Getting my bike back on the road again.

Just now, zzzak said:

We only have school buses, no public transport at all, it keeps out the riff raff.

Here it keeps the riff raff in!

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Here it keeps the riff raff in!

Organise a mystery bus tour with free alcohol and dump them in Portugal.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, zzzak said:

Organise a mystery bus tour with free alcohol and dump them in Portugal.

With the Mexicans.

• Haha 1

Calipers are done, forgot to take photos but its a pair of calipers, the pistons cleaned up nicely and slid in like a Welsh shepherd getting into a well oiled gumboot. 

Next episode will be when the VHT cast aluminium paint arrives and once painted I can fit the pads and bolt them onto the bike, then a quick bleed and the major hurdle is out of the way.

Started to remove the radiator, the fins are a bit flattened in one area so I thought I'd lay it flat and smooth them out with a skewer but I'm not so keen to remove bits if I can avoid it.

I have unbolted it to move it forward to get at the front sparking plug so I might do the plugs first, they have a connector on them I've never seen before and I wonder what is the best way to take it off.

Don't want to damage it as it would probably take a year to get a replacement.

So here you go, calipers, one ready for paint, spark plug cap and damage to the radiator, as it doesn't leak I thought of giving it a quick spray.

20240501_150621.jpg

20240501_150720.jpg

20240501_150737.jpg

20240501_150840.jpg

20240501_150904.jpg

• Like 3

20240501_150840.jpg

That's know as a pencil coil. That's what used now instead of the HT lead and cap.
How many miles you done on this bike?

Should pull out after unplugging and could well be tight. Also known to be a basted if rust has got into it as it expands and locks itself in place. 

Had a few out in bits.

• Like 2

There should be a small clip here which you can depress with a flat bladed screwdriver, then pull gently backwards on the connector.

ktmplug.jpg.c50128121f1fa2736938adf199838f9b.jpg

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Catteeclan said:

20240501_150840.jpg

That's know as a pencil coil. That's what used now instead of the HT lead and cap.
How many miles you done on this bike?

Should pull out after unplugging and could well be tight. Also known to be a basted if rust has got into it as it expands and locks itself in place. 

Had a few out in bits.

Well I never had them on my 55 Speed Twin.

30 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

There should be a small clip here which you can depress with a flat bladed screwdriver, then pull gently backwards on the connector.

ktmplug.jpg.c50128121f1fa2736938adf199838f9b.jpg

Thank you, that's just the info I was seeking, however is that backwards or upwards, am I removing the cap or just the wiring ?

4 hours ago, boboneleg said:

I can’t remember whether you depress it or get the screwdriver underneath and lift it. It’s a long time since I worked on one.

Perhaps @Marcel le Moose Fondler may have the answer?

Been a long for me too...probably the same has my 1290...I'll have a look tonight..

• Like 2

The damage on the radiator looks like the cooling fins have been flattened easy to straighten with a small flat blade screwdriver a right pain in the arse to do but worth doing in your climate as it helps the cooling. Keep the jet wash away from the fins they flatten easy don't ask how i know.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, zzzak said:

Aha, clear as mud now.

image.png.80bfea2981be8c6cf1439a0a505e1a8e.png

Not made at all like what's on the 1290 now...it's got a solid lead going to coil and unplug further up by the tank...

Screenshot_20240501_173430_Chrome.jpg

58 minutes ago, Marcel le Moose Fondler said:

Not made at all like what's on the 1290 now...it's got a solid lead going to coil and unplug further up by the tank...

Screenshot_20240501_173430_Chrome.jpg

Thanks for that, I have been on a voyage of discovery on this one, here is one of the pencil coils, Denso # 129700 4571, to remove them safely there is a hole somewhere around where the head gasket is, if the coil is stuck spray a penetrating product in the hole, leave it for a while then hit it with compressed air and it will pop out like a brake piston, woohoo.

First cook your calipers then hang them on the line and spray them with VHT cast aluminium paint, they're out there in the sun baking away so I will soon be fitting the pads and bolting them back in place.

Need to get some 14x10x1 crush washers to attach the brake lines, robbing basterds at KTM want about $5 each plus postage, need six if I am to do the rear brake as well, found them online at six for $7.90 inc postage, thats saved me a decent bottle of red and a steak, it pays to shop around.

Hallelujah Brothers.

20240505_122555.jpg

20240505_123400.jpg

20240505_123633.jpg

20240505_124245.jpg

20240505_124250.jpg

20240505_124314.jpg

• Like 3

Pads are in and calipers loosely mounted, they look so good the lowers look like need a coat of paint as well.

Front wheel out and masking time.

Radiator to do next, nearly there.

• Like 2

Things are hotting up, got the pencil coils out, they were quite easy if you lift them right, so now the plugs are exposed, got my new thinwall plug socket out and no, its a 3/8" and I have a 1/4 and a 1/2, not to worry, a friend is coming tomorrow morning with a 3/8 socket set, so to fill in the time I painted the radiator after reverse flushing it.

20240506_115509.jpg

thumbnail_20240506_115517.jpg

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, zzzak said:

Don't get excited Pete but I started fitting the topbox mount earlier.

easy rider GIF

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, zzzak said:

Don't get excited Pete but I started fitting the topbox mount earlier.

Season 2 Nbc GIF by The Office

9 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Is that white dot top right a UFO

Well it's an object that appears to be flying and so far is unidentified so there's that.

• Haha 2