Spitalfield Life website

yen_powell

Uncle Harry came back from the Boer War when he was not allowed to sleep with the other boys. For reasons left unexplained, he was banished to the front room and told he had better get married sharpish – which he did.

Another cracker. Mile End Place is still there, I know it well. In the late 80s I had to a street light scout in the area every 2 weeks and I learnt early on to park in Mile End Road and walk in, because if the lights were out you couldn't see to turn the car around without taking out a garden wall. Spin round to see the covered entrance. https://goo.gl/maps/ZX54kF36Nw66iMgcA

https://spitalfieldslife.com/2022/09/22/at-mile-end-place-x/

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

Uncle Harry came back from the Boer War when he was not allowed to sleep with the other boys. For reasons left unexplained, he was banished to the front room and told he had better get married sharpish – which he did.

Another cracker. Mile End Place is still there, I know it well. In the late 80s I had to a street light scout in the area every 2 weeks and I learnt early on to park in Mile End Road and walk in, because if the lights were out you couldn't see to turn the car around without taking out a garden wall. Spin round to see the covered entrance. https://goo.gl/maps/ZX54kF36Nw66iMgcA

https://spitalfieldslife.com/2022/09/22/at-mile-end-place-x/

Some weird fuckers in these Cockney ghettos Yen!

1 hour ago, XTreme said:

Some weird fuckers in these Cockney ghettos Yen!

I know, it's fascinating hearing other peoples' stories, not often they get written down.

I had a meeting with residents in Mile End Place many years ago, something to do with traffic calming I think. The wall at the end of the street is part of the boundary wall of a very old Jewish cemetery. In use from 1697 to 1852.

I was told that the descendants of the buried visit from all over the world and whilst trying to find the entrance they sometimes end up in Mile End Place, the real very small gate is 3 streets away. He said they sometimes run up and down praying due to some sort of time contraint, not sure if that is true or not. My then boss said what the street needed was Jew calming rather than traffic calming. This is the same boss who attended a meeting with the Buddhists and the owners of a vegetarian restaurant whilst eating a bacon roll.

• Haha 3

https://spitalfieldslife.com/2022/09/29/the-return-of-sue-hadley/

I will try and see if I can find the staircase in the first picture, it'll have a security lock on the door nowadays, but there are a few tricks to getting past vthos I know from years of carrying out letter drops.

A name is mentioned in the text, Angela Burdett Coutts, she seems to have been a one lady charity phenomenon, there are so many things connected with her all over the borough. Coutts is the royal family's personal bank. I don't think they do cash machines though.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

https://spitalfieldslife.com/2022/09/29/the-return-of-sue-hadley/

I will try and see if I can find the staircase in the first picture, it'll have a security lock on the door nowadays, but there are a few tricks to getting past vthos I know from years of carrying out letter drops.

A name is mentioned in the text, Angela Burdett Coutts, she seems to have been a one lady charity phenomenon, there are so many things connected with her all over the borough. Coutts is the royal family's personal bank. I don't think they do cash machines though.

Selling donkeys in the market? :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Selling donkeys in the market? :classic_laugh:

Before my time, but you always hear people talking about the old animal market, I gather it got shut down due to all the cruelty.

Google throws this up, it doesn't sound pleasant, boot polish top cover up sores etc.

https://www.eastendreview.co.uk/2014/06/09/club-row-market/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yen_powell said:

Before my time, but you always hear people talking about the old animal market, I gather it got shut down due to all the cruelty.

Google throws this up, it doesn't sound pleasant, boot polish top cover up sores etc.

https://www.eastendreview.co.uk/2014/06/09/club-row-market/

Monkeys and lion cubs? :classic_unsure:

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, XTreme said:

Amazing guy Yen.......can't be many of these old characters left now!

I'll bet they are all around you, they just don't talk about what they've done in their lives unless asked directly or something happens to make them speak about it. The quiet man collecting glasses in the local pub could be a Spanish civil war hero or villain.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

Good one today, stored bodies from crypt of Christ Church (plus gold false teeth)

https://spitalfieldslife.com/2022/10/17/dr-margaret-clegg-keeper-of-human-remains-x/

They exhumed nearly a thousand bodies and then analysed them? They must have fucking stunk!

Bet you're gutted you didn't get that gig Yen?

you stink elaine benes GIF by HULU

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Because we nearly let the gas board dig some more stiffs up very close to the same location we all had to have a lesson from the museum of London on why the bodies were so important and why we could go to prison if we fuck up again.

The grave yard around the old monastery  and Christ Church (St Katherine's Hospital, hence 'Spitalfield name nowadays) contains people over a very long time period, but more importantly the very poor corpses all the way up to the very rich corpses, so analysis can teach a lot more about life in the past than just looking at one particular group of people.

The ones still to be looked at are under a large protective concrete slab, so that in the future when even better methods of analysis are available they can be exhumed and studied in even more detail.

• Like 3

Bit of teacher violence. My junior school head teacher was an utter arsehole, once saw him punch the boy next to me in the stomach during morning assembly for not singing loudly enough. My singing volume increased dramatically in that very instant so maybe he was a good teacher after all.....He also had the habit of picking his nose and flicking the result. If you mention his name on FB pages with ex pupils they all mention that without prompting so he must have always done it.

https://spitalfieldslife.com/2022/10/18/the-mind-keeps-the-score/

• Haha 2

My geography teacher threw the board rubber at me once, it whistled past me ear at a rate of knots.

I braved it out and told him he was a crap shot, I got a slap around the head in the way out of class 😳

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, boboneleg said:

My geography teacher threw the board rubber at me once, it whistled past me ear at a rate of knots.

I braved it out and told him he was a crap shot, I got a slap around the head in the way out of class 😳

The flying blackboard rubber was a common thing, but only in senior school for me. It's quite a lump of wood if it catches you right, I only ever saw it bounce of walls though, never saw anyone brained. Chalk was more often the missile of choice as the teachers knew there was less chance of getting the sack if it struck any one.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

The flying blackboard rubber was a common thing, but only in senior school for me. It's quite a lump of wood if it catches you right, I only ever saw it bounce of walls though, never saw anyone brained. Chalk was more often the missile of choice as the teachers knew there was less chance of getting the sack if it struck any one.

There were a lot of kids with a swollen forehead after geography in my 6th grade, after getting hit with one of these

image.png.6141be84d278ce266cf0c490a44c299a.png

Those older ones had the black foam bit very much squished so the change of it absorbing an impact was very low, too. That guy used to kick guys in the shins when he caught then copying on exams, when they cried he'd reply "you can go and complain and get a zero for copying, or shut up" He was a cool guy though.

• Haha 5

47 minutes ago, Pedro said:

There were a lot of kids with a swollen forehead after geography in my 6th grade, after getting hit with one of these

image.png.6141be84d278ce266cf0c490a44c299a.png

Those older ones had the black foam bit very much squished so the change of it absorbing an impact was very low, too. That guy used to kick guys in the shins when he caught then copying on exams, when they cried he'd reply "you can go and complain and get a zero for copying, or shut up" He was a cool guy though.

Ours looked like this, hardwood I think, very solid, none of your girly pine.

image.png.2e04f2aa663ec4f6a502ba0ae3d179e7.png

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, yen_powell said:

Ours looked like this, hardwood I think, very solid, none of your girly pine.

image.png.2e04f2aa663ec4f6a502ba0ae3d179e7.png

Shit, that’s the one, I was wondering something looked wrong in my one i found in google :classic_laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1