Lockdown People!

XTreme

Agree with a lot of what you say Muddy. There's something doing the rounds alright, poss man made and not taking out as many as they hoped. 

I'm sure the truth will come out but may not be in our life time.

If I can’t ride a bike, that’ll be it. Car. No trikes or scooters for me thanks. Rode a few different scoots as curtesy bikes and hated them. Can’t filter on a trike as its footprint is almost as big as a small car. No, it’ll be a car for me. Or maybe a van. 

15 hours ago, Pedro said:

When the economy starts putting small businesses out of work people start starving a losing homes. I have a few clients very much afraid and not sleeping because of this, because a few of their clients are a few weeks away from being broke, and by broke I mean not having money to eat and pay for anything.

The winter of 1968 I remember well. There were some great songs in the charts, Eloise, Light My Fire, Hey Jude, Those Were the Days, All Along the Watchtower, Sabre Dance. It was a good year for tunes. I have only good memories of that Christmas, certainly there was no dark shadow hanging over it from some kind of crisis happening. But by the following spring a million people worldwide had died from the Hong Kong flu. That's x3 the of the current Covid19 outbreak. Since then the world has changed a lot and all we seem to do is become hysterical over a never ending procession of crises presented before us that we're all meant, on the pain of social exclusion, to take very seriously. What we once took in our stride as part and parcel of life, have now become monumental obstacles to overcome. With increasingly draconian rules and regulations from our government, we meekly comply, without question and without reflection. We've given up any stoicism that was once our national virtue, for a collective neuroticism bordering on insanity. You can't say this or do that, without someone coming along to correct you and pull you back onto the plantation. It's tragic.

On 18 May 2020 at 14:31, XTreme said:

I can only speak about rural Andalucia........and they have a very different mentality to Spaniards in other areas. If something isn't Andaluz......then it's shit! And if it's Catalan then it's shit and somebody should get stabbed, or at the very least, twatted.

On the whole their level of education isn't very high, and they're unable to grasp new ways of doing things. It's like the ways of the past are set in stone. 

What is going on in the outside world goes right over their heads.......I'm sure there's some old people here who don't even know Franco is dead. 

There is a serious degree of laziness with many.......generally if you want something done speak to a woman.

The emphasis on leisure time is top priority......and much of that leisure time will be spent boozing. But with families......not a pub crawl. And unlike Brits they don't get punchy......they're good drunks so to speak.

To say they're laid back is an understatement.......their house could be burning and they'd just shrug and say "no pasa na".......in correct Spanish "no pasa nada".

They're very noisy and gutteral.......which, coming from Swansea, suits me just fine. In fact my level of noisy and gutteral is way above theirs and they actually look up to that! Don't ask! 

Sounds pretty grim doesn't it? But I gotta say that if they like you and accept you there's nothing they won't do for you. And ask for nothing in return.

This sort of environment doesn't suit everybody. But we've been here since 2005, and lived in a lot of places in Britain before that, and I can tell you there's no other place we'd rather be, and no other people we'd want to live with.

And one important thing here! We did not change or try to integrate at all. Reason being that we were temperamentally a perfect fit for Spain in all respects.....in many ways we were more like Spaniards than Brits.

It's like I say to Brits who ask me about moving here.......it's not a matter of whether Spain is right for them. It's more a case of are they right for Spain? And in most cases it's no.

Sounds pretty much the same as here in Murcia. The people are very friendly and if you fit in and make an attempt at a bit of Spanish they appreciate it. Never had a problem with a Spaniard in the six years we've been down here however we do have a problem with one of our British neighbours. What a pair of fucking idiots they've turned out to be! So much so that we haven't spoken for months and walk right past them in the street without any contact...........although I am sorely tempted to punch the fuck out of him; he's just got that kind of face you'd be happy to slap. ?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Skippy said:

Sounds pretty much the same as here in Murcia. The people are very friendly and if you fit in and make an attempt at a bit of Spanish they appreciate it. Never had a problem with a Spaniard in the six years we've been down here however we do have a problem with one of our British neighbours. What a pair of fucking idiots they've turned out to be! So much so that we haven't spoken for months and walk right past them in the street without any contact...........although I am sorely tempted to punch the fuck out of him; he's just got that kind of face you'd be happy to slap. ?

I avoid Brits like the plague Ray......always have. Not that there's many here now!

50 minutes ago, Skippy said:

however we do have a problem with one of our British neighbours. What a pair of fucking idiots they've turned out to be! So much so that we haven't spoken for months and walk right past them in the street without any contact...........although I am sorely tempted to punch the fuck out of him; he's just got that kind of face you'd be happy to slap. ?

Are their names Terry and Lyn by any chance ?  ?

1 hour ago, Skippy said:

What a pair of fucking idiots they've turned out to be! So much so that we haven't spoken for months and walk right past them in the street without any contact...........although I am sorely tempted to punch the fuck out of him; he's just got that kind of face you'd be happy to slap. ?

