New Wheels

Tango

It's been a while since I was last on here. Mainly because being bikeless on a motorbike forum was too painful! ? But that situation has now been sorted. Just need the travel restrictions here to get lifted and I can now get back out on 2 wheels!

A bit less hooligan than my last bike, but maybe that's a good thing! ?

1619380865371.jpg

• Like 9

29 minutes ago, Tango said:

It's been a while since I was last on here. Mainly because being bikeless on a motorbike forum was too painful! ? But that situation has now been sorted. Just need the travel restrictions here to get lifted and I can now get back out on 2 wheels!

A bit less hooligan than my last bike, but maybe that's a good thing! ?

1619380865371.jpg

Good choice Bob......they're a great bike by all accounts! Is it brand new?

What you need now is the handguards and body bars!

1 hour ago, XTreme said:

Good choice Bob......they're a great bike by all accounts! Is it brand new?

What you need now is the handguards and body bars!

Cheers mate. Yeah, straight out of the showroom....my first brand new bike since my RD350B in August 1976! Thought I'd treat myself.....also Nice to have the reassurance of 5 years warranty and breakdown cover. Engine bars and brush guards are on the shopping list.....just need to find out which ones are the best. ?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tym said:

Are those blood stains on the wall?  :classic_unsure:

Possibly......I've not showered since I've been here, just in case! ??

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Tango said:

Engine bars and brush guards are on the shopping list.....

Heed for bars!

Stronger, better quality, and cheaper than the likes of Givi etc.

I bought through THESE!

5 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Heed for bars!

Stronger, better quality, and cheaper than the likes of Givi etc.

I bought through THESE!

Cheers, Pete. How did they fit? Reviews of the bars that I've looked at so far  all seem to criticise the fit. The Givi ones can result in increased engine vibration because they use the original bolts, that aren't long enough for increased spacing caused by the bars, which can result in the bolts shearing off and then needing drilling out of the engine casing! Not something that I want to risk with a new bike!

• Like 1

nice looking machine Tango, I might have fallen for one of those had a good 2nd hand one been available when I needed. I'd like to hear how you get on with it once you can start riding any sort of distance again.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MooN said:

nice looking machine Tango, I might have fallen for one of those had a good 2nd hand one been available when I needed. I'd like to hear how you get on with it once you can start riding any sort of distance again.

Yes, I'll do a review once I put some KMs on it. TBH the difference in prices between used and new was generally so small that I thought I'd go for new and have the 5 year warranty and breakdown cover. 

27 minutes ago, Catteeclan said:

Looks very nice in white. :littleguy:

It's a nice pearlescent white too.....looks really good in the sun....?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Tango said:

Cheers, Pete. How did they fit? Reviews of the bars that I've looked at so far  all seem to criticise the fit. The Givi ones can result in increased engine vibration because they use the original bolts, that aren't long enough for increased spacing caused by the bars, which can result in the bolts shearing off and then needing drilling out of the engine casing! Not something that I want to risk with a new bike!

Perfect fit Bob! See here:

• Like 1

Congratulations on the new wheels, bet it’s all the sweeter for having none for a while. 
For my know nothing tuppence worth  on the engine bars when I got my first set I went to the dealers and cos the mechanics there see all of the various types folk have unwittingly bought and they have quite firm opinions on which ones work best. The ones I’d picked out were very well reviewed but they said “yeh they are good but the paint flakes, not straight away it takes a good while but they get tatty long before they should.”  They then ordered up the ones they said worked and looked the best. So the point I’m painfully wobbling towards is- I’d ask the mechanics at the Honda dealers what they think.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Congratulations on the new wheels, bet it’s all the sweeter for having none for a while. 
For my know nothing tuppence worth  on the engine bars when I got my first set I went to the dealers and cos the mechanics there see all of the various types folk have unwittingly bought and they have quite firm opinions on which ones work best. The ones I’d picked out were very well reviewed but they said “yeh they are good but the paint flakes, not straight away it takes a good while but they get tatty long before they should.”  They then ordered up the ones they said worked and looked the best. So the point I’m painfully wobbling towards is- I’d ask the mechanics at the Honda dealers what they think.

Yes, definitely good to have 2 wheels at my disposal again. 

Yeah, I see what you're saying. Only trouble is that the dealer would probably point me in the direction of the Honda ones......which are considerably more expensive than any of the others and they're rarely mentioned in the owners forums. But I guess that they'd fit ok. ?

• Like 1

Just now, Tango said:

Yes, definitely good to have 2 wheels at my disposal again. 

Yeah, I see what you're saying. Only trouble is that the dealer would probably point me in the direction of the Honda ones......which are considerably more expensive than any of the others and they're rarely mentioned in the owners forums. But I guess that they'd fit ok. ?

They steered me away from the BMW ones cos they didn’t rate them as much so it’s worth avoiding the showroom and popping your head round the garage door to see if a mechanic has a cheaper solution. Mechanics don’t seem to suffer brand loyalty, they appear to just like the stuff that works the best. On the other hand you’ve just spent thousands on your new toy and if the Honda ones are best then apart from the obvious why skimp? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

They steered me away from the BMW ones cos they didn’t rate them as much so it’s worth avoiding the showroom and popping your head round the garage door to see if a mechanic has a cheaper solution. Mechanics don’t seem to suffer brand loyalty, they appear to just like the stuff that works the best. On the other hand you’ve just spent thousands on your new toy and if the Honda ones are best then apart from the obvious why skimp? 

Good points.

I guess that the Honda ones not featuring in the owners forums is not an encouraging sign?

I would speak with the mechanics at the dealers, but they all talk funny here! ??

• Haha 1

Just now, Tango said:

Good points.

I guess that the Honda ones not featuring in the owners forums is not an encouraging sign?

I would speak with the mechanics at the dealers, but they all talk funny here! ??

Oh yeah just noticed your location, I now don’t care if they rust and crumple like tin foil you jammy git!

What turned your head towards the CB500X?

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Oh yeah just noticed your location, I now don’t care if they rust and crumple like tin foil you jammy git!

What turned your head towards the CB500X?

Lol ?

I guess that I wanted something a bit "adventure" and less "hooligan" than the Speedy. The CB500X seems to be fairly popular and at the price including 5 years warranty and breakdown cover it ticked most of the boxes. Like Xtreme, there's a good number of dirt tracks and fire break roads around, so something with a bit of mild offroad capability seems like a good idea. ?

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Grasshopper's Ride said:

Congrats on the new wheels @Tango ?

Always a fun time when a new bike arrives.

I recently purchased a CB500F, so we share the same base engine, and I have enjoyed owing a Honda again.

Enjoy and happy riding! 

Thanks. I'm looking forwards to getting to know it, but that engine seems to be pretty good from what I've read. I've owned various Triumphs for many years now, so this will ring the changes. ?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Six30 said:

fook me even the mods from other place are jumping ship ....

nice bike though @Tango

Lol. Shhhh....don't tell Xtreme, but I'm on there too. ???

Thanks, Six....looking forwards to getting out on it soon. ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tango said:

Lol. Shhhh....don't tell Xtreme, but I'm on there too.

I'm not the one who has the issues with people posting on other forums though Bob! :classic_laugh:

I think everybody on here uses other forums as well as this one! 

4 minutes ago, XTreme said:

I'm not the one who has the issues with people posting on other forums though Bob! :classic_laugh:

I think everybody on here uses other forums as well as this one! 

Yep....we're all tarts! ???

• Like 1