Tired of the snow pics yet?

Earache

Snowed another 10" last night so to the school at 4:00 AM to start shoveling. It looked really cool outside early this morning with all the fresh snow. But we're running outta places to put all of this shit...

20210324_053442.jpg

20210324_063644.jpg

20210324_064310.jpg

20210324_065523.jpg

20210324_065615.jpg

IMG_4530.JPG

IMG_4539.JPG

IMG_4544.JPG

IMG_4565.JPG

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, XTreme said:

That's just brutal....I couldn't cope with it!

It'll just be a memory in another month or so. Then off on some good bike trips with loads of biking photos.

• Like 2

I am sure it is a silly idea, but I'll ask anyway. Why not just put a carpet over that snow and have the kids walk over it? Then roll it back up for the night and do the same the next day?

3 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I am sure it is a silly idea, but I'll ask anyway. Why not just put a carpet over that snow and have the kids walk over it? Then roll it back up for the night and do the same the next day?

I'd vote for that.

But someone would slip, get hurt and then sue the school. So we shovel it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Earache said:

I'd vote for that.

But someone would slip, get hurt and then sue the school. So we shovel it.

I vote for heated steps, then.

14 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

I'm pretty certain Fred would second that idea ?

It would be cheap to run compared to fuel costs of driving there and back to shovel snow, just plumb the school's heating through the stairs and it'll work perfectly.

image.png.55d3878db4a8eb7b68a91562d9f27b73.png

Too much snow for me.  I am used to lots of green all the time.

Although I enjoy your snowy pictures very much.  :littleguy:

I moved to the only corner of my country that doesn't really get snow, growing up in it was enough.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Grasshopper's Ride said:

Too much snow for me.  I am used to lots of green all the time.

Although I enjoy your snowy pictures very much.  :littleguy:

I moved to the only corner of my country that doesn't really get snow, growing up in it was enough.

Where were you originally from Michelle?

Just now, XTreme said:

Where were you originally from Michelle?

I grew up in southern Ontario, which is more easterly Canada and in the middle of the Great Lakes, so we got LOTS of snow, some years we were climbing out the windows as the doors would be covered.  Then, as the only responsible one in the family I had to shovel the driveway, which was a short farmers road.....ahhhh back in the hard days....  ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Grasshopper's Ride said:

some years we were climbing out the windows as the doors would be covered. 

Bloody hell! And did you get months of weather like that?

• Like 1

Just now, XTreme said:

Bloody hell! And did you get months of weather like that?

Yes, normally it snowed from November to March, with December and January being really heavy and there were many days we were snowed in.

I did enjoy "snow" days from school.....AKA "we can't get the farm kids in today".....it always meant I could play in the snow after I dug out the house. ?

I don't think they get snow like that anymore, at least not there.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Grasshopper's Ride said:

Yes, normally it snowed from November to March, with December and January being really heavy and there were many days we were snowed in.

I did enjoy "snow" days from school.....AKA "we can't get the farm kids in today".....it always meant I could play in the snow after I dug out the house. ?

I don't think they get snow like that anymore, at least not there.

I couldn't survive in a climate like that.

13 minutes ago, XTreme said:

I remember the Winter of 62-63 in Britain......that's the worst I've ever known.

Pretty bad and yet even today in the worse weather the UK can muster most of us still venture out in our normal winter coat (usually one thinish layer of cheap wadding or a normal wool coat) and a pair of wellies (could we pick a less appropriate boot for the snow?) then we act surprised and complain how cold we are ??

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Dont think ‘The Shining’ and ‘Misery’ was the best introduction American winters, I’m waiting for an accompanying horror story! ?? 

"The Shining" was partially written and inspired by Stephen King's stay at the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, Colorado - just up the road from my house a bit. He stayed there through one of our snow storms and got the idea for the book.

See: https://www.stanleyhotel.com/ . They have ghost tours and stuff like that there. I've posted some pics of the Stanley in some of my ride reports.

From Wikipedia:

In 1974, during their brief residency in Boulder, Colorado, horror writer Stephen King and his wife Tabitha spent one night at the Stanley Hotel.[9] The visit is known entirely through interviews given by King in which he presents differing narratives of the experience. At the time of his visit, King was writing a book with the working title Darkshine set in an amusement park, but was not satisfied with the setting. According to George Beahm's Stephen King Companion, "on the advisement of locals who suggested a resort hotel located in Estes Park, an hour's drive away to the north, Stephen and Tabitha King found themselves checking in at the Stanley Hotel just as its other guests were checking out, because the hotel was shutting down for the winter season. After checking in and after Tabitha went to bed, King roamed the halls and went down to the hotel bar, where drinks were served by a bartender named Grady. As he returned to his room, numbered 217, his imagination was fired up by the hotel's remote location, its grand size, and its eerie desolation. And when King went into the bathroom and pulled back the pink curtain for the tub, which had claw feet, he thought, 'What if somebody died here? At that moment, I knew I had a book.'"[10]

