Electrical help needed

boboneleg

The headlight on my new (to me) Yamaha doesn't work (side light is fine) .There is no power at the bulb connector and then I traced to wiring to the fuse box and there is no power there.  I suspect it might be the relay at fault as I have power going in and as far as I can tell none coming out.

This is the (possible) culprit and Yamaha would like £83.42 for a new one . 

IMG_5936.thumb.JPG.3d5552a40169261de633d7f947292991.JPG

So could I just use something like this ....................

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ehdis-12VDC-Multi-Purpose-Relay-Standard/dp/B01JBRHG7M/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=1TYQMG92C88A1&keywords=motorcycle%2Bheadlight%2Brelay&qid=1696353837&sprefix=motorcycle%2Bheadlight%2Brelay%2Caps%2C119&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

• Like 2

"There is no power at the bulb connector and then I traced to wiring to the fuse box and there is no power there.  I suspect it might be the relay at fault as I have power going in and as far as I can tell none coming out"

You should be able to bridge 30 and 87 to get the light on. The other 2 should give you vehicle voltage with the bike running.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, boboneleg said:

The headlight on my new (to me) Yamaha doesn't work (side light is fine) .There is no power at the bulb connector and then I traced to wiring to the fuse box and there is no power there.  I suspect it might be the relay at fault as I have power going in and as far as I can tell none coming out.

This is the (possible) culprit and Yamaha would like £83.42 for a new one . 

IMG_5936.thumb.JPG.3d5552a40169261de633d7f947292991.JPG

So could I just use something like this ....................

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ehdis-12VDC-Multi-Purpose-Relay-Standard/dp/B01JBRHG7M/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=1TYQMG92C88A1&keywords=motorcycle%2Bheadlight%2Brelay&qid=1696353837&sprefix=motorcycle%2Bheadlight%2Brelay%2Caps%2C119&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

Steve Coogan Shrug GIF

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Buckster said:

There should be no issue as long as the connections are in the same format on both relays, relays are basic devices.

That's what I was hoping , I just wondered if there was any trickery going on inside them .

2 hours ago, Catteeclan said:

"There is no power at the bulb connector and then I traced to wiring to the fuse box and there is no power there.  I suspect it might be the relay at fault as I have power going in and as far as I can tell none coming out"

You should be able to bridge 30 and 87 to get the light on. The other 2 should give you vehicle voltage with the bike running.

I put my meter across 85 and 86 and got no reading at all , from that I presumed the relay was dead ?  I'll try what you said tomorrow 👍

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

That's what I was hoping , I just wondered if there was any trickery going on inside them .

This is a common relay wiring. 85 and 86 are the coil.  30  and 87 are your switch on this particular relay
image.png.3bb59f41b8361d44d8b8d319d27904fb.png

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Catteeclan said:

I love it when people say shit like that. 

Still doesn't mean shit to me, but it feels like you're Gandalf talking magic that you simply know from ages of experience.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

10 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

This is a common relay wiring. 85 and 86 are the coil.  30  and 87 are your switch on this particular relay
image.png.3bb59f41b8361d44d8b8d319d27904fb.png

Yes, the coil!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, boboneleg said:

I put my meter across 85 and 86 and got no reading at all , from that I presumed the relay was dead ?  I'll try what you said tomorrow 👍

Yes, you should have resistance between them so you're prob spot on.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, boboneleg said:

You would only get a reading between 85 and 86 if the light switch was on.