The Ladies at The Ring!

So long as we are free to travel in September I’ll be going to Nürburgring then ?

I wont be going racing my bike round the track though, I used to have a little speed problem and know I couldn’t trust myself in that environment not to add to their annual death toll! ?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

So long as we are free to travel in September I’ll be going to Nürburgring then ?

I wont be going racing my bike round the track though, I used to have a little speed problem and know I couldn’t trust myself in that environment not to add to their annual death toll! ?

Actually not many people die there, its Youtube crash videos to get audience that make it seem like a carnage. To be honest, it is surprising how little happens if you consider the factors involved! 

It is mega good on a bike, I prefer it to a car.  When I went the first time I was handy with speed and loved it! Then living there, and with someone that was  fast and experienced, but was always putting fear in me, I didnt ride it anymore... Only did the Motorrad course that I really enjoyed, 3 days of riding with instructors and doing all sort of things to learn the track and to ride better on and of track.

Really, go do it, its a great experience!! 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sofia said:

Only did the Motorrad course that I really enjoyed, 3 days of riding with instructors and doing all sort of things to learn the track and to ride better on and of track.

Sounds like a great experience. I would love to do something like that.  Maybe one day I will make it over there. ?

• Like 2

Actually not many people die there, its Youtube crash videos to get audience that make it seem like a carnage. To be honest, it is surprising how little happens if you consider the factors involved! 

It is mega good on a bike, I prefer it to a car.  When I went the first time I was handy with speed and loved it! Then living there, and with someone that was  fast and experienced, but was always putting fear in me, I didnt ride it anymore... Only did the Motorrad course that I really enjoyed, 3 days of riding with instructors and doing all sort of things to learn the track and to ride better on and of track.

They dont know how many people have died there because they won’t keep records (or if they do they wont make them public).

”According to Heiko Schmitz of the Adenauer Police, there were 81 accidents last year involving tourists who were racing around the Nürburgring. Two people died, 18 were seriously injured and 43 suffered minor injuries.”

I think normal people can do it. I’m not normal when it comes to speed. Its one of the reasons I had to wait to get a motorbike, when I get up to a certain speed, say roughly over 100mph a small demon takes over, any sense goes out of the window and the adrenaline leads my demented brain to think I’m invincible.... splat ?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Grasshopper's Ride said:

Sounds like a great experience. I would love to do something like that.  Maybe one day I will make it over there. ?

do it

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

They dont know how many people have died there because they won’t keep records (or if they do they wont make them public).

”According to Heiko Schmitz of the Adenauer Police, there were 81 accidents last year involving tourists who were racing around the Nürburgring. Two people died, 18 were seriously injured and 43 suffered minor injuries.”

I think normal people can do it. I’m not normal when it comes to speed. Its one of the reasons I had to wait to get a motorbike, when I get up to a certain speed, say roughly over 100mph a small demon takes over, any sense goes out of the window and the adrenaline leads my demented brain to think I’m invincible.... splat ?

I don't know numbers specifically, but the 10 years I lived there, 2 or 3 people died per year, max. Its a very small place, when something tragic happens, everyone knows immediately. Also because it affected the work, everything had to stop when there was a fatality. 

Serious injury happens every weekend.  Minor injury is every day!! Above all the ego!! @Pedro is great at bruising egos, because he passes 500 BHP cars with his Compact and that, I guarantee, is a very bad injury! I could seat here recounting endless stories of the Ring, its a special place indeed! 

100mph is very doable at the Ring, in places, and for sure you will manage it, but the thrill is more in mastering the slow corners and getting the lines right, connecting the corners in a magical flow. It is very technical and demanding, but super rewarding.

I miss it, inevitably, being a petrol head, and I am enormously grateful for the experiences I had there. Do not be put off by what is said about it and the videos of accidents. Of course we go for a lap NEVER knowing how we will come out, that is one of the attractions, and again "Whats the point in living if we don't feel alive!"