In a 1977 interview by the Literary Guild, King recounted "While we were living [in Boulder] we heard about this terrific old mountain resort hotel and decided to give it a try. But when we arrived, they were just getting ready to close for the season, and we found ourselves the only guests in the place—with all those long, empty corridors." King and his wife were served dinner in an empty dining room accompanied by canned orchestral music: "Except for our table all the chairs were up on the tables. So the music is echoing down the hall, and, I mean, it was like God had put me there to hear that and see those things. And by the time I went to bed that night, I had the whole book [The Shining] in my mind."[11] In another retelling, King said "I dreamed of my three-year-old son running through the corridors, looking back over his shoulder, eyes wide, screaming. He was being chased by a fire-hose. I woke up with a tremendous jerk, sweating all over, within an inch of falling out of bed. I got up, lit a cigarette, sat in a chair looking out the window at the Rockies, and by the time the cigarette was done, I had the bones of The Shining firmly set in my mind."[12]

The Shining was published in 1977 and became the third great success of King's career after Carrie and 'Salem's Lot. The primary setting is an isolated Colorado resort named the Overlook Hotel which closes for the winter. In the front matter of the book, King tactfully states "Some of the most beautiful resort hotels in the world are located in Colorado, but the hotel in these pages is based on none of them. The Overlook and the people associated with it exist wholly in the author's imagination."[13]

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Earache said:

"The Shining" was partially written and inspired by Stephen King's stay at the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, Colorado - just up the road from my house a bit. He stayed there through one of our snow storms and got the idea for the book.

See: https://www.stanleyhotel.com/ . They have ghost tours and stuff like that there. I've posted some pics of the Stanley in some of my ride reports.

From Wikipedia:

In 1974, during their brief residency in Boulder, Colorado, horror writer Stephen King and his wife Tabitha spent one night at the Stanley Hotel.[9] The visit is known entirely through interviews given by King in which he presents differing narratives of the experience. At the time of his visit, King was writing a book with the working title Darkshine set in an amusement park, but was not satisfied with the setting. According to George Beahm's Stephen King Companion, "on the advisement of locals who suggested a resort hotel located in Estes Park, an hour's drive away to the north, Stephen and Tabitha King found themselves checking in at the Stanley Hotel just as its other guests were checking out, because the hotel was shutting down for the winter season. After checking in and after Tabitha went to bed, King roamed the halls and went down to the hotel bar, where drinks were served by a bartender named Grady. As he returned to his room, numbered 217, his imagination was fired up by the hotel's remote location, its grand size, and its eerie desolation. And when King went into the bathroom and pulled back the pink curtain for the tub, which had claw feet, he thought, 'What if somebody died here? At that moment, I knew I had a book.'"[10]

In a 1977 interview by the Literary Guild, King recounted "While we were living [in Boulder] we heard about this terrific old mountain resort hotel and decided to give it a try. But when we arrived, they were just getting ready to close for the season, and we found ourselves the only guests in the place—with all those long, empty corridors." King and his wife were served dinner in an empty dining room accompanied by canned orchestral music: "Except for our table all the chairs were up on the tables. So the music is echoing down the hall, and, I mean, it was like God had put me there to hear that and see those things. And by the time I went to bed that night, I had the whole book [The Shining] in my mind."[11] In another retelling, King said "I dreamed of my three-year-old son running through the corridors, looking back over his shoulder, eyes wide, screaming. He was being chased by a fire-hose. I woke up with a tremendous jerk, sweating all over, within an inch of falling out of bed. I got up, lit a cigarette, sat in a chair looking out the window at the Rockies, and by the time the cigarette was done, I had the bones of The Shining firmly set in my mind."[12]

The Shining was published in 1977 and became the third great success of King's career after Carrie and 'Salem's Lot. The primary setting is an isolated Colorado resort named the Overlook Hotel which closes for the winter. In the front matter of the book, King tactfully states "Some of the most beautiful resort hotels in the world are located in Colorado, but the hotel in these pages is based on none of them. The Overlook and the people associated with it exist wholly in the author's imagination."[13]

Thanks for that. I’m definitely gonna stay there! ? 

Thanks for that. It looks beautiful and wild. I had a look and apparently Misery was also filmed in Colorado. It was at least 20 years ago I watched either of those films so its clearly a very striking place!

Colarado wasn’t ever on my hit list but it is now!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Colarado wasn’t ever on my hit list but it is now!

Colorodo is a great place to visit, if you get a chance do go, even their popular resorts are cool places

Vail was right off the highway and i liked skiing there anyways, nice mountain. The Alps were a scary place to ski, dint like them at all.

:wave:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, XTreme said:

I remember the Winter of 62-63 in Britain......that's the worst I've ever known.

I can just remember that, we had to take the train to go to my Nan's at Clevedon (only 15 miles away) , it was a steam train as well.  Very excting for a 5 year old :dancebanana:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, boboneleg said:

it was a steam train as well. 

Now you're talking Bob!

I grew up overlooking Swansea Bay Station.....till they closed it in 1964.

Notice the tallest building on the skyline? That was where I went to Junior School.

8638634008_e2293bb704_b-min.jpg.85455e88a8ed4fbe342593c2dc597f96.jpg

• Like 4