a49a60.jpg

• Haha 4

48 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Beautiful.

They deserve framing. 

My frame with the kids theme

75FCB845-C3FC-4CDC-8862-A52708370EE5.thumb.jpeg.480c8f45b1f13202b6c51e29de001a1c.jpeg

47 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Snap onto the visor?

Yes, aren’t those snap on buttons on the top of the visor?

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Pedro said:

My frame with the kids theme

75FCB845-C3FC-4CDC-8862-A52708370EE5.thumb.jpeg.480c8f45b1f13202b6c51e29de001a1c.jpeg

Yes, aren’t those snap on buttons on the top of the visor?

No......they were air vents that had a metal grill in them from what I can remember.

Just now, XTreme said:

No......they were air vents that had a metal grill in them from what I can remember.

Looks like the ones Shoei or other brands have in their old school open helmets for fixing beak on:

AEFB6A53-B181-4D5C-BA88-BB76E3CF8C7A.webp.d1051f1b0d6d2d1708ed7e24f7794eeb.webp

• Like 2

For Crimbo a couple of years ago I was given a gorgeous metallic sea green 'Hedon' helmet. I was instantly taken with it. And then I wore it. Twice.

What a pain in the arse press stud visors are. 

Want to take your lid off? Easy peasy, unsnap visor so you can remove sunglasses before pulling lid off and when it's time to go good luck trying to press stud the visor back on blind. 

Alternatively wear no sunglasses and squint like mad or you could buy goggles that fit inside the aperture and reduce your field of vision by half.. such fun!

• Like 1

I'm on my 3rd Caberg Tourmax right now, I like them because they have a peak that I can tip my head a little forward to use as a sunshield when riding into low sunshine and the good peripheral vision it provides through the wide visor slot. The peak is also good at up to 3 figure speeds, doesn't try to tear your head off like my off road helmet does.

Before that I had 2 flip front Cabergs, can't recall the model, had them because they were the first lid I saw with an internal sun visor. Had a Bell full face once but only because the training place I was working at did a huge discount on them for instructors (still got a Bell off road that is 20 years old now, kept cos I like the look of it, just realised it's in my signature picture here). Had a couple of Shoeis, I liked those. My first lid was a Kangol, my second as well I think.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

For Crimbo a couple of years ago I was given a gorgeous metallic sea green 'Hedon' helmet. I was instantly taken with it. And then I wore it. Twice.

What a pain in the arse press stud visors are. 

Want to take your lid off? Easy peasy, unsnap visor so you can remove sunglasses before pulling lid off and when it's time to go good luck trying to press stud the visor back on blind. 

Alternatively wear no sunglasses and squint like mad or you could buy goggles that fit inside the aperture and reduce your field of vision by half.. such fun!

I thought they were used for beaks only, like this:

BF3C13FF-CA12-4D7C-B191-459263CAF785.jpeg.99e0b0cd78a2234f25b81d7c141280dc.jpeg

• Like 2