• Like 1

I don't know numbers specifically, but the 10 years I lived there, 2 or 3 people died per year, max. Its a very small place, when something tragic happens, everyone knows immediately. Also because it affected the work, everything had to stop when there was a fatality. 

Serious injury happens every weekend.  Minor injury is every day!! Above all the ego!! @Pedro is great at bruising egos, because he passes 500 BHP cars with his Compact and that, I guarantee, is a very bad injury! I could seat here recounting endless stories of the Ring, its a special place indeed! 

100mph is very doable at the Ring, in places, and for sure you will manage it, but the thrill is more in mastering the slow corners and getting the lines right, connecting the corners in a magical flow. It is very technical and demanding, but super rewarding.

I miss it, inevitably, being a petrol head, and I am enormously grateful for the experiences I had there. Do not be put off by what is said about it and the videos of accidents. Of course we go for a lap NEVER knowing how we will come out, that is one of the attractions, and again "Whats the point in living if we don't feel alive!"

Very nicely written Sofia. Your enthusiasm is infectious. I am looking forward to going immensely. Not least of all because this lockdown business and the lack of freedom has been so incredibly boring. 

I understand the roads in Germany are gloriously smooth and well cared for, its supposed a great place for biking? Ill be staying in Eiffel and going to different places each day ? 

I understand mostly the speed limits are similar to the UK?

1 minute ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Very nicely written Sofia. Your enthusiasm is infectious. I am looking forward to going immensely. Not least of all because this lockdown business and the lack of freedom has been so incredibly boring. 

I understand the roads in Germany are gloriously smooth and well cared for, its supposed a great place for biking? Ill be staying in Eiffel and going to different places each day ? 

I understand mostly the speed limits are similar to the UK?

Germany roads are amazing. The tarmac, but also all the signaling and the marking of the road. Above all Germans are very good drivers, fast, no messing, incredibly respectful of the speed limit in villages and road works, NEVER speed in those, but outside they just go!! And they really drive well. Now, the Eifel is a farming region, hence populated by really old folk that drive slower vehicles, so, and only when you encounter them, occasionally there is the odd surprise, which keeps you on your toes!! 

The Eifel is the poor man black forest ( one of the poorest parts of Germany). Stunningly beautiful and very quiet. The Ring is like a different Universe in the middle of it!! There is a lot to see apart from the track, lovely villages, castles and the 2 big rivers, Rhine and Mosel. Its a good choice to holiday on the bike. You can easily visit France, Belgium and Luxemburg from there, Or go more into Germany. 

And if you like top speed, Germany is your place! The Autobahn A4 is mostly unrestricted and as luck would have it, if you follow Calais-Aachen, its as soon as you enter Germany!! Marvelous!! 

The speed limits are ( in kms ) 30 or 50 inside towns, 80 to 100 A roads and 120 or unrestricted on Motorways. Those unrestricted motorways have controls that impose speed limits if there is bad weather or heavy traffic. Germans have impeccable lane discipline. Its a must, I have had the cruise control at 185 kph and was passed by 3 cars in succession well over my speed! No one changes lane without making sure there isn't a Porsche coming at 320 kph!! 

I find this attitude of teaching people well and trusting them to preform well, a marvelous thing! Coupled with serious enforcement and fines when rules like 80 kph on road works are not respected. Oh, and there you will not find 15 kms of cones without any work being done!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m not doing the organising of this trip someone else (whose a competent person) is doing it so I dont know where we’re going. Nürburgring, black forest, Mosel, Luxembourg and Belgium have all been mentioned though ? He chooses Eiffel because its quiet. 

Everyone who has been before mentions the tarmac is like silk. That they take road maintenance seriously and will resurface a whole road rather than let it fall into disrepair and patch it up like they do here.

Im really looking forward to the Autobahn ? I heard theyre starting to push for a speed limit to reduce CO2 emissions but its very unpopular.

Aah cone free roads, I thought they only existed in my dreams!

• Like 1

It is getting strange now, everywhere I turn there is the Nürburgring...

