Motorcycle Show Earls Court London 1972

XTreme

I mentioned in another thread where a bunch of us left the pub at closing time and drove up to London in an old minibus to see this show in November 1972.

We were all aged between 16 and 19 (I was 18) and for many of us it was the first time we'd ever been to London. The world was a much smaller place then you see.

Amazing to think that was nearly 50 years ago now (I had a Suzuki 250 Hustler at the time).....but I wonder how many of us on that trip are still here? I know a few didn't make it through the 70's unfortunately.

Anyway, this event was the first showing of the legendary Z1 in the UK......the importers then were Agrati.

spacer.png

And after a bit of searching on the net I've managed to find the original handbook for that event in PDF format.

So if you want a trip back in time CLICK HERE!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XTreme said:

I mentioned in another thread where a bunch of us left the pub at closing time and drove up to London in an old minibus to see this show in November 1972.

We were all aged between 16 and 19 (I was 18) and for many of us it was the first time we'd ever been to London. The world was a much smaller place then you see.

Amazing to think that was nearly 50 years ago now (I had a Suzuki 250 Hustler at the time).....but I wonder how many of us on that trip are still here? I know a few didn't make it through the 70's unfortunately.

Anyway, this event was the first showing of the legendary Z1 in the UK......the importers then were Agrati.

spacer.png

And after a bit of searching on the net I've managed to find the original handbook for that event in PDF format.

They have my first road legal on that brochure the mobylette 50.?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Swagman said:

They have my first road legal on that brochure the mobylette 50.

You got caught under the 73 Moped law then Keith?

And they also brought in compulsory helmets that year as well.

3 minutes ago, Clive said:

I don't have any arthritis (yet?).....got a glass back, but that's not due to arthritis.....wife unfortunately had it bad in her knees (knee replacement helped) in her feet, and slightly in her hips....so I feel lucky.?

Wife's got osteoarthritis......it seems to be that older women are more prone to it than men.

11 hours ago, Richzx6r said:

Can't be many of you old codgers left nowadays eh pete

There are more old codgers riding bikes than young guns, the UK authorities do nothing to encourage youngsters to take up motorcycling despite the obvious advantages .  In Europe it's completely different.

• Like 2

Just now, yen_powell said:

In 1972 I was not long out of the remedial reading class (but still struggling due to I.T.A) and making Saturn V rockets out of plasticene because moon landings were all over the television.

But you grew out of it Yen.....and moved on to cruising the graveyards! :classic_unsure:

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Clive said:

There seems to be so many hoops for potential new riders to have to jump through, and the cost to get a full license, can understand why they don't any further than 50cc or 125cc.

Pass the car test on Monday in 1.2 Clio, and Tuesday out in 2.5 car of some description.

Exactly Clive , plus getting insurance kills them.  It's been going on for years, the dumbasses in charge go on about congestion and the answer is staring them in the face.

32 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

Exactly Clive , plus getting insurance kills them.  It's been going on for years, the dumbasses in charge go on about congestion and the answer is staring them in the face.

When there was a British motorcycle industry the carnage never seemed to bother them.

Course in 73 it all changed cos the Japs had killed them off! So along came the moped laws, compulsory helmets......and all the other obstacles to getting a licence they've put in place since! None of which I understand.

So the thinking seemed to be that it was fine to wipe yourself on a Bantam cos it was British......but god forbid you should do that on a Jap before they'd made money out of you.

Point of interest here......I never killed myself on my D7 Bantam. Not many fatalities went down when you were pushing a bike you see.

But my awful experiences with BritShit served me well in 2007 when I had to push Magnum's Guzzi to the bike shop......cos he was too fucking fat to do it. :twat:

push3.jpg.10a73c12580aa66d25522954601ce810.jpg

push4.jpg.a179a95d3be35d38d3978141481697f3.jpg

push5.jpg.f4eeac50eb4df5fbd0a7507081ed8a69.jpg

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Bruce said:

Back in the days before you were bleached white. Anyway, why are you pushing a mates bike? You didn't offer that service to Dell and he had a broken leg.

Dell and Lyn's bikes got collected by Magnum and taken back to Britain for them for a song.

So I had to repay the favour to Magnum......that's the way I roll! It's a biker thing Bruce......you wouldn't understand.

Neither do I of course......cos I'm not a biker. You've got to be in a little local biker club wearing a patch and swilling beer in a field of mud to qualify!  :classic_laugh:

And somehow that lifestyle choice never appealed to me somehow! 

leonardo dicaprio laughing GIF

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, XTreme said:

You got caught under the 73 Moped law then Keith?

And they also brought in compulsory helmets that year as well.

Yeah that’s right if I’d been 6 months older could have got a bigger bike in the first place, but the amount of times I came off the moped I may have been dead on a bigger bike.?

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, XTreme said:

spacer.png

didn't agrati have something to do with garelli's

2 minutes ago, Swagman said:

Yeah that’s right if I’d been 6 months older could have got a bigger bike in the first place, but the amount of times I came off the moped I may have been dead on a bigger bike.?

We bounced well though! 

1 minute ago, XTreme said:

We bounced well though! 

Yeah we did I wouldn’t want to try it now, although there has been many a moron in cars tried.?

• Like 1