Riding about as an emmet in Devon

yen_powell

26 minutes ago, Pedro said:

And also: engraving tombstones was hard work, everyone took three paragraphs!

You got your money's worth in the old days. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

Those are my grand daughters. Known to me inside my head as GD1 and GD2 because their real names are too embarrassing. When GD1 ran ahead near the edge of the harbour I hesitated before calling out her name aloud.

Now I really want to know, spill the beans!

11 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

That's to keep all the lazy chavs out i'd live there  :littleguy:

Bang on Fred 👍

I love Clovelly , it’s like going back in time.

Walking back up the hill nearly did me in though 😬

• Like 2

12 hours ago, yen_powell said:

Those are my grand daughters. Known to me inside my head as GD1 and GD2 because their real names are too embarrassing. When GD1 ran ahead near the edge of the harbour I hesitated before calling out her name aloud.

Now I'm REALLY curious

I used to know a Ray Ling many years ago. I had a friend called Aelwood who wouldn't tell me his middle name (I guessed it eventually, it was Desmond). A friend's other half's first name is Woods, he's a Canadian orphan so not sure how he ended up with that. 'Dead' Ted, my late contractor supervisor's real first name was Enda, I found this out when appealing all his parking tickets.

2 hours ago, yen_powell said:

I used to know a Ray Ling many years ago. I had a friend called Aelwood who wouldn't tell me his middle name (I guessed it eventually, it was Desmond). A friend's other half's first name is Woods, he's a Canadian orphan so not sure how he ended up with that. 'Dead' Ted, my late contractor supervisor's real first name was Enda, I found this out when appealing all his parking tickets.

You're a rare fish for so many reasons. That single paragraph encapsulating a lot of why 😆

But Im still left wondering how the hell you guessed that middle name?!

8 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Im pretty sure from your description of previous girlfriends you have more experience off rotting fish than most..

Oh My God Reaction GIF by CBC

Exactly! I'd know that smell anywhere!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

But Im still left wondering how the hell you guessed that middle name?!

After my incessant badgering got no results I asked him what the first letter was and he told me 'D'. I knew it couldn't be any usual name like David or Derek or he wouldn't be worried, hit the right one in a few guesses. Had a similar thing with a bloke at work called Steven Tebbett, he wouldn't reveal his middle name either but fell for the 'what is the first letter' ploy. His answer was L. Got that one as I had heard his parents were a bit bible crazy. Have a go and see if you can work that one out.

Just now, yen_powell said:

After my incessant badgering got no results I asked him what the first letter was and he told me 'D'. I knew it couldn't be any usual name like David or Derek or he wouldn't be worried, hit the right one in a few guesses. Had a similar thing with a bloke at work called Steven Tebbett, he wouldn't reveal his middle name either but fell for the 'what is the first letter' ploy. His answer was L. Got that one as I had heard his parents were a bit bible crazy. Have a go and see if you can work that one out.

Leslie

28 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

Umm Im a bit afloat on this one cos in-spite of attending not one but two religious schools the only name that stuck out was Lazarus. 

and that would be a nuts thing to call a kid?!

Just now, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Umm Im a bit afloat on this one cos in-spite of attending not one but two religious schools the only name that stuck out was Lazarus. 

and that would be a nuts thing to call a kid?!

You're on the right track, it is a biblical name and you have probably got the other L name there.