It started with Sabine Schmitz's death and watching some of her old videos around the ring.

Then reading these posts got me thinking about my future travels.  Especially after meeting people who have actually driven around the the ring.

Finally to top it off an old friend (from Germany) calls me out of the blue and says he might be moving back after living in Canada for awhile and I could stay at his place in Germany.

Destiny awaits....The ring calls.....?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Grasshopper's Ride said:

It is getting strange now, everywhere I turn there is the Nürburgring...

It started with Sabine Schmitz's death and watching some of her old videos around the ring.

Then reading these posts got me thinking about my future travels.  Especially after meeting people who have actually driven around the the ring.

Finally to top it off an old friend (from Germany) calls me out of the blue and says he might be moving back after living in Canada for awhile and I could stay at his place in Germany.

Destiny awaits....The ring calls.....?

The stars are in alignment (whatever that means) and Nürburgring is ? calling youooeeoo ooeeeoooo ? 

Well thats a nice ol’ friend to have. The plot thickens, we await the next instalment! ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Visiting the Ring as a tourist, to tour around the area without going for the track proper isn’t of any interest for me. Don’t get me wrong, the roads and the forest are pretty, but not as smooth as you are all taking in my opinion. It’s all about the track for me, I would rather go elsewhere with nicer weather and food instead if not missing the track so much.

I will make my way there on the bike because a couple of laps on a motorcycle should be done for sure, even if slower than before, that and to visit friends and the place itself, it’s my second home and a big part of my life once. Just being there might bring it all back, though, and make me pick it back up, which is something I don’t want yet.

If you go and don’t ride or drive the track, it’s a pointless trip as far as I see it. Cars passing you with well over 60% speed difference is pretty dangerous but then again, it is what it is. Rent a car and do it that way, safer and maybe more fun. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

If its bumpier than where I live I’ll eat my hat ? 

I really dislike german motorways, french and some portuguese ones are way better, but they do charge tolls, and quite a lot.

Damn this, now I started thinking about it and will look up some videos of the Nordschleife after dinner. This is not cool, it’s a slippery slope! Cocaine is a cheaper habit!

• Haha 1

I've never been one that's thought I'd like to ride a particular road, or in this case, track.

My thing has always been that I have to have an endpoint......you know, a reason to ride to a particular place.

So yes, I obviously want to enjoy the ride, but I need something at the end of it.

That's why these mobility restrictions do my head in.....I'm prevented from reaching the endpoints that I want.

I haven't been able to dot any more places on my abandoned railway station map for over 6 months now.

gssr-min.jpg.ea0d84bafc30a67426393d8eeede9cef.jpg

33 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I really dislike german motorways, french and some portuguese ones are way better, but they do charge tolls, and quite a lot.

Damn this, now I started thinking about it and will look up some videos of the Nordschleife after dinner. This is not cool, it’s a slippery slope! Cocaine is a cheaper habit!

Step away from the thread @Pedro theres nothing to see here ?

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, XTreme said:

I've never been one that's thought I'd like to ride a particular road, or in this case, track.

My thing has always been that I have to have an endpoint......you know, a reason to ride to a particular place.

So yes, I obviously want to enjoy the ride, but I need something at the end of it.

That's why these mobility restrictions do my head in.....I'm prevented from reaching the endpoints that I want.

I haven't been able to dot any more places on my abandoned railway station map for over 6 months now.

gssr-min.jpg.ea0d84bafc30a67426393d8eeede9cef.jpg

Could be worse, could have been over a year since you set foot in any of Spain ?

Joking aside I get it, it sucks. Like a lot of other people I was patient for the first year but now its run out, I NEED to travel!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Ok, just let me know after.

will you be riding the Himalayan?

24.5bhp would be a pretty fast way to piss everyone else off I reckon ?

Might take my r ninet but likely the Bandit 1250 for comfort over the distance. Bought it as a winter hack but it’s turned out to be a lot more fun than I anticipated. 

• Like 1