Underground toilets-Pictures recovered for Pete's delectation.

yen_powell

Looking for the pictures of the Norfolk rally on my back up drives and found the toilet pictures Pete keeps mentioning. Everyone should have a hobby and mine is old toilets. This is Leyden Street toilets, built circa 1910 according to the drawings I have on my garage wall. It's been closed up since about 1970, but I persuaded my mate to let me have a look round. They don't build them like this any more. It used to have urinettes in the ladies according to my drawings. This is for ladies in Edwardian dresses to wee standing up by standing with a leg either side. Unfortunately even the local prostitutes the area is famous for refused to do this as they considered it unladylike and they spent a penny instead and used the normal cubicles. The urinettes were removed after a few years.

P1160082.JPG

P1160083.JPG

P1160087.JPG

P1160090.JPG

P1160091.JPG

P1160092.JPG

P1160094.JPG

P1160095.JPG

P1160096.JPG

P1160100.JPG

P1160102.JPG

P1160105.JPG

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Tym said:

Make pubs out of them. :littleguy:

They did that with one in Whitechapel. A large pink coach full of commuters went out of control, hit the part that was above the footway and demolished it, I don't think it ever re-opened. The one at the top of Brick Lane is now an estate agents. The one in the pictures has something planned for it I hear on the grapevine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, yen_powell said:

They did that with one in Whitechapel. A large pink coach full of commuters went out of control, hit the part that was above the footway and demolished it, I don't think it ever re-opened. The one at the top of Brick Lane is now an estate agents. The one in the pictures has something planned for it I hear on the grapevine.

Was Buckster driving? lol Even got a name, "From Pubes to Pubs".  :classic_unsure:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I should mention that there is a sign outside these toilets that demonstrates that sometimes people just don't think things through before acting. I can't find my picture of it, but you can just about see it on GSV. 

image.png.0a7a08ee7747c90bbe0ea4264e157d67.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Grasshopper's Ride said:

I see the thread title, I say to myself as I eat breakfast, don't click on that right now.....  

DAMN IT, I have no self-restraint these days. :classic_laugh:

But it wasn't that bad.... ?

It would have been if Yen had taken a dump in there! :classic_laugh:

• Haha 3

38 minutes ago, Buckster said:

I expect you find these better for your cottaging exploits given the extra space when the thrones are removed Yen.

You've got to give yourself room to work.

I'll see if we have the original drawings scanned anywhere, they are a work of art, back in the days when draftsmen took pride in their work or maybe just paid by the line. I've got a print but it's the size of a desk top, the original is drawn on linen.

• Like 2

I was wondering if the Victorian underground toilets by High St Station in Swansea were still there. Bear in mind it's nearly 30 years since I was there......but this is how it looked!

spacer.png

So I looked on Google Maps! And it turns out that sometime over those years the whole area has been completely changed......and they're long gone!

1126021576_Screenshot2021-02-19215037-min.jpg.b75aba1583c1803223d851579062b9bc.jpg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, XTreme said:

I was wondering if the Victorian underground toilets by High St Station in Swansea were still there. Bear in mind it's nearly 30 years since I was there......but this is how it looked!

spacer.png

So I looked on Google Maps! And it turns out that sometime over those years the whole area has been completely changed......and they're long gone!

1126021576_Screenshot2021-02-19215037-min.jpg.b75aba1583c1803223d851579062b9bc.jpg

such is life

2 hours ago, XTreme said:

Imagine if somebody went down there for a dump and they sealed it up without knowing he was in there? 

@yen_powell.......ever heard of this happening?

I had a colleague who claimed that he was inside the concrete walls of a flyover in Barking when they were due to fill it full of wet pour concrete without realising he was there. He obviously made it out alive though. This is him https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoxton_Tom_McCourt definitely one of life's characters, first person I sat next to at the council, I never understood one word in 10 most of the time. Years later when he had risen through the ranks his P.A.s struggled when he dictated letters and when they brought out MS Office that could type what you said it failed miserably.

I used to have to collect/put back traffic counting machines from a basement room with a steel door about 18 inches thick. I was paranoid about the door accidentally shutting on a Friday afternoon and being stuck there all weekend.

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, yen_powell said:

I had a colleague who claimed that he was inside the concrete walls of a flyover in Barking when they were due to fill it full of wet pour concrete without realising he was there. He obviously made it out alive though. This is him https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoxton_Tom_McCourt definitely one of life's characters, first person I sat next to at the council, I never understood one word in 10 most of the time. Years later when he had risen through the ranks his P.A.s struggled when he dictated letters and when they brought out MS Office that could type what you said it failed miserably.

I used to have to collect/put back traffic counting machines from a basement room with a steel door about 18 inches thick. I was paranoid about the door accidentally shutting on a Friday afternoon and being stuck there all weekend.

I knew you'd be the expert on men in public lavatories Yen! :classic_laugh:

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, yen_powell said:

You have a long history of shitting yourself over stuff.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, XTreme said:

@yen_powell.....did you spot any Abandoned Turds....like from the Victorian era?

Not down there. I once walked the Victorian sewer that runs under The Highway in Wapping. It was small so that you had to waddle along with your hands against the sides so you didn't fall into the grim contents. You have to waddle through water, wall to wall turds and toilet paper. The stench when they opened up the manhole covers to vent the sewer is appalling. I was told that my nose would switch off when I got down there and they were correct, quite amazing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

Not down there. I once walked the Victorian sewer that runs under The Highway in Wapping. It was small so that you had to waddle along with your hands against the sides so you didn't fall into the grim contents. You have to waddle through water, wall to wall turds and toilet paper. The stench when they opened up the manhole covers to vent the sewer is appalling. I was told that my nose would switch off when I got down there and they were correct, quite amazing.

You certainly get about a bit Yen.

But why were you walking up a sewer?