So you go on Bike Forums?

XTreme

Nothing wrong with the company I keep Bruce...you guys on here seem like a very balanced group of people.
Where's Twoesme these days? ????

• Like 1

I enjoyed bookface when I first signed up. Got to talk to my brother which doesn't happen, he only lives round the corner. In fact I kept in touch with all my family on there.
I knocked it on the head when I'd had my fill of ads and and bogus warnings of scams my family kept sending.

I've always been on forums, for bikes and info nothing else. Met some good people along the way too. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Toph said:

Thanks to Pete for setting this up after Maxbikes shut down

Thanks Chris! The background to this place is that this came about as a result of the hardcore lockdown early last year when the combination of being incarcerated and not able to ride for 9 weeks with only Facebutt to look at did my head in.

Plus.....it gave me the opportunity to try and finally achieve what I wanted to do with DSUK in 2004......which was unfinished business in my book.

Virtually everybody on here came from DSUK to MB (a few actually came from it's predecessors BZ and GB)........so MB was actually just a point on the journey, it wasn't what was planned as the original destination for DSUK. The original plan was for a UK/EU version of ButtRider.......and that's the objective here! 

This place isn't just for people with Adv Bikes.....it's for everybody. The person is more important than the bike. So put the word about where you can.....I'm sure there's plenty of others who've had a gutful of FB.

• Like 1

I have always preferred the forum format to FB and was only dragged kicking and screaming into FB when max bikes dies and was reincarnated into an FBgroup which was stillborn. 

I have said before that I am an asocial person, perfectly happy to just do my own thing and feel no "need" to frequent other people or groups of people. I have tried, and have, over the years, signed up to a myriad of forums and FB groups at one time or another but I always unsubscribe within a few weeks for one reason or another. the only exceptions to that have been Max bikes ( and now here) and Les Motards Bourguignon which again started as a forum and transmogrified more or less successfully onto FB. 

Why?  it's beyond me, On max bikes there was always that indefinable something that made me feel comfortable, so I stayed. it is, by definition "indefinable", though I think a large part of it is the lack of judgementalism ( piss taking and so on sure, but not seriously judgemental) which probably goes along with the average age of the inmates and the policy of no politics or religion which means that despite having to automoderate sometimes, there are few inflammatory posts or subjects that people are not capable of walking away from and ignoring. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, MooN said:

I have always preferred the forum format to FB and was only dragged kicking and screaming into FB when max bikes dies and was reincarnated into an FBgroup which was stillborn. 

I have said before that I am an asocial person, perfectly happy to just do my own thing and feel no "need" to frequent other people or groups of people. I have tried, and have, over the years, signed up to a myriad of forums and FB groups at one time or another but I always unsubscribe within a few weeks for one reason or another. the only exceptions to that have been Max bikes ( and now here) and Les Motards Bourguignon which again started as a forum and transmogrified more or less successfully onto FB. 

Why?  it's beyond me, On max bikes there was always that indefinable something that made me feel comfortable, so I stayed. it is, by definition "indefinable", though I think a large part of it is the lack of judgementalism ( piss taking and so on sure, but not seriously judgemental) which probably goes along with the average age of the inmates and the policy of no politics or religion which means that despite having to automoderate sometimes, there are few inflammatory posts or subjects that people are not capable of walking away from and ignoring. 

But you came on when it was DSUK Chris.....the merge to MB came later on.

From what I can recall, the only ones here who actually joined MB were Specs and Toph. So bearing in mind the longevity of MB it didn't actually bring in many new members. And ultimately that proved to be it's downfall.

13 hours ago, Bruce said:

at least you are more respectable now, bike wise, the company you keep though, leaves a lot to b e desired. Who am I to point fingers though

right again ?

15 hours ago, XTreme said:

Didn't they go to that Big Trailie one that Bob goes on.....but it doesn't seem to get much activity.

Big Trailie is pretty dead as well, I don't go there much at all now. 

• Like 2

Just now, boboneleg said:

Big Trailie is pretty dead as well, I don't go there much at all now. 

I remember I posted on there a few times.....and you were the only one who ever spoke to me! So they didn't do themselves any favours by not engaging a new member.

That's why I encourage people to interact with new members straight away.....make them feel a part of the place.

Yes...I know @Buckster has his own way of doing that, but it's too late in the day for him to change now! :classic_laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, XTreme said:

I remember I posted on there a few times.....and you were the only one who ever spoke to me! So they didn't do themselves any favours by not engaging a new member.

That's why I encourage people to interact with new members straight away.....make them feel a part of the place.

Yes...I know @Buckster has his own way of doing that, but it's too late in the day for him to change now! :classic_laugh:

It's more cliquey than XRV, those that are on there have all known each other for years .

That's not a critisism, just the way it is.

• Like 2

Just now, boboneleg said:

It's more cliquey than XRV, those that are on there have all known each other for years .

That's not a critisism, just the way it is.

Same here in terms of longevity Bob......but we're not cliquey in any way.

That's something I'm always very aware of.....because once a forum gets an insular attitude these days, it's the Kiss of Death!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Same here in terms of longevity Bob......but we're not cliquey in any way.

That's something I'm always very aware of.....because once a forum gets an insular attitude these days, it's the Kiss of Death!

No not anymore I don’t.?

• Like 1

I have to use facefuck for work related stuff in my shop. But I don't post political shit, personal stuff or the like. Hell, I don't even use my real name. It's a necessary evil.

Have always liked the format of Forums better - easier to post pics of rides, etc.

• Like 3

I am on Facebook WAY too much, but prefer forums. With all the political bullshit that's been going on here lately I've wanted to leave FB (My wife did years ago) but the one thing that keeps me there is the 3D printer groups, or one group in particular. I also use FB Marketplace to sell things rather than Craigslist these days but that's secondary. 

I much prefer forums over Facebook due to the lack of ads and infuriating opions from complete fucking idiots who should know better. And, things get lost in FB. Have you ever tried to go back to a post on FB? Once you leave the page and come back everything's different. Drives me fooking nuts when I'm looking for info I know I saw there. 

So I'd leave Facebook if there was a forum for my particular printer that had the same people on it, but for now the user group there is a great way to get quick contact with the guys who write the firmware and know about mods, etc. I have also started using Discord for that but the Facebook group is more user friendly. 

And, of course, goes without saying, but Facebook is one more place I can stalk Earache. ?

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, DesmoDog said:

I much prefer forums over Facebook due to the lack of ads and infuriating opions from complete fucking idiots who should know better. And, things get lost in FB. Have you ever tried to go back to a post on FB? Once you leave the page and come back everything's different. Drives me fooking nuts when I'm looking for info I know I saw there. 

I know the feeling all to well! 

• Like 1