Time for the weekend!

Tym

22 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I know where your coming from @Clive all my younger life I've just done what i wanted but after working in the waste water industry and having to do confined space training its made me think why am i still alive 

I always remember this case from when I did my last Confined Space Course. It's from 2007.

"In its report on the Viking Islay incident, which took place on the Amethyst gas field, 25 miles off the East Yorkshire coast, MIAB noted that the ERRV was conducting rig support operations when two seamen went forward with the intention of securing a rattling anchor chain within the chain locker. One of the seamen entered the chain locker and collapsed. It is probable that the other seaman, realising that help was urgently required, raised the alarm with the duty watchkeeping rating on the bridge before he, too, entered the chain locker in an attempt to help his companion. He also collapsed.

During subsequent rescue efforts, the first rescuer found he was unable to enter the chain locker wearing breathing apparatus, and he therefore donned an EEBD. He entered the space, but at some point the hood was removed, or became dislodged, and this rating also collapsed. All three seamen died as a result of an oxygen deficient atmosphere within the chain locker."

There were plenty of other similar examples.

All very sad and unnecessary.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

14 minutes ago, Specs said:

I always remember this case from when I did my last Confined Space Course. It's from 2007.

"In its report on the Viking Islay incident, which took place on the Amethyst gas field, 25 miles off the East Yorkshire coast, MIAB noted that the ERRV was conducting rig support operations when two seamen went forward with the intention of securing a rattling anchor chain within the chain locker. One of the seamen entered the chain locker and collapsed. It is probable that the other seaman, realising that help was urgently required, raised the alarm with the duty watchkeeping rating on the bridge before he, too, entered the chain locker in an attempt to help his companion. He also collapsed.

During subsequent rescue efforts, the first rescuer found he was unable to enter the chain locker wearing breathing apparatus, and he therefore donned an EEBD. He entered the space, but at some point the hood was removed, or became dislodged, and this rating also collapsed. All three seamen died as a result of an oxygen deficient atmosphere within the chain locker."

There were plenty of other similar examples.

All very sad and unnecessary.

Didn't they know they were supposed to wear protective gear Alan?

1 hour ago, XTreme said:

I've had similar stories told me on the courses I've done where people have entered a steel tank and died due to the tank rusting, A lot of people don't realise the danger with rust in enclosed spaces it uses up the oxygen creating an oxygen deficient atmosphere, Another one is we are not allowed to use aluminium ladders anywhere an explosive atmosphere may be present because if you bang aluminium against a rusty object you can create a spark and ignite the atmosphere

• Like 2

1 hour ago, XTreme said:

It’s the same story repeated time after time. They think that they’ll be ok for a short while. The third guy was probably not thinking straight due to shock. 
First mistake was with the first guy who should have tested the atmosphere. 
We always tested before going into  chain lockers and any space where there might be rust, such as ballast tanks. Had to ventilate for twenty four hours before entry if I remember correctly. 
protective gear used if there was chance of getting contaminated, oils or sulphur for example. Breathing apparatus or dust masks as required. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Six30 said:

not a fan of tennis , but just watched the grand slam , brilliant... well done the Emma ..... unlucky yank

uuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmm  , I think her opponent was Canadian actually

aja-jim-carrey.gif.6f66558ca39fbca12545ebf579481335.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, XTreme said:

I can't see many of us here fitting through those ducts Fred!

We'd all end up stuck in them and then getting arrested by the KGB for spying!

No KGB anymore. FSB now.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Six30 said:

not a fan of tennis , but just watched the grand slam , brilliant... well done the Emma ..... unlucky yank

Same here but I think that the yank was a Canuk.

• Haha 2

Just now, XTreme said:

I thought your nephew had only just bought it?

Yeh , he bought it to get running and do up , wanted a little project .

he can only ride 125 on the road only got a CBT … 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1