Camera help. Can anyone help point a completely clueless person in the right direction?

My photos are crap. Skill and talent aside for a moment I think a lot of them fail because can’t zoom in on the thing I want to photograph well enough using a camera phone and I cant focus the photo on the thing I want to be prominent in the picture when it’s distant view. So a camera is probably in order. I’m not adverse to spending a bit on it but don’t want to fret excessively when I’m dangling it over the side of a bridge cos it cost x amount. Any pointers or suggestions? I really have no idea and there are so many choices. Heeeeeeeelp 🙏 

Edit: I don’t think a compact camera is going to give me the zoom Id like. So long as it fits in a tank bag the size of it doesn’t matter too much. 

33 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

My photos are crap. Skill and talent aside for a moment I think a lot of them fail because can’t zoom in on the thing I want to photograph well enough using a camera phone and I cant focus the photo on the thing I want to be prominent in the picture when it’s distant view. So a camera is probably in order. I’d like something smallish so it’s easy to carry on the bike and I’m not adverse to spending a bit on it but don’t want to fret excessively when I’m dangling it over the side of a bridge cos it cost x amount. Any pointers or suggestions? I really have no idea and there are so many choices. Heeeeeeeelp 🙏 

I'd say @Grasshopper's Ride is the best person for this.

But I've seen a lot of recommendations for the Sony Cyber-shot WX350......they're about €170 here.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Tym said:

I liked the nikon i got in 20o3, havnt liked any camera i've had since. Close your eyes pick a price. 🤓

Yep I think I’ve narrowed down based the filthy lucre but I’ll wait until @Grasshopper's Ride appears to tell me a bridge camera is just the thing or it’s the dumbest thing! 👍

44 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

@XTreme I discovered you can alter your uploaded images on the forum by double tapping the picture and the resize image option appears 👍
37D0B8BF-BE93-419A-B881-90AACDAA3863.thumb.jpeg.75eedef381341a9c98ae3b369b82ba39.jpeg

1144995219_WhatsAppImage2020-09-27at13_07_12.thumb.jpeg.d9b7c4d6a9e7aec1cfc754982897b3fa.jpeg

Bloody hell.....you're right! I never knew that! :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

if you're looking specifically at zoom capacities, most codern cameras ( especially compacts but some Bridge models as well) have a mechanical zoom and also a digital zoom, for good quality you want as much mechanical zoom as possible rather than digital zoom, which deteriorates detail quality. That's what I was told by  a professional when I was looking at compact cameras. Other than that I am clueless 😅

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, MooN said:

if you're looking specifically at zoom capacities, most codern cameras ( especially compacts but some Bridge models as well) have a mechanical zoom and also a digital zoom, for good quality you want as much mechanical zoom as possible rather than digital zoom, which deteriorates detail quality. That's what I was told by  a professional when I was looking at compact cameras. Other than that I am clueless 😅

Thanks Moon. I figured the mechanical zoom must be the important part and thats what led me to the bridge camera. Gonna take some effort on my part to learn how to use it but I’m up for it so fingers crossed 🤞

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

My photos are crap. Skill and talent aside for a moment I think a lot of them fail because can’t zoom in on the thing I want to photograph well enough using a camera phone and I cant focus the photo on the thing I want to be prominent in the picture when it’s distant view. So a camera is probably in order. I’m not adverse to spending a bit on it but don’t want to fret excessively when I’m dangling it over the side of a bridge cos it cost x amount. Any pointers or suggestions? I really have no idea and there are so many choices. Heeeeeeeelp 🙏 

Edit: I don’t think a compact camera is going to give me the zoom Id like. So long as it fits in a tank bag the size of it doesn’t matter too much. 

Of course budget is important, but a photographer friend once told me, it is also how a camera feels in your hands.  If you don't feel comfortable with it when you pick it up that is not a good start.  

You had mentioned a bridge camera, a good place to start.  They are always very friendly to use and will get you started.

If you find you are looking at a bridge camera on the higher price end, then also look at entry level DSLR's and mirrorless cameras.  Those will give you the option to use multiple lens down the road.  Maybe you want a larger zoom lens or a macro lens later on. 

The mirrorless cameras are really nice for travelling.  They are light and fun to use.  Most also record a nice quality video as well.

