Chain Maintenance

Grasshopper

Clean & Lube -OR- Just Lube  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Do you clean your chain before lubing it or just lube it?

• I clean my chain before applying fresh lube. Look at that sparkle!
    • I lube my chain when needed and leave the cleaning to another day.

I was speaking with a young lass the other day, about chain maintenance.  I noted she just lubed her chain after a ride without cleaning it first.  She said, "oh I never clean the chain, just lube it".

Now stop giggling Pete, I'm trying to add some content here.....??

I have always cleaned my chain before applying fresh lube, for many reasons that seem logical to me.

How about you?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I clean it when I wash the bike, which is not as bad as it seems because I tend to wash the XR almost every time I ride it as it gets really muddy. By cleaning it, I mean spraying some chain cleaner and rinsing off.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tym said:

These modern chains are amazing, my simple o ring  on my KLR is at over 20k miles now and doing fine. :littleguy:

Yes.....KLR chains are renowned for outlasting the motors!

Will Ferrell Lol GIF

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BusBoy said:

Very much depends on the chain type and what you are cleaning it with. O and X ring chains can wear quicker if you use any solvents or degreasers to clean them with and that includes oiling. I prefered chain grease or a silicon / bees wax on the rollers to preserve the sprocket teeth but left the links alone

My manual says soak it in 80w gear oil, throw it back on,.. same advice 100 years ago, how old are KLR's again.

:classic_unsure:

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BusBoy said:

At least it's 80W and not WD40

Anything that displaces water is useless for my bikes. Was never there in the first place.

Thats the proper way to disperse  water from my bikes.

:banana121or:

1 hour ago, Tym said:

Anything that displaces water is useless for my bikes. Was never there in the first place.

Thats the proper way to disperse  water from my bikes.

:banana121or:

No washing?

34 minutes ago, Pedro said:

No washing?

I never use water to wash a motorcycle, youd have to be nuts to spary water at these things, none of the connectors used in the wiring are even remotely sealed like i would if i wired a boat.

Where is the heat shrink adhesive lined tubing on your GS? Bet you cant find any. You can when i wire. 

:wave:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lone Amigo said:

You are way more than a simple cleaner, my good sir!

You are an Elite Cleaner under the supervision of The Duck!

The luckiest duck in Spain and probably the oldest duck in the world Rog! She's now 14!

• Like 1

I lube after washing, or whenever I think it needs it. I clean the chain from time to time when I have time but not systematically. with a paintbrush and parrafin ( I'm sure that will make some people cringe) 

• Like 2

I'm not a cleaner so just dump lube on whenever it needs it but since i switched to using gear oil the chain seems to be almost self cleaning. Just remember this is the XR and its a bit like a gay boy because its usually up to its nuts in shit :classic_laugh:

!cid_B9A0CB3A-F423-4F25-81FF-ACE6F3523C47.thumb.jpg.0a5cf25249cc4a1bb8cbedd540db23d1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I'm not a cleaner so just dump lube on whenever it needs it but since i switched to using gear oil the chain seems to be almost self cleaning. Just remember this is the XR and its a bit like a gay boy because its usually up to its nuts in shit :classic_laugh:

!cid_B9A0CB3A-F423-4F25-81FF-ACE6F3523C47.thumb.jpg.0a5cf25249cc4a1bb8cbedd540db23d1.jpg

Looks like you've got half a fucking field up by your front sprocket Fred? 

I was expecting to see livestock come trotting out!

• Haha 4

58 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Looks like you've got half a fucking field up by your front sprocket Fred? 

I was expecting to see livestock come trotting out!

That's nothing you want to see whats stuck in the sump guard it will have to come off after tomorrows ride for a deep clean :classic_laugh:

• Like 1

On 18/12/2020 at 04:35, Grasshopper's Ride said:

I was speaking with a young lass the other day, about chain maintenance

Two lasses speaking about chain maintenance, I like that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1