bmw k100 rs. storing it for 10 years or more

have a bmw k100 rs that hasn't run since 2019, i filled the tank up with gas and stabilizer to prevent rust in the tank.

other than that i didn't do much.

i read that you should put fresh oil when storing for a long time because oil turns acidic and can damage the engine.

I'm very skeptical of this claim and i think there is no evidence supporting it, am i wrong?

lets start with the shaft drive oil, my Toyota went from 2008, 200k, until a few months ago without a differential and transfer case oil change. no issues that's 16 years of running the car almost daily.

now, about the engine oil, how exactly would it hurt even if it turned acidic? what components could it damage just sitting there not running?

does anyone have evidence supporting these claims or is this just bro science?

to be honest i really can't be bothered to change the oil and spend some money on new oil that will have to be drained away anyways when the bike will come out of storage.

guessing there are no issues with the coolant turning corrosive and such?

anything else to do for this long term storage?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Datboi said:

have a bmw k100 rs that hasn't run since 2019, i filled the tank up with gas and stabilizer to prevent rust in the tank.

i read that you should put fresh oil when storing for a long time because oil turns acidic and can damage the engine.

I'm very skeptical of this claim and i think there is no evidence supporting it, am i wrong?

lets start with the shaft drive oil, my Toyota went from 2008, 200k, until a few months ago without a differential and transfer case oil change. no issues that's 16 years of running the car almost daily.

now, about the engine oil, how exactly would it hurt even if it turned acidic? what components could it damage just sitting there not running?

to be honest i really can't be bothered to change the oil and spend some money on new oil that will have to be drained away anyways when the bike will come out of storage.

I'd definitely change the oil.......but others can advise on coolant.

I don't know much about that bike but the worse thing now with storing bikes for a long time is the fuel.  I see that you've used a stabilizer but that doesn't always stop the injectors getting gummed up.

Just now, boboneleg said:

I don't know much about that bike but the worse thing now with storing bikes for a long time is the fuel.  I see that you've used a stabilizer but that doesn't always stop the injectors getting gummed up.

yeah i plan on draining it all out when time comes to use the bike, about injectors, I was told it's not an issues - unlike carbs they don't store much if any fuel inside the injector itself, is this information wrong?

• Like 1

Just now, Datboi said:

yeah i plan on draining it all out when time comes to use the bike, about injectors, I was told it's not an issues - unlike carbs they don't store much if any fuel inside the injector itself, is this information wrong?

It might be warmer (less humid) where you are but we get problems with blocked injectors and expanding fuel hoses with the crap fuel and humidity here

3 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

It might be warmer (less humid) where you are but we get problems with blocked injectors and expanding fuel hoses with the crap fuel and humidity here

what would be the solution? i ran the bike dry initially, but the issue is that the tank can rust, that's why I filled it back up. we can only get e5 or e10 garbage fuel here unfortunately 

42 minutes ago, XTreme said:

I'd definitely change the oil.......but others can advise on coolant.

Steve Coogan Shrug GIF fixed for you pete

• Haha 1

If it’s been untouched since 2019, all that could go wrong has already happened. Worry about it when you get it going, or you’ll just end up doing the same thing twice. Doing stuff to it now, without a few proper runs to eliminate humidity before storing it again will hurt more than do good.

Oil does get acidic from contact with combustion and fuel residues, humidity and time, hence it’s usually advised to change the oil yearly if you care about the engine and it gets little use. If the 10 or 15 Euros it costs to buy some cheap oil to put in it while not running is too much of an expense just let it be and do it when getting it to go again.

• Like 2

I would just try and start it first , keep your eye on the temperature gauge once it's been running for a couple minutes , turn it off and check the oil to make sure it's not milky .

If that's all good take it for a short run (keep close to home) to check that the brakes are still good.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Datboi said:

I would keep to the BMW service intervals, as a maximum, oil is cheaper than metal. Change it when you get it back on the road.

Or check your Toyota’s service manual to see what should be done on your motorcycle, if that makes sense. It doesn’t to me.

• Haha 1

On 09/04/2024 at 19:29, Datboi said:

Hello

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Marcel le Moose Fondler said:

Think we lost him....Beemer Bumm fuck was trying to get fresh with him...

Gay Kiss GIF

He will get plenty of that inside.