The cameras these days are easy to learn and have many modes to help you in different conditions.  Have fun and let us know what you decide on. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Thanks Moon. I figured the mechanical zoom must be the important part and thats what led me to the bridge camera. Gonna take some effort on my part to learn how to use it but I’m up for it so fingers crossed 🤞

They also refer t it as optical zoom. I have a digital camera i bought many years ago its pretty good but not having the patience to use it properly i just had it set on point and shoot then phone cameras got better and that's all i use now. Was looking to get a new camera as the picture quality has jumped miles since the one i got. But i could get some good photos when i took the time to set it up better than the phone especially with the zoom it has. The phone doesn't capture the light as good as a camera
These are a few photos i took while messing about with it, not the best but much better than the phone. Christ I've had o go back to 2008 haven't used it in a while :classic_laugh:

IMG_2567.thumb.JPG.12391a754f7bffd616fa33ed5a5b8ea5.JPG

IMG_1267.thumb.JPG.fe6c749db445b2f9c317b75bc53f2579.JPG

IMG_1304.thumb.JPG.b2cd8bdd2d5e27c19bf6b40919ddb3a8.JPG

And this is the advantage of the zoom 10x on this one

IMG_2114.thumb.JPG.76f1033372de6d4ae6bae5b14d8d5c07.JPG

This castle is in the trees in the above photo

IMG_2115.thumb.JPG.b857329e7d76dee346c4919ff5cc8b90.JPG

IMG_6242.jpg.6e4057fc5c81428778fb2762615b228d.jpg

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Grasshopper's Ride said:

Of course budget is important, but a photographer friend once told me, it is also how a camera feels in your hands.  If you don't feel comfortable with it when you pick it up that is not a good start.  

You had mentioned a bridge camera, a good place to start.  They are always very friendly to use and will get you started.

If you find you are looking at a bridge camera on the higher price end, then also look at entry level DSLR's and mirrorless cameras.  Those will give you the option to use multiple lens down the road.  Maybe you want a larger zoom lens or a macro lens later on. 

The mirrorless cameras are really nice for travelling.  They are light and fun to use.  Most also record a nice quality video as well.

The cameras these days are easy to learn and have many modes to help you in different conditions.  Have fun and let us know what you decide on. 🙂

Great stuff, thanks 🤩 I’ll have a gander at the entry level DSLR’s and mirrorless options as well 👍

At some point in the future I may even post a pic I’m happy with 😂

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

They also refer t it as optical zoom. I have a digital camera i bought many years ago its pretty good but not having the patience to use it properly i just had it set on point and shoot then phone cameras got better and that's all i use now. Was looking to get a new camera as the picture quality has jumped miles since the one i got. But i could get some good photos when i took the time to set it up better than the phone especially with the zoom it has. The phone doesn't capture the light as good as a camera
These are a few photos i took while messing about with it, not the best but much better than the phone. Christ I've had o go back to 2008 haven't used it in a while :classic_laugh:

IMG_2567.thumb.JPG.12391a754f7bffd616fa33ed5a5b8ea5.JPG

IMG_1267.thumb.JPG.fe6c749db445b2f9c317b75bc53f2579.JPG

IMG_1304.thumb.JPG.b2cd8bdd2d5e27c19bf6b40919ddb3a8.JPG

And this is the advantage of the zoom 10x on this one

IMG_2114.thumb.JPG.76f1033372de6d4ae6bae5b14d8d5c07.JPG

This castle is in the trees in the above photo

IMG_2115.thumb.JPG.b857329e7d76dee346c4919ff5cc8b90.JPG

IMG_6242.jpg.6e4057fc5c81428778fb2762615b228d.jpg

Yer you definitely need to break that camera out of hibernation, great pics 👍

15 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Yer you definitely need to break that camera out of hibernation, great pics 👍

Been looking at new ones like yourself, but cant justify buying one as the phone is so easy to use. Plus they are a pain to carry on the trail bike 

• Like 1

thanks @Sir Fallsalot I meant OPTICAL zoom, not mechanical, but I just couldn't think of the word for it. Brain dead having started back to work today after another 4 week furlough ( that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! )

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Been looking at new ones like yourself, but cant justify buying one as the phone is so easy to use. Plus they are a pain to carry on the trail bike 

Yes looking at cameras has led to the looking at tank bags which I dont like but if its not easy to carry and easily accessible I’ll soon go off the idea and itll get relegated to the ‘useful if you can be bothered pile’ 😂

• Like 1