Helmet

Saul

I did promise a daft question or two.. Anyway I have this old BMW System 4 helmet which I believe was made by Schuberth.     The interior is knackered and it needs a new visor.  Is it worth doing or even possible.  I would like to revive it as it was a lovely comfy quiet lid back in the day and I would hate to think how much the new equivalent would cost.   Has anyone done something similar or is this just a batshit idea and the thing needs binning?  

IMG_7815.thumb.jpg.0453b93bdf60772c7b3e67a61165bf70.jpgIMG_7816.thumb.jpg.45ba9c2ef6596c41b890a0a59cb3eb8d.jpg

IMG_7817.jpg

• Like 2

Schuberth make replacement liners and visors but looking at the age of that thing I'd say its unlikely they'd have anything compatible now. 

More importantly its integrity looks very poor and would likely crack like an eggshell under any pressure. Get a new lid. Please.

• Like 1

Fair enough I had a feeling that might be the answer, I have a couple of new lids, I was just loathed to chuck this one away.  Bit of an emotional attachment, but I will bin it.  

• Like 1

I offered it to my boy for his twist and go 125 but he wasn't interested.  🤣   Before you say, yes Dad did buy him a new helmet, decent riding jacket and leggings.  I am still working on him to wear some decent foot. ware.   😉

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Saul said:

I offered it to my boy for his twist and go 125 but he wasn't interested.  🤣   Before you say, yes Dad did buy him a new helmet, decent riding jacket and leggings.  I am still working on him to wear some decent foot. ware.   😉

Do your best to get him to wear decent footware................I have a scar on the side of my foot from riding in lightweight shoes and loosing a battle with a car bumper bar.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Clive said:

Do your best to get him to wear decent footware................I have a scar on the side of my foot from riding in lightweight shoes and loosing a battle with a car bumper bar.

I am working on it, but 18 year olds know everything and believe they are made of teflon.  He has some proper boots but wont wear them.  😠

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Just now, Saul said:

I am working on it, but 18 year olds know everything and believe they are made of teflon.  He has some proper boots but wont wear them.  😠

The young guys seen around here on 125cc bikes/scoot wearing trainers, tracky bottoms and puffer jackets, and no gloves! 😵 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Saul said:

Leggings? What, is he Robin Hood?

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Saul said:

It was never a problem for me, my son never showed any interest in bikes or cars, he is 42 now and has never held a driving licence.

• Like 2

I have a HJC helmet that I bought from J&S, I did look at the date on the label and it was 2 years old when I bought it😵 so it's about 8 years old now, but I rarely wear it and it spends most of the time in a bag in a cupboard, I wear a MT helmet mostly, it's only 3 years old and the lining is looking quite worn....

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Clive said:

I have a HJC helmet that I bought from J&S, I did look at the date on the label and it was 2 years old when I bought it😵 so it's about 8 years old now, but I rarely wear it and it spends most of the time in a bag in a cupboard, I wear a MT helmet mostly, it's only 3 years old and the lining is looking quite worn....

My HJC is 6 years old now......I'll replace it next year!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, XTreme said:

My HJC is 6 years old now......I'll replace it next year!

I think I will have to replace the MT, maybe next spring, 

The HJC looks and smells like new, only problem is the lining is held in by Velcro, which does not hold very well.

• Like 2

I was told in an overly stern tone by an instructor back in CBT land that the polystyrene degrades overtime even if you don't wear it which is why they have a 7 year from manufacture date limit on them. 

I declined to mention I was wearing my mothers 15 year old lid that was giving me a headache because it was two sizes too small 😁

• Haha 4

I have a new Royal Enfield branded full face which is comfy and quiet, I am guessing middle of the road for quality but I like it.   I have a new cheaper open face which is fine but noisy.    I quite fancy a Bell, but I had a Caberg flip back in the day and I liked that.    

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Saul said:

I have a new Royal Enfield branded full face which is comfy and quiet, I am guessing middle of the road for quality but I like it.   I have a new cheaper open face which is fine but noisy.    I quite fancy a Bell, but I had a Caberg flip back in the day and I liked that.    

Caberg flips get good reviews. I tried one and would have bought it then n there but I also tried a heavily discounted Schuberth straight after and then the quality of it got me to open my wallet that wee bit more.

Bell not so much. Not sure what happened to them. Not the fit or the quality you'd expect. But they do look good.

• Like 3