I don't get why would you get along with another brit just because they're from the same place as you. I'm sure that when you lived in the uk you weren't walking down the road saying hello and being best mates with everyone, so why would you do it there?

Same thing with bikers, I don't get why some people think all bikers are friends and like each other. There are twats using all sorts of vehicles.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I don't get why would you get along with another brit just because they're from the same place as you. I'm sure that when you lived in the uk you weren't walking down the road saying hello and being best mates with everyone, so why would you do it there?

Same thing with bikers, I don't get why some people think all bikers are friends and like each other. There are twats using all sorts of vehicles.

Both those points are some of the wisest words that ever came out of Pedro's mouth! :littleguy:

17 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Word

These people who think Bikers are all "kindred spirits" really get me! 

So I point out that Charles Manson was actually a biker!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, BusBoy said:

In the most part I agree with you with the following caveats

Comparing HK flu to Coronavirus  is like comparing a tension headache to a migraine.

UK deaths to HK flu was circa 30K in two waves. We exceeded that with lockdown

Transmission rates for HK was in the region of 1.1.-1.5 Coronavirus is 3 upwards

1968 population density  was far lower

In 1968 services were such that would have made lockdown almost impossible or pointless. Today we have online shopping and delivery etc

In 1968 the possibility of carrying large multi corporations on with a work at home policy was non existent.  Today despite what you may believe, it's actually business as usual. My own company actually exceeded targets set before all this for both first and second quarter

The whole namby pamby thing I'm onboard with but tbh throwing in comparisons like that sets you on the park bench feeding pigeons and griping with fellow geriatrics about the good old days when we walked 20 miles to school barefoot in the snow. I'm sure you did. I believe back then wife beating etc was considered a misdemeanour and got you a caution for disturbing the peace.  

Nah, it's nowhere near a migraine yet, but the thing is definitely a headache that's not going away. And the lower population density of 1968 coupled with a million deaths, means deaths per 10k were much higher than CV19.

As for your firm and the multi-nationals, good for you. We haven't even scraped the surface of the damage this has wrought on small businesses, the little guy and all those workers who depend on everyday commerce staying open for business. Right back t'puddle.

13 hours ago, XTreme said:

:rofl:

13 hours ago, XTreme said:

and? I don't see the issue.

12 hours ago, Tym said:

Dint charles manson drive a bus up some single track to his hide out? That means Manson was a bus driver too :littleguy:

Then it’s all good, Manson was just misunderstood.

Me and “the family” are having a party this weekend and you are all invited.

Helter Skelter yo!

• Thanks 1

On 19/05/2020 at 18:25, Pedro said:

I agree mate, the thing that kicked it all off was the husband waited until I’d gone out on my bike and then accused my wife of doing something to their postbox. He was pretty nasty apparently so when I came home and found my missus really upset I went a bit mental and threatened to lump him and demanded an apology which him and his missus refused to do. We did our best to just get on with things but he then accused her of pushing things through the garden wall.

That was the final straw and I told him and his missus to fuck off and not bother either of us again. Seems he’s got the message.

4 minutes ago, Skippy said:

I agree mate, the thing that kicked it all off was the husband waited until I’d gone out on my bike and then accused my wife of doing something to their postbox. He was pretty nasty apparently so when I came home and found my missus really upset I went a bit mental and threatened to lump him and demanded an apology which him and his missus refused to do. We did our best to just get on with things but he then accused her of pushing things through the garden wall.

That was the final straw and I told him and his missus to fuck off and not bother either of us again. Seems he’s got the message.

Brits in Spain Ray! Generally they're a fucking embarrassment! Very few here.......but I steer well clear.

Totally out of their depth, always moaning, always backstabbing, always making up stories, or shafting other Brits (cos they don't have the language ability to shaft Spaniards) and unable to leave their over-entitled Brit mentality at the airport.

They'll tell you they were a captain of industry back in Britain......a real big player. Served in the Army, Navy, and RAF simultaneously! Now they're relegated to trying to flog useless crap they scavenged at the rubbish tip at Brit car boot sales.

23 hours ago, XTreme said:

Brits in Spain Ray! Generally they're a fucking embarrassment! Very few here.......but I steer well clear.

Totally out of their depth, always moaning, always backstabbing, always making up stories, or shafting other Brits (cos they don't have the language ability to shaft Spaniards) and unable to leave their over-entitled Brit mentality at the airport.

They'll tell you they were a captain of industry back in Britain......a real big player. Served in the Army, Navy, and RAF simultaneously! Now they're relegated to trying to flog useless crap they scavenged at the rubbish tip at Brit car boot sales.

Yep, that about sums it up.

6 minutes ago, Skippy said:

Pretty much mate, it’s about ten mins to the beach from our house 

You get them all then Ray.

We don't get many Brits coming to this region......bit too bleak and harsh for them.

And out of those who do come here most tend not to last that long.

https://www.elespanol.com/reportajes/grandes-historias/20170519/217228671_0.html