99€ To Reserve A Space To Buy A New Honda!

Tango

I was looking at the new Honda Transalp and Hornet 750 on the Honda France website and noticed a link to "register your interest" to buy the new Transalp 750. Intrigued,  I followed the link and it transpires that, for a 99€ deposit,  you can get your name put on a list in order to buy one! After registering your interest and stumping up your 99€, you then need to visit your Honda dealer within 14 days to actually place an order and once you've done that they'll condescend to let you know when you can expect to receive the bike!

It's not just in France. The Honda UK site has the same "deal"!

I don't know, am I missing something here?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Tango said:

I was looking at the new Honda Transalp and Hornet 750 on the Honda France website and noticed a link to "register your interest" to buy the new Transalp 750. Intrigued,  I followed the link and it transpires that, for a 99€ deposit,  you can get your name put on a list in order to buy one! After registering your interest and stumping up your 99€, you then need to visit your Honda dealer within 14 days to actually place an order and once you've done that they'll condescend to let you know when you can expect to receive the bike!

It's not just in France. The Honda UK site has the same "deal"!

I don't know, am I missing something here?

In short supply?

• Like 1

I think that's the way it works mostly everywhere now for a new model.  I had to pay £200 for my T700 to the dealer then Yamaha contacted me to OK the deal and then the dealer placed the order.

• Like 2

Just now, XTreme said:

In short supply?

Obviously they're new, but surely if you're interested in one you'd just rock up at the dealers and put a deposit down. Bearing in mind that there are no bikes available at the moment to test ride, so you'd be buying blind! 

It just struck me as bizarre?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tango said:

Obviously they're new, but surely if you're interested in one you'd just rock up at the dealers and put a deposit down. Bearing in mind that there are no bikes available at the moment to test ride, so you'd be buying blind! 

I'd want to go to a dealer, see it there in stock, then pull the trigger on the deal.

Last June I inquired about a new CB500X and I was told around 4 to 6 months availability........forget that!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, XTreme said:

I'd want to go to a dealer, see it there in stock, then pull the trigger on the deal.

Last June I inquired about a new CB500X and I was told around 4 to 6 months availability........forget that!

You'd want to at least sit on one before pulling the trigger? 

I know that there are big delays in the production of new vehicles, so maybe it's to give them an idea of demand before going into full scale production?

• Like 3

Damerells, my local Honda dealer, had a Hornet demonstrator and stock as well as Trans Alps.  It was about 3 weeks ago so they may well be gone now.   I know they had a demonstrator Hornet as the salesman offered me a test ride on it.  

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Tango said:

I agree Bob, it took me by surprise at the time but it seems to be the way things are going in the industry.  I suppose it could all be tied in with the amount of bikes bought on PCP deals  ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saul said:

Damerells, my local Honda dealer, had a Hornet demonstrator and stock as well as Trans Alps.  It was about 3 weeks ago so they may well be gone now.   I know they had a demonstrator Hornet as the salesman offered me a test ride on it.  

That's interesting.  I've not visited any of the local Honda dealers recently,  so they may well have demonstrators in. I'll have to check them out. 👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, boboneleg said:

I agree Bob, it took me by surprise at the time but it seems to be the way things are going in the industry.  I suppose it could all be tied in with the amount of bikes bought on PCP deals  ?

Maybe some can't get to dealers and don't want to waste a long journey only to find out that that there's a waiting list? 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Tango said:

That's interesting.  I've not visited any of the local Honda dealers recently,  so they may well have demonstrators in. I'll have to check them out. 👍

Thinking of a TA Bob?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, boboneleg said:

I think that's the way it works mostly everywhere now for a new model.  I had to pay £200 for my T700 to the dealer then Yamaha contacted me to OK the deal and then the dealer placed the order.

never had to do that years ago when i bought new bikes 

12 hours ago, skyrider said:

never had to do that years ago when i bought new bikes 

Yebbut, you haven't bought a bike since 1982 Lionel.  Things move on, fish and chips don't cost 2s 6d anymore either ............

Feeling Dumb Jim Carrey GIF

• Haha 5

So why not say fucking 6 pence instead of 6d d means fuck all and is wrong. 

By the way I did know I was just taking the piss.

Pre decimal backwards cunts, I bet it was pete who came up with it too 

Film Cooking GIF

• Haha 3

On 17/04/2023 at 17:41, XTreme said:

Thinking of a TA Bob?

I'm looking at a few bikes, Pete, but I need to try them out before making any kind of decision.  😉

• Like 2

11 hours ago, boboneleg said:

Yebbut, you haven't bought a bike since 1982 Lionel.  Things move on, fish and chips don't cost 2s 6d anymore either ............

Feeling Dumb Jim Carrey GIF

my last new bike was a 1991 xj 600 yam 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Tango said:

I'm looking at a few bikes, Pete, but I need to try them out before making any kind of decision.  😉

The Scrambler isn't a good fit for you Bob?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, XTreme said:

The Scrambler isn't a good fit for you Bob?

It's a good bike, Pete, but the range isn't great and it's no good for a pillion, so I may see if anything else fits the bill better.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Tango said:

It's a good bike, Pete, but the range isn't great and it's no good for a pillion, so I may see if anything else fits the bill better.

Tracer 9 or the Strom 1050 could be options if carrying a pillion is going to be a regular thing.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, XTreme said:

Tracer 9 or the Strom 1050 could be options if carrying a pillion is going to be a regular thing.

I don't think that carrying a pillion is going to be too often, but it needs to be available when the need arises. Given the state of some of our local roads, I think that the Tracer 7 & 9 are probably a little too road focused.  I've looked at the v-strom 650 and 800 at the local dealers. The 800 was a bit heavy. The 650 wasn't bad, but is looking a bit dated now, however, the XT version hasn't been discounted completely. 

I sat on a Tenere 700. It was like sitting on the top of a step ladder! Even I, at 6'1", was on tip toes! No way could Mandy climb on board that! And it's not really meant for pillions, even though it has pillion pegs.

• Like 3